Sign in to follow this  
mindtooloud

Following Systems

I have no idea what I ultimately wanna do with my practice so I don't know what system to follow, but is it necessary for me to follow a system? I want to just try different practices from all systems and try all the techniques there are and take the techniques that work for me and have somewhat "my own system"? 

i read on a few posts that its better to stick to one system. why is that? would it be possible for me to just go with my own flow and do what i want or would that mess something up?

my negative 2 cents

I have no idea what I ultimately wanna do with my practice so I don't know what system to follow, but is it necessary for me to follow a system? I want to just try different practices from all systems and try all the techniques there are and take the techniques that work for me and have somewhat "my own system"? 

i read on a few posts that its better to stick to one system. why is that? would it be possible for me to just go with my own flow and do what i want or would that mess something up?

my negative 2 cents

By all means do what you are most comfortable with, coupled with satisfactory results. That is the primary criteria and encouragement of correct practice, isn't it? 

By all means do what you are most comfortable with, coupled with satisfactory results. That is the primary criteria and encouragement of correct practice, isn't it? 

i suppose, but, eh. i suppose you are right. so when someone asks me what i follow i can just say i follow what works for me?

i suppose, but, eh. i suppose you are right. so when someone asks me what i follow i can just say i follow what works for me?

Or simply offer the questioner a heart smile without having to say anything  :)

You dont owe anyone any explanation nor do you need to justify your actions to anyone for as long as you are contented with your own thoughts and actions. 

• Like 2

Or simply offer the questioner a heart smile without having to say anything  :)

You dont owe anyone any explanation nor do you need to justify your actions to anyone for as long as you are contented with your own thoughts and actions. 

its not about owing an explanation or the other things you mentioned, its about me being able to know in my head that i don't have to follow a certain system, i like not having to identify,

i just asked it in that way to be able to clear it in my head. 

• Like 1

its not about owing an explanation or the other things you mentioned, its about me being able to know in my head that i don't have to follow a certain system, i like not having to identify,

i just asked it in that way to be able to clear it in my head. 

As mentioned above, if you are contented with not following or having to pledge your allegiance to any particular path, then by all means let that be your guiding force so long as it does not cause you any of the 3 Ds - doubts, discomfort and dissatisfaction. 

But the fact that you are here eliciting advice seems to indicate that you are not doubt-free all the time. 

What will you do now - do you stick with your own experiments, or take refuge in a proven path that offers clear-cut and systematic methods that will save you time and energy in getting to where you think is a (metaphorically speaking) satisfactory destination? 

As mentioned above, if you are contented with not following or having to pledge your allegiance to any particular path, then by all means let that be your guiding force so long as it does not cause you any of the 3 Ds - doubts, discomfort and dissatisfaction.

But the fact that you are here eliciting advice seems to indicate that you are not doubt-free all the time.

What will you do now - do you stick with your own experiments, or take refuge in a proven path that offers clear-cut and systematic methods that will save you time and energy in getting to where you think is a (metaphorically speaking) satisfactory destination?

I see.

i'm going to stick with my own experiments. I was never a follower.

Thanks for sharing your stuff with me

• Like 1

Of course you can do what you want, and no you don´t have to answer to anybody.  But then again, why not try a system for awhile and see if you like it?  Trying a system on for size doesn´t mean you have to make it part and parcel of your identity.  You don´t have to sign any contracts or take any oaths.  At least not in most cases.

It´s kind of like cooking.  If you´re an expert cook you know how the different ingredients work together and how to use them.  You can make an excellent meal just off the top of your head.  But what if you´ve never stepped foot in a kitchen before?  You might want to say, "hey, this Barfoot Condesa looks like she knows what she´s doing....why don´t I try a recipe of hers?"  If you don´t like it, try something else.  

Chances are that a tried and true system (spring forest, stillness-movement, sheng zhen....etc) that´s put together by a master, preferably someone that your fellow Bums vouch for, is more likely to be an efficient path to progress than what you cook up for yourself.

• Like 2

I spent six years trying out different methods before I found one that I resonated well with.

In my experience, following books instead of a teacher can lead to sideeffects including pain, hopefully you do not have to learn that the hard way.

You can always change method. But not stickning with one method for a longer time might give you a broad repertoare of beginner level basic exercises.

Edited by Mudfoot
  • Like 3

Of course you can do what you want, and no you don´t have to answer to anybody.  But then again, why not try a system for awhile and see if you like it?  Trying a system on for size doesn´t mean you have to make it part and parcel of your identity.  You don´t have to sign any contracts or take any oaths.  At least not in most cases.

It´s kind of like cooking.  If you´re an expert cook you know how the different ingredients work together and how to use them.  You can make an excellent meal just off the top of your head.  But what if you´ve never stepped foot in a kitchen before?  You might want to say, "hey, this Barfoot Condesa looks like she knows what she´s doing....why don´t I try a recipe of hers?"  If you don´t like it, try something else.  

Chances are that a tried and true system (spring forest, stillness-movement, sheng zhen....etc) that´s put together by a master, preferably someone that your fellow Bums vouch for, is more likely to be an efficient path to progress than what you cook up for yourself.

but if i use one technique from one system and then use another from another system, wouldn;t the mixture of the both somehow clash in my energy structure and mess things up a little

I spent six years trying out different methods before I found one that I resonated well with.

