Sign in to follow this  
Spectrum

Dan Tien Challenge

"THE CHALLENGE. The Magic Tortoise School offers the Jou Medallion* as a prize to any taijiquan player of two or more years experience who can toss a U.S. penny one vertical foot with their lower abdomen. Yang Banhou (1837-1892) practiced this demonstration of dantian development with rice grains; Jou, Tsung Hwa (1917-1998) suggested the one foot standard, and used pennies."

@ 2:44 we see a Chen stylist... doing what appears to be a vertical foot, w/ those little 2lb bar bell weights I've mentioned before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y8ny2l5aN0

Couldn't let this one slip by w/o sharing. Oh, and note the three person push hands. Beauti fu. Wish I understood Chinese. Looks like a lot of Chen form, I never liked the Chen stances though. Enjoy.

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

@ 2:44 we see a Chen stylist... doing what appears to be a vertical foot, w/ those little 2lb bar bell weights I've mentioned before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y8ny2l5aN0

Couldn't let this one slip by w/o sharing. Oh, and note the three person push hands. Beauti fu. Wish I understood Chinese. Looks like a lot of Chen form, I never liked the Chen stances though. Enjoy.

Spectrum

Way cool man. Someone on the comments quoted that he has "cottonbelly" skill. Never heard of it before. Just googled it and there's a comment by Wong Kiew Kit in regards to some question about Bak Mei (aka Pai Mei the dude who betrayed Shaolin according to legend):

"Cotton belly skill", which was one of Bak Mei's many specialties, was a Shaolin art, but it was not popularly known. "Cotton Art" is even "softer" than Taijiquan. My Wuzu Kungfu master, Sifu Chee Kim Thong, knew "Coton Art", but I did not have the opportunity to learn it from him.

Will have to read up more on this. Thanks Spectrum.

P.S. At the end of the clip it almost looked like an informercial for "dantien enlargement". Think I will post a comment saying "It's not the size of the dantien that matters, it's how you use it". Ah who am I kidding, I would love to have a great big dantien I could bounce things into the air with :P

Oolong,

I teach bak mei and we have Min Fa Gung Cotton body training its all meditations and 2 person drills, herbs! :)

Bak Mei killed the iron head monk with his cotton belly!!! :)

Oolong,

I teach bak mei and we have Min Fa Gung Cotton body training its all meditations and 2 person drills, herbs! :)

Cool. What type of meditation? Are the drills hard or soft?

Bak Mei killed the iron head monk with his cotton belly!!! :)

:o hmmm... not sure how I feel about that, but 2 sides to every story I guess. You guys not too popular with the shaolin folks I understand.

There are a few levels i will only talk of basic!

Level 1

Both hard and soft training to able to take a shot as well return force both hard and soft and ground any forces both hard and soft. There is massage and 2 person drills, training devices to help your brother and sister out to removes tension and allow them to feel the Chi.

Higher levels

The Meditations and internal form produce the softness and Ging /Jing to manifest as at a higher level is to absorb there energy without or just a slight touch thats as far as i will talk about it. <_<

Min Fa Gung involves body, legs and arms, palms and fist training not just the stomach although most ususally demonstrate stomach.

Its a form of Iron body but on the Yin Side making is all soft BUT doubles as a internal health system as it free's up the body of tension allowing smooth flow of internal energy.

WYG

Wun,

Are any of these exercises practiced with tools like heavy bags and swinging medicine balls?

I understand if you can not share.

Thank you for sharing what you have.

Spectrum

Hi Spectrum,

No, although the medicine ball and the heavy bag would help develop a strong body the Cotton training is the opposite is all on Soft training and soft energy work. Filling up the body with Chi and being soft will create a Dragon body soft but yet firm. Can absorb as well release force, like a rubber tire i guess!!

Like i said it deals with 2 person exercises which is based on Live force anything else is dead force unless its a animal like a cow or bull which our late grandmaster uses to wrestle in china. The only stuff i have seen that looks similar in the 2 person training is Systema how they use each other to help relax each other?!

WYG

Sign in to follow this