Edward M

Buddha in Persia

ah, but I can,

nice read, thanks!

Ancient Persian Inscriptions Link a Babylonian King to the Man Who Became Buddha

(Read the article on one page)

Dramatic evidence has revealed the presence of Siddhartha Gautama, the man who became Buddha, as far west as Persia. Family seals and records found at Persepolis, the ancient capital of the fourth Persian Emperor, Darius the Great, have been identified and associated with the names of Siddhartha Gautama and his father, Suddhodana Gautama.  

The Persepolis Seals identified royals and other important personages within the Persian ruling sphere. Guatama was the name of the royal family of the Saka kingdom.

Analysis of Seals PFS 79, PFS 796 and PF 250 found among the collection of important seals in Persepolis, the Persian capital of Emperor Darius I, are purported to be the Gautama family according to an interpretation by Dr. Ranajit Pal (The Dawn of Religions in Afghanistan-Seistan-Gandhara and the Personal Seals of Gotama Buddha and Zoroaster, published in Mithras Reader: An Academic and Religious Journal of Greek, Roman and Persian Studies. Vol. III, London, 2010, pg. 62).

The family crest bore the etching of a crown-headed king flanked by two totems, each a standing bird-headed winged lion. The Seal of Sedda depiction of a Sramana (Persepolis Seal PFS 79), a Lion-Sun shaman, is based on information gathered from a number of other seals the name refers to Sedda Arta (Siddhartha), i.e., Siddha (Liberator of) and Arta (Universal Truth).

Persepolis-Seal-PFS-79.jpg?itok=MDqnuqRM

Persepolis Seal PFS 79 and outline. Seal of Seddha, standing ruler flanked by bird-headed Arya-Sramana priests of Indus-Vedic tradition, linked to Saka tribe (Scythians) royal family of King Suddhodana Gautama, and his son-prince Siddhartha. Seal art courtesy of Oriental Institute, Chicago.

• Like 2

The Bön tradition, which deeply intermixed with Buddhism in Tibet, also traces its roots to Zhangzhung in Western Tibet and before that to an area that is probably Persia.

Here's some infor from the Berzin archive:

http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/x/nav/group.html_973371636.html

Here's a summary from a very detailed book about the subject more focused on the Bön connection than Shakyamuni:

http://www.boandbon.com/

• Like 2

I doubt it is the same family ... but its not impossible; long  before Zoroastrianism came to 'Persia' there were strong trade links and routes between India , Central Asia, Western China / Tibet  and into Persia  .  The hub of this 'complex'  of 'Aryan Nations' was just off the western edge of the Himalayas .  This was the first 'empirical' expansion of Zoroastrianism, and later it was adopted by the Persians. It was a common practice 'at home'  ( Bactria )  to entertain and consider different religious philosophers at court.  

If  G. B.  did go there and give discourse, in that environment, he would have been appreciated.  

zorathustra-miracle.jpg

King Vishtaspa hears out Zoroaster. 

Introduction of Buddhism into Bactria. Exactly when Buddhism became established in Bactria is still much disputed. Some scholars argue in favor of the first century b.c., or even earlier, while others maintain that its spread was due to the Kushans (Staviskij, pp. 201ff.). Kushan influence certainly extended well into China in the first centuries a.d. This is clearly shown by, among other things, the use of the northwest Prākrit written in the Kharoṣṭhī script as the language of administration in the kingdom of Shan-shan, a short distance east of Khotan. These documents have been dated to between a.d. 200 and a.d. 320 (see Brough, esp. pp. 594-604). A Kharoṣṭhī well inscription dating probably from the second half of the second century a.d. was found at Lo­yang in China (Brough). Even in the early years of the third century there were at least two monasteries in Lo­yang, and many foreign translators were active in Lo­yang in the second half of the second century (Zürcher, 1959, pp. 30ff.). By about a.d. 400 Fahsien estimated that there were more than 4,000 monks in Shan-shan (Beal, I, p. xxiv). "

http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/buddhism-i

• Like 2

Persepolis-Seal-PFS-79.jpg?itok=MDqnuqRM

12729133_758715130926475_722028843470128

Persia, Mesopotamia, Ecuador...so, what was the real global birdman clan, here?

• Like 3

yes, that association popped up in my mind too.

here another picture, where were used to think of the austrian escutcheon ( is this the right word?) as having two eagles on it. Looking in history you can find a different image.

wapenschild-oostenrijk-26776470.jpg

sorry for further derailing on the OP, but thought it worthwhile mentioning

edit: this is the royal escutcheon on the Hofburg in Wien

Edited by blue eyed snake
  • Like 2

Please, derail as much as you like, i just wanted to spark interesting conversation :)

Peace

• Like 1

yes, that association popped up in my mind too.

here another picture, where were used to think of the austrian escutcheon ( is this the right word?) as having two eagles on it. Looking in history you can find a different image.

wapenschild-oostenrijk-26776470.jpg

sorry for further derailing on the OP, but thought it worthwhile mentioning

edit: this is the royal escutcheon on the Hofburg in Wien (Emphasis mine, ZYD)

two eagles on it: If you are talking about this:

97px-Imperial_Coat_of_Arms_of_Austria.sv

or related variations you are talking about the Austro-Hungarian Empire, not Austria itself and it is only one eagle with two heads, the the Austrian one and the Hungarian one, there are versions with two eagles, but they are not the heraldic griffins depicted on either side of the Coat of Arms you post, and technically an escutcheon is a shield design on which a Coat of Arms is placed.

