Sign in to follow this  
Josama

I will be going to SE Asia soon, equipment recommendations?

I am wondering what equipment you can recommend for a trip to SE Asia. I am looking for a good bagpack that is waterproof and will allow me to pack my yoga mat.

What kind of shavor is preferable?

Should I bring a tent? (stupid question maybe)

Anything else, apart from the most obvious?

Never been to SE Asia, but from my backpacking days, less is more.  Cheap and light is good (as in $1 disposable or buy there).  Don't fold clothes, roll them up tightly.  Set it up so you can receive a picture sent to you of passport, credit cards-front and back, tickets, receipts and prescriptions.  Hit up some used books stores for thin travel guides.  Start listening to related travel podcasts.

See about gaining language basics before you leave.  People who've been there- Does it make sense to rent a moped or small motorcycle for getting around?  Or is that too dangerous for a novice there? 

• Like 1

SE Asia is massive. What is needed depends on your purpose of visit, and where you intend to go. 

Be careful. A few destinations of late are best avoided, especially some of the islands around East Malaysia. Quite a number of tourists, both local and foreign, have been kidnapped and later killed when ransom demands to govts were ignored. 

Common but potentially unpleasant experiences when roaming SE Asia include food/liquids poisoning, insect bites (especially dangerous would be mosquito bites and there are zillions of them there, and if unlucky, could easily catch dengue fever or malaria), or maybe upsetting the locals (both humans and spirits) by being unfamiliar with certain customs and taboos. Tales abound of visitors and tourists falling ill from accidental neglect or plain ignorance - for example, not heeding warnings to pacify local deities and elementals that guard certain places and even forests and some trees too - this can be done by making offerings and performing basic ritual sacrifices of various things which the local guide should advice. Of course all these are relevant only if you are planning to travel in the countryside. Cross-city travelling pose lesser risks in this regard, but mosquitoes unfortunately can strike anywhere. :) 

Also, be wary of fire ants, snakes, centipedes, and scorpions too. And don't venture too far from designated tracks and hiking paths. 

Stick to bottled water, and if you should find yourself being drawn to express your inner child when you happen to see a waterfall, of which there are plenty of them everywhere, don't get overly excited and jump in naked. The indigenous people have been known to shoot over-eager strangers with poison darts from their blow pipes.  :D

If you know where you are travelling to specifically then i may be able to offer more helpful tips.

Im Asian btw.  

• Like 3

Enjoing south east Asia as I type this.

Very muggy. Bugs of a good variety and size.

Bring cool clothing and don't bring anything you don't want soaked with rain and dew.

I'm using hotels, which seem to not be short on mosquitos even inside the rooms and hallways.

If I weren't in hotels, a tent with mosquito netting would be nice.

I have traveled Asia a few times a year for the last 8 years. The people are so kind and helpful, and the food is amazing. I've only had food poisoning from 5 star restaurants. Never had an issue eating from food vendor carts/bikes on the sides of the road.

Lots of hustlers with lots of creative cash hustling attempts to enjoy.

In my travels, the bigger the temple and the bigger the gold foiled Buddhas, the less wisdom and greater life discontentment. The most advanced Buddhist lifestyles I've seen here are from the folks you find sharing a pot of rice in the alleys early in the morning before they go to work. Some have shared profound wisdom with me through actions. The folks in orange robes I've met most often watch Chinese reality TV all day.

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

Edited by Bud Jetsun
  • Like 2

Enjoing south east Asia as I type this.

Very muggy. Bugs of a good variety and size.

Bring cool clothing and don't bring anything you don't want soaked with rain and dew.

I'm using hotels, which seem to not be short on mosquitos even inside the rooms and hallways.

If I weren't in hotels, a tent with mosquito netting would be nice.

I have traveled Asia a few times a year for the last 8 years. The people are so kind and helpful, and the food is amazing. I've only had food poisoning from 5 star restaurants. Never had an issue eating from food vendor carts/bikes on the sides of the road.

Lots of hustlers with lots of creative cash hustling attempts to enjoy.

In my travels, the bigger the temple and the bigger the gold foiled Buddhas, the less wisdom and greater life discontentment. The most advanced Buddhist lifestyles I've seen here are from the folks you find sharing a pot of rice in the alleys early in the morning before they go to work. Some have shared profound wisdom with me through actions. The folks in orange robes I've met most often watch Chinese reality TV all day.