In my experience, following books instead of a teacher can lead to sideeffects including pain, hopefully you do not have to learn that the hard way.

You can always change method. But not stickning with one method for a longer time might give you a broad repertoare of beginner level basic exercises.

thats the problem, i don;t have teachers, where i live anything about energy is banned due to their religious beliefs. and as for books i dont really have that either dont have the money to buy em online, so all i have is free books i find online and articles and you guys.

• Like 1

If you are in the vincinity of Islam, some of the sufi branches might be interesting.

Are your interest medical/health, martial or spiritual aspects?

thats the problem, i don;t have teachers, where i live anything about energy is banned due to their religious beliefs. and as for books i dont really have that either dont have the money to buy em online, so all i have is free books i find online and articles and you guys.

smoke less you'll have money then  :P

but if i use one technique from one system and then use another from another system, wouldn;t the mixture of the both somehow clash in my energy structure and mess things up a little

I don´t think so.  The only real "danger" is from mixing systems at the same time.  Nothing wrong, in my opinion, with giving something a go, and then, if you discover it´s not for you, moving on to something else.

not following a system leads to neurotic thought patterns called "not following a system" whereas following a system will lead to neurotic thought patterns called "following a system"

I do pray you find a non-system to follow by radically being yourself as you are without extra gimmicks in order to undo yourself completely, utterly so that only the suchness of reality is left free of subject/object duality - all of that under the guidance of an expert master that is so selfless that he/she manifests as a pure polished mirror; the magical display of your own nature of mind

Edited by RigdzinTrinley

smoke less you'll have money then :P

Im 19 days sober, but only 2 days sober by choice. I've decided not to smoke anymore. I used to donate plasma for weed money and that was my only income and i stopped that too for meditative porpuses so now i have mo money. Internets my only souce of enlightenment.

If you are in the vincinity of Islam, some of the sufi branches might be interesting. Are your interest medical/health, martial or spiritual aspects?

Sufism is considered wrong according to Saudi's. I'm moving to Turkey soon and sufism is wide spread there i could get into it there. But this country is against anything that will lead you to enlightnement. Spiritual aspects, yes. Am interestedin that.

I don´t think so. The only real "danger" is from mixing systems at the same time. Nothing wrong, in my opinion, with giving something a go, and then, if you discover it´s not for you, moving on to something else.

But thats what i wanna do, take from each system a technique that i like, and use techniques from different systems and have my own "system", you said thats what the "danger" is, what is the danger in that? Edited by mindtooloud

But thats what i wanna do, take from each system a technique that i like, and use techniques from different systems and have my own "system", you said thats what the "danger" is, what is the danger in that?

Personally, I tend to think the "dangers" are overstated, but I´ll tell you what I´ve heard.  Suppose the goal of system X is to move energy up, and the goal of system Y is to move it down.  If you practice both systems at the same time, the best that can happen is that they cancel each other out and you won´t get the results you want.  In the worst case, the conflict between the systems might be harmful.

If you don´t have the expertise to know whether the practices you do complement each other or work against each other it might be wise to do one at a time.  At a minimum, you could separate the two practices a bit: do one in the morning, one at night, or else practice them on alternate days.

The potential dangers go up if you´re a super gungho practitioner and don´t stop if things start to feel off.

• Like 3

Personally, I tend to think the "dangers" are overstated, but I´ll tell you what I´ve heard.  Suppose the goal of system X is to move energy up, and the goal of system Y is to move it down.  If you practice both systems at the same time, the best that can happen is that they cancel each other out and you won´t get the results you want.  In the worst case, the conflict between the systems might be harmful.

If you don´t have the expertise to know whether the practices you do complement each other or work against each other it might be wise to do one at a time.  At a minimum, you could separate the two practices a bit: do one in the morning, one at night, or else practice them on alternate days.

The potential dangers go up if you´re a super gungho practitioner and don´t stop if things start to feel off.

that clears things out some more in my mind, thanks :)

• Like 1

not following a system leads to neurotic thought patterns called "not following a system" whereas following a system will lead to neurotic thought patterns called "following a system"

I do pray you find a non-system to follow by radically being yourself as you are without extra gimmicks in order to undo yourself completely, utterly so that only the suchness of reality is left free of subject/object duality - all of that under the guidance of an expert master that is so selfless that he/she manifests as a pure polished mirror; the magical display of your own nature of mind

im more of a not following a system neuron guy.the second paragraph i do not understand soz

<looks around to see if there are any woman watching.  sees none>

Systems are like woman.  When we're young we go out, have dates, play around, have fun.  Sooner or later we find the right gal, and the only way to get deep is to commit.  Once we do, our learning and practice accelerate.

• Like 2

There are many different systems, many different practices and many different goals that we can aspire to. There is no simple linear answer to your question. Though prayer for guidance may be a good place to start.

• Like 1

There are many different systems, many different practices and many different goals that we can aspire to. There is no simple linear answer to your question. Though prayer for guidance may be a good place to start.

Prayer for guidance from Allah?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this