Sign in to follow this  
dc9

How to find a legit acupuncturist?

In my practices and daily life, I am suffering from muscle tension that is somewhat uncomfortable in the same spot on the right side of my chest. I don't know if this is some kind of qi blockage or just muscle memory habit. 

I want to try an acupuncturist, and I'm wondering if you guys know how I would approach finding a good practitioner? I am just using google and yelp to search through acupuncturists near my area, and it's quite difficult to tell who is legit and who isn't just by random people's reviews. 

I am in the bay area(east bay to be exact) by the way, so there are plenty of acupuncturists especially in the san francisco and oakland area. But I've always had this gut feeling, not sure how valid it is, that there are a bunch of people in this field who aren't particularly skilled, yet still are able to receive many positive feedbacks due to the power of the placebo effect. How can I find someone truly good? If anyone has a recommendation, I would appreciate it greatly.

Edited by dc9

i would try to find someone that has a background/training in traditional chinese medicine as a starting point.

I've always had this gut feeling, not sure how valid it is, that there are a bunch of people in this field who aren't particularly skilled, yet still are able to receive many positive feedbacks due to the power of the placebo effect.

I believe there is a lot of truth to that. (Although, if placebo effect works, then what's the difference between that and the treatment actually working? Both result in a cure.)

How can I find someone truly good?

They should have studied herbal medicine as well. There is a lot of knowledge gained when learning herbs which can help improve the education of the acupuncturist, as compared to going to school for only acupuncture. Although the quality of care depends on the individual, and not necessarily their education. Practitioner A might have had the best education, but can't fix people. Whereas practitioner B might have gone to a really bad school, but they have really good diagnostic skills after years of experience, so they end up treating you better than practitioner A. Who knows.

Beyond the advice to choose one that trained in herbal medicine, it's hard to say who will be good and who won't. I would browse the websites of the local practitioners and see who resonates with your way of thinking. Some practitioners might be really new agey, whereas you're more scientific minded. Or on the other hand, some might be way too analytical, to the point of treating an idea of who you are rather than you, the person in front of them.

So you find a practitioner that you think would be the best fit based on their marketing. Then you try them out for 3 times. Your problem should be gone after the first time, but some issues might take a couple of times. If it's not improved after 3 times, don't go back to that practitioner. Just what I would do.

There are many styles of practice, like Dr Tan balance method, Kiiko's hara work, Shang Han Lun oriented practitioners, etc. It's impossible to say that one is better than the others, because the truth is that whatever works for people is what's necessary.

Oh, also...when seeing a practitioner, they will ask tons of questions about all aspects of your health. It can cause you to remember other problems. But stick to having one chief complaint that you want them to fix. Then you can really tell if it's working, if it gets fixed or not within 1-3 visits.

Edited by Aetherous

Well, I might go see a hole in the wall place where the acupuncturist is an older asian lady who doesn't have very good english. She does not have any marketing at all though, but her yelp page has 46 reviews with a 5 stars rating average. Pictures of her place shows a very cramped room stacked up with boxes of raw herbs.

Reviews of her raves about how kind hearted she is and how she genuinely cares about her work. Her price is also very low compared to other acupuncturist.

I don't know how much that translates into how much skill she has in terms of acupuncture, but I guess I'm just taking a chance since the price is so low and I'll see how it goes. 

I don't know. Has anyone taken a chance on a place like this and gotten a fantastic acupuncturist?

Edited by dc9

Acupuncturists in California are required to have a masters degree in TCM from an accredited school. The curriculum must include TCM theory, acupuncture, herbs, and western medicine. They also must pass the CA board exam, which is the hardest exam in the country. 

Given all of that, there are still some flakey people out there :)

Best bet is personal recommendations, but you still may need to bounce around a bit until you meet someone that you resonate with. Most acupuncturists should have a bio on the website. I would look for someone with post-masters degree training, hospital or clinic time in China, and a personal qigong or taiji practice. 

Sign in to follow this