Sign in to follow this  
MooNiNite

Why do people fall in love?

I'm thinking it is so that they have a connection between them that is strong enough to keep them together while raising children.

This also implies that sexual intercourse can be a modality to create a love connection between two people. 

In my experience of love two people are so connected that logic doesn't hold as strong of grounds anymore. 

• Like 1

When the fires of biochemistry

lit on the tinder of species survival,

simmer into symbiotic relations

til the coals of genuine affection

keep a person bonded for life.

I wouldn't downgrade initial attractors though.

Good looks, charisma, being funny, having a car, exuding confidence or being awfully nice, being a good conversationalist, competent in things, mature and having good financial prospects.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 5

The biological component is there in the beginning, to be sure -- but at least in some cases, a greater depth can be reached (over several years of growth) where the physical aspect plays a much lesser role.  Human beings are more than walking and talking sex organs, if a couple is willing to explore further in conversation, shared values, experiences and memories, etc.  

That's where the real bonding takes place, but few people have the patience and the desire to let that develop -- or they make the wrong choices early in life (rushing marriage, for example).  Without that deeper bonding, all the wild sex in the world won't keep a couple together.  

• Like 1

Why do we sleep?Why do we eat? It is all same question.Because of our hormone inside.

• Like 1

I'm thinking it is so that they have a connection between them that is strong enough to keep them together while raising children.

This also implies that sexual intercourse can be a modality to create a love connection between two people. 

In my experience of love two people are so connected that logic doesn't hold as strong of grounds anymore. 

Some off the cuff thoughts -

I think a big part of it is that we are social beings.

We benefit greatly from long term companionship.

Having someone there we can trust, depend on, someone to share our success and failures, someone to fill in where we are lacking. Someone we can support, give to, and sacrifice for. When something pleases us, our first tendency is to share it with someone we care for. When we are hurting, there is nothing better than the support of a loved one. Successes are somewhat empty when we are alone, failures can be more debilitating without the support of others. 

Over time, maintaining such a relationship often becomes challenging. Those very challenges are what stimulates us to grow and better ourselves. If we're very lucky, a long term relationship can teach us that, paradoxically, the source of our happiness and unhappiness is actually within ourselves and not dependent on the other. That realization does not cause us to feel more distant but closer to others. 

So I think that experience of love is something that brings and keeps us together with others so that we have the opportunity to experience the full depth and breadth of human experience, much like the pleasure of sex brings us the opportunity to perpetuate our bloodlines and species. 

• Like 2

It might have to do with one's innate spiritual longing, the will of their divine nature.

The desire for oneness, love, one's worth, and one's divine identity are part of it in my opinion.

I remember one time I was eating alone at a restaurant, and there was a woman at a table close to me, and I started feeling extreme sexual desire for her. It was very unique, and the strange thing is that I didn't even find her very attractive.

I was able to look into my attraction to her, and I saw that I was actually perceiving her, unconsciously, as the Self. It was like she was All That Is, in the form of her. That's how I was perceiving her.

Well, the thing is, the whole REASON I was wanting HER, was because I was longing for MY OWN Self.

It's like I saw my own divine identity in her, and that's what I was actually wanting.

We're born halflings and seek to unite as a pair into one whole. True love can't be fell unto, it comes after all the exciting frictional feelings, when equilibrium has been met. More often than not, when we talk of falling inlove, we're describing the friction and attraction that sometimes leads to it.

It's good feeling to fall in love too.We certainly feel nearly satisfaction.

Discovering love is an experiential process of discovering self. There is an initial attraction like a kid in a sweet shop who wants candy, but over time a realisation that sweets aren't good for us. Thus, many who grab for their first girl friend/boy friend will often discover that the relationship doesn't last very long. Over time we learn what is important to us, although I suspect few of us really think about the reasons behind it.

What we love about our partners is that they share our values and are thus a perfect compliment to our lives. Thus they are a value to us of and in themselves.

Love in this context means the desire to gain and enjoy a value.

The man/woman who seeks a passionate romance and not those that only wish to escape loneliness and will seek anyone.

Love is entirely selfish. It is selfish because it rests on positive sense of self preservation (as opposed to the negative Ie love is not the absence of hate, Joy is not the absence of fear). It rests on the value of ones own life and of those who share that value. It is selfish because it demands self esteem-one must feel they are worthy of love and not simply pity. Love is selfish because it is a pleasure and a deeply personal pleasure. In a mutual loving relationship it is the reinforcement of both lives from this selfish perspective and sex is the physical celebration of those cognitive understood values.

Edited by Karl

Well, the thing is, the whole REASON I was wanting HER, was because I was longing for MY OWN Self.

It's like I saw my own divine identity in her, and that's what I was actually wanting.

A few years ago I met a woman and I couldn't understand the depth of the love I felt for her.  The sexual element was not that strong.  I asked myself: 'Is she a wife from a past life?  Is she my sister? My soul mate?

I also realised that my love for her was my love for my essential self.  This women was kind of quite like me.  If I was to have female twin she would probably be a lot like this person.

But this was just a manifestation - the outer symbol.  Deep down we were the same, and I was in love with that unity.

• Like 2

When you are in love , you dont care who hears you singing, walking down the street ....

Why do birds ....

fall dead from the sky ..

everytime ...

you walk by  ...  i    .... i  

Just like me .... they long to be .... 

close to you ...

laaaa ... la la la laaar ...

close to you .... 

(I might have got some words mixed up there  ) 

When you are in love , you dont care who hears you singing, walking down the street ....

Why do birds ....

fall dead from the sky ..

everytime ...

you walk by  ...  i    .... i  

Just like me .... they long to be .... 

close to you ...

laaaa ... la la la laaar ...

close to you .... 

(I might have got some words mixed up there  ) 

I see you're having one of those wig out moments today :-)

Sign in to follow this