mindtooloud

im here to learn and be inspired

i have trouble quieting down my mind to be able to meditate and when my mind is too loud i get distracted and completely forget i was even trying to meditate, when that happens i dont attempt to meditate again for a while, and im not happy with that, i want to be able to meditate more

so i think if i surround myself with people doing what im trying to do it'll be easier to stay on track.

i also get inspired by reading others meditation experiences. 

ive recently been introduced to chi and told that i could do it just as anyone can.

thats all i have to say for now

• Like 5

Hello mindtooloud, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi mindtooloud,

Yeah, if your mind is too loud you do need find a good form of meditation to allow for some quiet time.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

Hi mindtooloud - 

Most folks go through a lifetime without worrying about meditation at all.  They remain at the mercy of their thoughts, reflexes, and reactions.  You are way ahead of the game.  You are separating from your thoughts just by knowing they are there.  That's a necessary part of the process; please don't get discouraged.  You're right where you're supposed to be.

You've probably heard hundreds of suggestions for meditation.  Here's one more.  It's so simple it's ridiculous.

Once you've relaxed every muscle in your body and allowed your breath to regulate, just know that you are a big flower in a garden.  I see myself as a zinnia.  Very, very slowly (so if someone were looking at you, they wouldn't even see that you're moving), let your flower face follow the movement of the sun across the sky.  You can even slightly sway if you wish, but do so imperceptibly.

It is quite difficult to entertain thoughts and be aware of being a zinnia in the sun at the same time.

Very best wishes to you.  I look forward to your input on the forum.

Manitou

• Like 1

Hi mindtooloud - 

Most folks go through a lifetime without worrying about meditation at all.  They remain at the mercy of their thoughts, reflexes, and reactions.  You are way ahead of the game.  You are separating from your thoughts just by knowing they are there.  That's a necessary part of the process; please don't get discouraged.  You're right where you're supposed to be.

You've probably heard hundreds of suggestions for meditation.  Here's one more.  It's so simple it's ridiculous.

Once you've relaxed every muscle in your body and allowed your breath to regulate, just know that you are a big flower in a garden.  I see myself as a zinnia.  Very, very slowly (so if someone were looking at you, they wouldn't even see that you're moving), let your flower face follow the movement of the sun across the sky.  You can even slightly sway if you wish, but do so imperceptibly.

It is quite difficult to entertain thoughts and be aware of being a zinnia in the sun at the same time.

Very best wishes to you.  I look forward to your input on the forum.

Manitou

thanks for the get back, your words mean a lot to me and inspire me to reach my goal even more, i will try this method of being a flower. 

-monkay

• Like 1

I'm not too expert-y on meditation, just beginning not to long ago myself but i know that when my mind is clouded in mediation, i automatically follow the thoughts subconsciously and such things only allow more thoughts to accumulate. Instead i try to acknowledge the thought, that it is there, but instead of necessarily thinking of it, i let it flow. Also focusing too much on letting go is a distraction, after a while, maybe hours, days, weeks, months, etc.. i guess its different for everybody, there will be a desire for clarity. Follow this naturally without obstruction... I hope this helps...

• Like 2

Hypnosis is a close cousin of meditation.  In some ways its a crutch, but one that can help you get the feeling until you're able to drop it.   For example you can try Yoga Nidra's a way to deeply relax the mind and body.  Here's a link- http://www.yoganidranetwork.org/downloads, try a few, start with shorter ones. 

Or look up Hypnosis on Youtube.  Lately I've been trying out some of Jason Stephenson's works.  Making them into mp3's.  Try a few, and see if they put you under. 

Ultimately though, they're not a substitute for 'just' sitting with calm quiet mind which takes time and has to be built up gradually, for most of us. 

• Like 2

Your desire for clarity will be your guide.  Letting the thoughts flow, then releasing them without letting them furl too badly - finding the clear spaces between the thoughts.  It sounds to me like you are following the most natural course, and the course that many have followed to achieve meditative clarity.  You will know when it's time to release the thoughts and return to the space in between; you will see it in your posture, your muscle tenseness, even the expression on your face, the clenching of your jaw.  Such a balancing act, but results can be seen rather quickly if one is persistent.  I would often use the image of a bubble sitting on a point as a reference, or a butterfly sitting on a flower.  The mind must be rested to hold this awareness, even if one cannot 'visually imagine-in' the picture.  I, for one, am not a good imager - but I can hold the imprint of the image in the back of my mind, in awareness that it is there.  That took some time for me to even do that.

To get to the quiet mind that The Lerner speaks of has taken me over 30 years.  It can happen instantaneously now, at will.  But in the beginning, I think images can be helpful.

I wonder if Lerner's downloads would be helpful for sleep.  This is my challenge right now, weaning myself off antidepressants and sleepers at the same time.  I think I'll check them out.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 4

Hypnosis is a close cousin of meditation.  In some ways its a crutch, but one that can help you get the feeling until you're able to drop it.   For example you can try Yoga Nidra's a way to deeply relax the mind and body.  Here's a link- http://www.yoganidranetwork.org/downloads, try a few, start with shorter ones. 

Or look up Hypnosis on Youtube.  Lately I've been trying out some of Jason Stephenson's works.  Making them into mp3's.  Try a few, and see if they put you under. 

Ultimately though, they're not a substitute for 'just' sitting with calm quiet mind which takes time and has to be built up gradually, for most of us. 

Actually, it was a self-hypnosis class I had when in college that led me to meditation.  For me, hypnosis and self-hypnosis are structured whereas meditation is more free-flowing.

• Like 1

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

i never read them     

#rebel    <_<

• Like 1

i never read them     

#rebel    <_<

Hehehe.  I will not admit that I haven't either.  Pretty much, if we just be nice we have them covered.  (Actually I did read them when I took on the lead of the Welcome committee.)  (And actually there is no formal committee, but I greatly appreciate all the help I get when welcoming a new member.)

• Like 1