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

:D

Taoist Texts : I hate crocs...

The countries I will visit for sure are India and Taiwan. Inbetween I will probably stay in (South) China or I might go to Thailand instead, but I doubt I will do both.

To be honest I don't plan to do that much backpacking, but rather I will try to spend at least a month at one monastery. Along the way I will also try and let myself be driven off along the river and see where I end up. However, I am highly unlikely to visit any countries as far south as Malaysia.

I already spent some time in Senegal before so I know already a little about what to pay attention to. The question was really just meant in regards to the equipment I should bring. Also, should I bring a notebook or use internet cafes on the go? I am really thinking of taking no electronics at all apart from my mobile....

Edited by Josama
  • Like 1

See if you can find a copy of this great adventure travel philosophy book 'The Gods Drink Whiskey: Stumbling Toward Enlightenment in the Land of the Tattered Buddha '  by Asma.  Great read with surprisingly deep information on Buddhism.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

I already spent some time in Senegal before so I know already a little about what to pay attention to. The question was really just meant in regards to the equipment I should bring. Also, should I bring a notebook or use internet cafes on the go? I am really thinking of taking no electronics at all apart from my mobile....

I only take my laptop/notebook on journeys with long stays. If travelling around, using planes trains and automobiles, walking a lot, and staying in places where I'm not entirely sure of security in advance (small hotels, hostels, tents, etc), having any expensive or electronic equipment that isn't entirely necessary can become quite a hassle. It can be useful, but in my opinion not enough to be worth it.

I'm not sure you need a computer if you're planning on getting as much experience as possible of the people and places you visit.

Plan a general route beforehand, figure out transport and accommodation, figure out when and where you'll have access to the internet in case you need it, and then forget about needing it because you'll be having far too much fun to think about Skyping family or checking Facebook or coming on TDB!

My other advice: don't forget insect repellent. You can obviously get it while you're there, but make sure you have it ASAP.

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 3

A nice knife, worn on the hip if it's OK...one of those little water purifier kits...perhaps some meds to cover diarhhea/dysentary (or whatever diseases might be present that locals are immune to but you aren't). Some say don't eat raw vegetables (diseases again), eat everything cooked as often as possible. Maybe don't shave - it makes you look tougher, and people less likely to mess with you. Don't really know actually...sunblock? It's equatorial, right? I had a bad experience in HI once (coming from NM, so thought I was used to it) where I got severely sunburned in a short time.

Thelerner : thx, I will look into it.

Dustybeijing : The only reason I am really planning to bring a laptop is to communicate with my family back home and for couchsurfing. Hmm now that I write it like that it seems all the more obvious not to take one. The mobile should be enough and I won't get a headache worrying about it.

Songstan : I am not a big fan of vegetables so you don't have to worry anout that. About looking tough part : I doubt I need to worry about that. Although I am only 1,85 m tall I have quite the broad shoulders/ back body build, like a scottish Highlander. Also, I have 'sharp' eyes. (Sadly) I certainly don't look like easy prey with or without beard.

• Like 2

These days with a smart phone, particularly with a bigger screen, allows you to get by without a laptop.  They do it all.   Double check this, but often all you need is to replace the sim card with a local one and you are off and running.  Skype and skype phone to phone calling being relatively cheap. 

• Like 1

I am some sort of a India wallah so here goes my advice:

one spiritual thing: relaxed mind, nothing will run like you want it to run, and that is okay, northing to grasp all is empty - enjoy the play of appearances

two mental things: don't buy anything for the price they want to sell it to you on the street - develop a nose that smells B.S. and all kinds of fraud. Be open and relaxed with people, be funny - they'll stop trying to bullshit you, if they say a wrong price for a riksha, taxi whatever..... just remind them that Bhagawan is watching and give em a smack on hte shoulder... (advanced street charisma in india, don't try it to early...)

couple material things: *Immodium, fantastic rain jacket (monsoon starts soon), good coffee and chocolate (for me if you come visit me in H.P.), flash light (still power cuts are pretty common here)... but you know you can buy almost anything here, from immodium like medicin to flash light. Even chocolate and coffee (but the good stuff is expansive)