Minor technical points aside, this is a very interesting thread and thanks to Edward M. for starting it.

Oh, and speaking of Eagle headed figures with human bodies, here is Lei Gong:

09792b077f11dee3349bd1a207002efc_viewThu

The Chinese God of Thunder.

• Like 3

12729133_758715130926475_722028843470128

Persia, Mesopotamia, Ecuador...so, what was the real global birdman clan, here?

So, you saw a vague similarity and thought to post that BS here ? 

I wonder how many believed that image at face value  without even checking it out ? 

The 'Father Crespi Collection' eh ?    Shame it doesnt exist anymore and seems to have evaporated so no one can check the authenticity of the items and claims .  

here is the holy father with another artifact ..... obviously there used to be giants around ..... and they 'rocked on'      :D

underground19_84.jpg

Father Crespi!    More Annuniki Sitchin internut crap!   GIve me a fuckin break !  

http://www.deanthebard.com/blog/did-hitler-escape-to-argentina-to-become-father-crespi/

• Like 1

or related variations you are talking about the Austro-Hungarian Empire, not Austria itself and it is only one eagle with two heads,

I got that one tattooed on my chest     ;)

the the Austrian one and the Hungarian one, there are versions with two eagles, but they are not the heraldic griffins depicted on either side of the Coat of Arms you post, and technically an escutcheon is a shield design on which a Coat of Arms is placed.

Minor technical points aside, this is a very interesting thread and thanks to Edward M. for starting it.

Okay .... I have to include 'my boy' then .

horus_hieroglyphs.jpg

( and just yesterday I posted these :

zap_budgie6.jpg

Edited by Nungali

So, you saw a vague similarity and thought to post that BS here ? 

I wonder how many believed that image at face value  without even checking it out ? 

The 'Father Crespi Collection' eh ?    Shame it doesnt exist anymore and seems to have evaporated so no one can check the authenticity of the items and claims . 

Father Crespi!    More Annuniki Sitchin internut crap!   GIve me a fuckin break !  

http://www.deanthebard.com/blog/did-hitler-escape-to-argentina-to-become-father-crespi/

Actually, I think the cross-cultural evidence of an ancient "Annunaki" birdman cult extends far beyond Crespi's alleged findings, though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKf-HwiwPY0&t=12m59s

cbd189e14fad3e4bb761e0e3d6cf29ab.jpg

f51c8690dafb2a798efc358658bf2c16.jpg

crow-tengu-edo-period-faith-syncretism-b

• Like 2

or related variations you are talking about the Austro-Hungarian Empire, not Austria itself and it is only one eagle with two heads, the the Austrian one and the Hungarian one, there are versions with two eagles, but they are not the heraldic griffins depicted on either side of the Coat of Arms you post, and technically an escutcheon is a shield design on which a Coat of Arms is placed.

thanks for putting into words what I wanted to convey, indeed it's griffins.

And I know that I've once seen a coat of arms ( thanks, i'm learning more english by the day), an old stone one, with griffins but with human hands. but that one i couldn't  find

and the chinese god of thunder is amazing

Edited by blue eyed snake

Actually, I think the cross-cultural evidence of an ancient "Annunaki" birdman cult extends far beyond Crespi's alleged findings, though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKf-HwiwPY0&t=12m59s

cbd189e14fad3e4bb761e0e3d6cf29ab.jpg

f51c8690dafb2a798efc358658bf2c16.jpg

crow-tengu-edo-period-faith-syncretism-b

' Evidence ' ... from 'Ancient Aliens' channel  .....  ? ! ?  :blink:   Are you serious ? 

A group of various cultural icons from different times some separated by millennia  .... is this supposed to prove something ? ..... anything ?    Hard to tell from your collection of pictures without explaining how your own mind thinks they linked somehow ??? 

Is it because they all feature ideas about flying, birds wings ?  Are you postulating some world wide birdman cult (regardless of the vast time differences in the pictures)..... more so than a basic human wish / fascination with flight ?  

Birdman cults were also popular on Rapa Nui  - the most isolated human  island habitation on earth -   I wonder why they had THAT fascination THERE ?         whistling2.gif

Edited by Nungali

This is very interesting with Birds, since 2017 is the year of the Fire Phoenix, 6 days before is known as The Awakening day and the day of the Chinese new year is called Pure Consciousness.

This is very interesting with Birds, since 2017 is the year of the Fire Phoenix, 6 days before is known as The Awakening day and the day of the Chinese new year is called Pure Consciousness.

What's the name in Chinese the Chinese year?