Sign in to follow this  
Edward M

Abilify-a warning for anyone trying to establish middle path in life

please delete, this is a wreckless post that might be a danger to someones mental health  

Edited by Edward M
  • Like 1

I apppreciate your post Edward.  Anybody considering these kind of drugs should do so with full "informed consent," aware of all the drawbacks and dangers as well as the potential benefits.  Hearing about the experiences of other people who´ve taken these medications is important.  Thanks for sharing.

(Oops, I see you´ve deleted your posts.  I get why you might be concerned: that someone might read what you have to say and not get treatment they need.  And yes, it would be a mistake for somebody to make a treatment decision based solely on your experience.  Then again, it´s often a mistake to make a treatment decision based solely on the advice of a psychiatrist as well.)

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

Hey Liminal, thanks for seal of approval with post i did yesterday... i hear what you are saying and agree one shouldn't base their decisions purely off subjective experiences or from psychiatrists advice.

i'll summarise what i wrote again.  Being on olanzapine for 5 years or so, i had no trouble at all, and held down a very rewarding daily sitting practice and lived in moderation.  Following a few months of medication and having to go back on in 2006 i was put on abilify, and found i became very impulsive and couldn't sit still or find rest, and have failed to establish a decent sitting and qigong/internal arts practice since.  Thinking has also been blunted.

So, if anyone is being put on medication or thinking of going on, do research into side effects and ask around, and be prepared to ask to switch to a different one.  But at the same time, if you feel really seriously bad, dont not go on medication, give it a try, it might not be for that long before you get enough insight to relieve your issues and succesfully come off.

Hope this helps!

Edward

• Like 3

Hi Edward,

My partner is on olanzapine as well as an SSRI antidepressant.  It´s took a lot for both of us to get to the point where we were willing to take a chance on these kinds of drugs.  The first psychiatrist he ever went to prescribed haldol.  I looked it up on the internet, and read about tardive dyskinesia, a neurological side effect that causes people to protrude their tongue and make other embarrassing and uncontrollable movements.  It usually, but not always, goes away if you discontinue the drug.  

Well, that was enough for me to question whether haldol was the way to go.  He took one dose, had a horrible nightmare, and that was it for haldol and that psych doc.

He seems to tolerate the olanzapine much better.  It doesn´t eliminate his paranoid thoughts but it gets him to the point where they don´t totally disable him.  So I´m grateful.  But even with this one, I read about the side effects and hope he doesn´t have to take it for the rest of his life.   

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

Hi Liminal, 

That's good he is doing ok with it.  I was lucky with oanzapine, i had no bad reactons except for weight gain.  Someone i know had the reaction you described with olanzapine, he kept on doing a slow jog on the spot with one leg, he couldn't stop.  

Be careful with ssri's, they can work, but you gotta be careful, took me a very long time to get to grips with seroxat/paxil back in the day, had some wild behaviour at first to say the least.  Epsom salt baths replenish sulphate which the pineal gland needs to produce serotonin, and detox heavy metals etc as well as de-calcifi the pineal gland.  Thats something to try if you are not already on an ssri. 

The thing with anti-psychotics is that they dampen down the limbic system which is like the energy source of the circling thoughts.  If you take the opportunity to regain control of the mind by meditation and concentration exercises/physical activity, then you can get to a point where you can come off, because you can come out of delusion (as far as deluded thoughts of the mundane variety go).  So, it's a great opportunity to build a stronger awareness and come out better off than you were before. 

Try and get him to volunteer at a park as a gardener if you can, thats always a very good way of getting grounded and focused whilst creating a space of awareness.  

Cheers

Edited by Edward M
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this