*if its your first trip to india, my bowels are by now almost adamantine bowels, I can even eat street food (most of the time - hence "almost" adamantine)

if you never had diarreah on a local bus - you never really been in india :D

I dare say just from the bus rides in himachal pradesh my mulabandha became firm :D

Love and enjoy

Edited by RigdzinTrinley
  • Like 3

These days with a smart phone, particularly with a bigger screen, allows you to get by without a laptop.  They do it all.   Double check this, but often all you need is to replace the sim card with a local one and you are off and running.  Skype and skype phone to phone calling being relatively cheap. 

you get prepaid cards anywhere in india, ask the local shop owners what is the best card for international calls or internet or whatever you need - takes half a day to make

you can also ask if they have a simcard of a local person that they didn't need, then the card will never be closed (otherwise simcards only last upto 6months now for westerners - which if you want to stay longer or come more often, make expad and local friends etc is a real pain in the ass)

Whats your lifestyle like?  If you enjoy camping out, being out in the woods, or just really want to save money, a tent might be a smart thing to bring.  It will be a bit annoying carrying around, but if you use it fairly often it is worth it.

Lots of travelers in Central America (I was just there the past few months) had tablets, which seem like a good cross between a laptop and phone, easy to travel with, but a big enough screen.  Using a cell phone to type emails is pretty annoying, but it works.  I enjoyed taking a break from the computer, though.

I was able to use Skype with my phone in wifi spots- it is quite cheap and not that bad service.  I was surprised how well it worked.

A multi-use tool is always helpful.  If it is sunny, definitely get sun block... I wish I used more sunblock in Central America.  Also, I found it useful to get some travel bags to keep certain things (toiletries, tools, etc.) together.  Might be a good idea not to bring much clothes since you can find really cheap, awesome clothes there that you will probably want to buy anyway.  Stuff you can't find at home.  I loved the colorful clothes in Guatemala and wish I had more space to bring home more.

Happy travels!  I am thinking of doing SEA sometime... let us know how it goes ^_^ ^_^

I just realized that I forgot the most thing : I can't eat spicy food, (anything with chillies in it) because I have an allergy to it. So how careful do I need to be?

RigdzinTrinley : Thanks for the rest info. To be honest I am a terrible haggler because I can't say no to people and have low self-esteem in general. Are you going to attend the Kalachakra Initation in january?

Futuredaze : I have only camped a handful of times in my life^^ Truthfully, I don't plan to buy anything or do anything that could be considered tourism. I doubt I will be buying any souvenirs or clothes. All I want is to bring an end to my confusion.

Edited by Josama

Shopping at the markets is a pretty cool, interesting experience.  It can really challenging to try to bargain with someone while barely speaking their language... and then you feel good when you get a good price on something.  Not only that, but it is nice to support local economies and the clothes IMO is cool looking and often fits better than western clothes.  Sure it can be considered "touristy" but I don't think that should stop anybody from experiencing another place and culture.

To "bring an end to confusion," I would definitely recommend time in nature, which would make a tent very useful.  I don't think you need to go all the way to SE Asia, although it may definitely help.  Just to spend time in nature wherever we go, in solitude, can really help clear things up.  I don't know if confusion ever ends, even for enlightened beings... but I would not know as I am not one.  When I travelled, I often wondered "am I running away from something or am I running towards something?"  It could be quite confusing, but ultimately I realized I am running towards being present, seeing myself and reality clearly, and running away from illusion, living in untruth and habitual thinking and patterns.  Travel was just a tool in this greater quest, but a powerful tool indeed.  I am still confused, flawed, etc. -- but travel did help me have a bit more patience, and faith in the cosmos (which is faith in All that Is, quite useful for a former skeptic and pessimist).

Obviously, your experience will be unique but I have a good feeling it will be helpful.  Travel is something I'd always recommend to people, if they have the time and some degree of mental/emotional stability, that is.  Are you getting a one-way ticket or one with a return flight?

Edited by futuredaze
  • Like 1

I just realized that I forgot the most thing : I can't eat spicy food, (anything with chillies in it) because I have an allergy to it. So how careful do I need to be?

