Eat qinoa and vegetables plus herbs and here you have bigu diet. You will be vibrant and feel like a child. I know person who did 100% bigu diet for a month and felt like a child, like he said 6 years old person which adult mind, so bigu help to push post natal into pre-natal if you doing it properly.

I have not practiced bigu ever, but I have some input.

I have read in scientific literature about an extremely obese man (over 450 lbs) who ate no food for over a year, just taking certain supplements, who weighed a little under 200 lbs at the end of it...so bigu isn't so impressive to me, however its still interesting.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/dr-chet-williams/2014/06/this-450-pound-man-fasted-for-over-a-year-and-he-lost-more-than-half-his-weight/

Yeah if you learn to slow your metabolism down, you could probably learn to do it for a few months at a time.

Reports of being able to survive on chi in the air and environment alone sound amazing and interesting. I am skeptical, but hopeful that this is possible.

It would seem that being in a parasympathetic state vs. sympathetic would be one requirement for bigu.

Breath control seems like it could be a key element of the practice.

Slowing down the rate at which the body uses glucose seems like it would be important. The brain uses a significant share of glucose, so stopping excessive use of the brain also seems like a key requirement - this means stopping thinking and creating mental constructs.

This is just my assumption.

If stopping thinking is important, this would be the hardest part.

I would focus on breath regulation and meditation leading to cessation of mind fabrications as per any appropriate tradition.

The main reason for doing it is that during bigu the body's qi conductivity and extra sensory abilities increase and if you enter deep enough into emptiness new things may be revealed to you. It is also used to help transition into new levels of practice, helps make the body stronger(during fasting the body starts to cannibalize all the stuff that it doesn't need like waste, tumors, etc),it helps you know your limits and better control your body. Taoist masters say that by eating we become from nothing somebody and by fasting we somehow tend to revert the cycle going toward nothingness again. The basic theory of it is that you cut the breath-food-digestion-qi cycle and reduce it to breath-qi only.

• Like 2

Why do you need a master for this? In bigu diet they use some special things by recognizing yin and yang forces in the nature like drinking some blood for yang energy or digging out special herb and the certain time or water of the trees, but this is high bigu so do not even think you will get there, it's very hard to find a master like this. 

Standart bigu will do for cultivation effort. 

Bigu is not about breatharian or living on Qi. Bigu replenish post natal energies and bring balance to yin and yang forces. You can forgot about breatharian things because it can be clearly seen you are not type of person who will achieve this. You should focus on basic meditation and proper diet not going around trying to search something above your level of cultivation. Whatever master you will find it does not matter as even master can not make dog to fly, unless you cross your own limitation by yourself master's job will be useless. IF you find one he will tell the same thing as I'm saying to you.

Edited by CelibacySeeker

Those people you are looking for are not on this forum. To practice this you need to be far from people and society. 

Why are looking for light in dark room? The only thing you can find about it are academic resources, interview or people "who know someone which that one know somebody". 

And the difference is that you looking on the nickname and I'm looking into something deeper which you are not even conscious. 

Edited by CelibacySeeker

Those people you are looking for are not on this forum. To practice this you need to be far from people and society.

They don't post here often, which is probably a sign of there advancement, but we have a few heavy hitters with bonafide masters who walk a hard true path. 

• Like 2

I've found that its possible to supplement the body's electrochemical absorption from food, with electromagnetic potential at the lower dantien.  If my stomach starts to rumble, focused DT breathing and streamlined breathwork, but with enough emphasis on qihai, and remember what I said about hexagram 23 ;)

• Like 2

I think what real bigu is, and what people in the west are doing are oceans apart. A man not eating for a year is not practicing with a master in a cave in china. 

Many people have never met a true master, and I can understand how they assume what we see out in the west is the full extent of what eastern practices are capable of, but this just isn't the case. 

Anyone who has practiced with a real lineage can attest to the huge difference in effect compared to the stuff circulating in the west.

I have no doubt that this( Living off of qi) is in fact possible, but finding a true master to teach you would be key. Reading about what herbs to take and what to do, is not practicing real bigu. 

I know there is the odd exception to this, I am not painting everyone with the same brush as far as teachers in the west go. 

Thanks for your input though. 

I hear you.

I never really researched it and it seems that one's condition should improve from bigu, and one shouldnt feel hungry....

this following quote is from this website:http://www.healingtaousa.com/bigu.html

What is Bigu?

The term bigu denotes an advanced qigong state during which the practitioner is able to maintain his or her normal activities without eating or drinking (and sometimes sleeping) for long periods, in some cases for several months and years at a time. A characteristic of the bigu state is that one's overall condition improves rather than weakens, contrary to ordinary techniques of prolonged fasting. In addition , bigu encompasses other elements which exceed or transcend the beneficial effects of therapeutic fasting. These extraordinary aspects of the bigu state have been occasionally observed by medical and scientific practitioners; for example, archeological evidence includes an oracle -bone scripture found in a 1000 year old tomb in Hunan, China, which contains a detailed written account with pictures denoting the bigu phenomenon.

Yan Xin stresses that bigu should be seen as a "signpost" or an adjunct to one's practice, but not as an ultimate goal. He once said "The bigu state should not be advocated or overemphasized." The potential of qi gong far surpasses these phenomena. (3)

My first real exposure to the bigu concept was while studying with Dr. Yan Xin and his organization. In some of his books (see footnotes), bigu is mentioned and scientific studies done in China are cited. In one of his speeches he talks about a Chinese woman in bigu, living in the US that gave birth to a healthy baby subsisting on just water.

What I am doing would be called "non-standard bigu" i.e. drinking liquids and occasionally eating small amounts of fruit or vegetables as opposed to "standard bigu" which involves no eating or drinking, except for water. It's hard for me to know for sure what is happening physiologically. It feels as though most of my nourishment is being absorbed directly from the surrounding chi through the breath with more intense absorption taking place during practice.

Scientific research studies in China have shown that practicing qigong can improve absorption of nutrients from food. I believe that the small amount of food and liquids I am ingesting is being utilized to the maximum. I have no doubt that the mystery of bigu is something that will eventually be understood through scientific research and monitoring.

THE GOLDEN RULE OF BIGU

This is a good place to emphasize some things I've learned from my friends at Yan Xin Qigong. Bigu is an effect or gift of advanced and/or prolonged qi gong practice. IF YOU'RE HUNGRY YOU'RE NOT IN BIGU. As we all know, if you're not in bigu, going without food can be hazardous to your health.

If you want to become breatharian I believe that it's essential to develop a very close rapport with your body and be able to distinguish between physical hunger and mental cravings. Eating disorders are rampant in our culture. Be careful. If you're hungry, eat, in a healthy and balanced way. Keep practicing. Do good deeds. This will bring you closer.

My understanding of bigu is that it is not "not eating". It is practicing to a level where all your meridians merge and you and feel the chi continuously buoying you up. Your hunger dissapears. You feel full, bright and mildly ecstatic.

--------------

Sounds very interesting. Wish I had a master to train with.

• Like 2

I don´t have personal experiences of bigu to relate, but once attended a lecture by an Indian guy who goes by HRM, and has gone long periods without food.  His big thing is sun gazing, and it´s this practice he credits with his ability to go without eating.  

More info here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/01/08/feasting-on-sunshine.aspx

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1