RigdzinTrinley : Thanks for the rest info. To be honest I am a terrible haggler because I can't say no to people and have low self-esteem in general. Are you going to attend the Kalachakra Initation in january?

Futuredaze : I have only camped a handful of times in my life^^ Truthfully, I don't plan to buy anything or do anything that could be considered tourism. I doubt I will be buying any souvenirs or clothes. All I want is to bring an end to my confusion.

time to grow beyond yourself then my brother ;)

I probably wont be attending because the prices in Gaya will skyrocket, if you can find a place to sleep/tent at all... best to already book something now.

I might be there before the Kalachackra, for one of the prayer festivals "Mönlam" and initiations connected with that, when H.H. DL bestows kalachackra it becomes like a little too intense for me

we can stay in contact via Daobums or if you like I can give you my indian phone number

Love

Shopping at the markets is a pretty cool, interesting experience.  It can really challenging to try to bargain with someone while barely speaking their language... and then you feel good when you get a good price on something.  Not only that, but it is nice to support local economies and the clothes IMO is cool looking and often fits better than western clothes.  Sure it can be considered "touristy" but I don't think that should stop anybody from experiencing another place and culture.

To "bring an end to confusion," I would definitely recommend time in nature, which would make a tent very useful.  I don't think you need to go all the way to SE Asia, although it may definitely help.  Just to spend time in nature wherever we go, in solitude, can really help clear things up.  I don't know if confusion ever ends, even for enlightened beings... but I would not know as I am not one.  When I travelled, I often wondered "am I running away from something or am I running towards something?"  It could be quite confusing, but ultimately I realized I am running towards being present, seeing myself and reality clearly, and running away from illusion, living in untruth and habitual thinking and patterns.  Travel was just a tool in this greater quest, but a powerful tool indeed.  I am still confused, flawed, etc. -- but travel did help me have a bit more patience, and faith in the cosmos (which is faith in All that Is, quite useful for a former skeptic and pessimist).

Obviously, your experience will be unique but I have a good feeling it will be helpful.  Travel is something I'd always recommend to people, if they have the time and some degree of mental/emotional stability, that is.  Are you getting a one-way ticket or one with a return flight?

The problem is that I have absolutely no mental/emotional stability at all. I am quite insane actually, maybe not unmanagably so, but I am not far. I guess the buddhist term 'hungry ghost' describes my state well. Sometimes I just want to end it all because I can't deal with these intense feelings. The only thing that keeps me going is that there is still hope when I leave. I know that at least now, at this time there is no way of changing anything. I have been in therapy since june last year, however there has been no change at all. So I have decided that I should look for a master that I trust, he should know what to do.

I am not sure that india and other places similar to india will be very helpful in overcoming psychological issues - basically many spiritual people go over the edge in this country and you meet some folk that is waaaaaay out there.

also to find an authentic master might take you couple of years traveling to and from India etc. they are not so easy to find as well, and also many times not equipped to help you with a "western" style neurosis etc. usually they don't adress this level too much.

be careful in India then if you feel you are so out of balance, take it easy okay? you do not sound insance or on the verge of insanity to me, but if you feel a bit shaky then let me tell you that this country is intense, not soothing at all, so move slow and don't just jump on any spiritual trip that is offered here - and believe me there are a lot of spiritual trips on sale in india

Edited by RigdzinTrinley
  • Like 3

My sister just returned from Cambodia and LOVED it. She has been working in Al Ain for many years. As time permits she travels all over.

She sent a voice recording of a man chanting in a temple-it was beautiful! It was in Angkor Wat

Arc'Teryx backpack-highly recommend

roll the mat and strap to the top

Edited by sagebrush

The problem is that I have absolutely no mental/emotional stability at all. I am quite insane actually, maybe not unmanagably so, but I am not far. I guess the buddhist term 'hungry ghost' describes my state well. Sometimes I just want to end it all because I can't deal with these intense feelings. The only thing that keeps me going is that there is still hope when I leave. I know that at least now, at this time there is no way of changing anything. I have been in therapy since june last year, however there has been no change at all. So I have decided that I should look for a master that I trust, he should know what to do.

While you will probably be fine, it is a good idea to have a back-up/return plan just in case things don't go so great there or you just don't like it.  Especially if you have not traveled much before.  Some people expect to like travel a lot, but end up not really liking it, or vice versa -- it is hard to know until you have been doing it for a little bit.  Just a warning though, travel brings out extreme feelings. I've felt the most ecstatic moments of bliss, powerful insights... and then also some crazy low moments of depression, anxiety, self-hatred, etc.  If you already feel "extreme," travel will likely be even more that way.  Especially with solo travel, for all that time to be alone with our selves.

What are you looking for in a master?  I am curious.  Also, where do you think you will go to look for one once you arrive?

Edited by futuredaze

While you will probably be fine, it is a good idea to have a back-up/return plan just in case things don't go so great there or you just don't like it. Especially if you have not traveled much before. Some people expect to like travel a lot, but end up not really liking it, or vice versa -- it is hard to know until you have been doing it for a little bit. Just a warning though, travel brings out extreme feelings. I've felt the most ecstatic moments of bliss, powerful insights... and then also some crazy low moments of depression, anxiety, self-hatred, etc. If you already feel "extreme," travel will likely be even more that way. Especially with solo travel, for all that time to be alone with our selves.

What are you looking for in a master? I am curious. Also, where do you think you will go to look for one once you arrive?

Well for me to be honest I like to go out alone, be around people, but not talk to them. Just being in the presence is enough for me most of the time. However, here I stay at home in my room, most of the time, more like all the time, reading chinese fantasy novels and surfing on the internet. I absolutely hate it, but I can't stop, same as masturbation...

Well the first thing I am looking for in a master is humor....

Edited by Josama

Well for me to be honest I like to go out alone, be around people, but not talk to them. Just being in the presence is enough for me most of the time. However, here I stay at home in my room, most of the time, more like all the time, reading chinese fantasy novels and surfing on the internet. I absolutely hate it, but I can't stop, same as masturbation...

Well the first thing I am looking for in a master is humor, else I am not sure, but if I look at Sadhguru then I would say that's exactly what I am looking for. Also, we are aligned, often when he writes a new article I find that it contains a lot of my own insights of that day. It's just he has the same area of expertise as myself, just how he expresses himself and his knowledge. When I started reading into his stuff I realized that this is what I had been striving for. The only thing I am missing with him is that he doesn't use hand language. I think he should use Master Hsing Yuns hand language that would be great. He said that he would soon tweak his personnality again so hopefully he will do that^^

Hmm, maybe I have already found him I realize. Well since I will meet him next month in Berlin I should be able to deduce if this is so. Otherwise I will have to wait for the right one to appear. The problem is that I am not waiting at the moment, but just wasting time....

I don't understand, so you already have an idea who your master will be?  Is it someone you ever met before?

IMO, life on the road is just as potent as any lessons or insights I have ever had with one person.  Granted, I have never had a "guru" or "master" -- but I have met loads of people, some my age, some my parents or grandparents age, some of which very wise people.  You can get a lot out of talking to people, not so much that they will answer or solve anything for you, but just that it is nice to feel connection and to learn from other people's life stories. 

Yet for me it is the transience, the dynamic nature of travel, that can be a powerful teacher by putting us in different situations, some of which can be very challenging.  You might spend a week in a busy city, living with a bunch of people who are getting wasted in dorms, and then spend the next week in the wilderness doing a meditation retreat.  It chagnes fast.  In some ways, it is similar to meditation/psychedelics in that it can trigger some altered states of consciousness.

Edited by futuredaze

I don't understand, so you already have an idea who your master will be? Is it someone you ever met before?

IMO, life on the road is just as potent as any lessons or insights I have ever had with one person. Granted, I have never had a "guru" or "master" -- but I have met loads of people, some my age, some my parents or grandparents age, some of which very wise people. You can get a lot out of talking to people, not so much that they will answer or solve anything for you, but just that it is nice to feel connection and to learn from other people's life stories.

Yet for me it is the transience, the dynamic nature of travel, that can be a powerful teacher by putting us in different situations, some of which can be very challenging. You might spend a week in a busy city, living with a bunch of people who are getting wasted in dorms, and then spend the next week in the wilderness doing a meditation retreat. It chagnes fast. In some ways, it is similar to meditation/psychedelics in that it can trigger some altered states of consciousness.

Edited by Josama

Sign in to follow this