Any advice on how to quell it? I feel like I have rage that I can't control, and my defense mechanism is to shut myself out and be left alone.

• Like 1

There are things that bother me, but my reaction is over the top. Basically, I should not be getting this angry at something that is small, but then it just keeps building up.

I've read that it's not good to practice qi gong when angry. If that is the case, how should I calm myself down?

You can use your energy in different way Instead of anger.

To meditate or to move body.By time you will calm down and forget that you are angry.

• Like 3

There are things that bother me, but my reaction is over the top. Basically, I should not be getting this angry at something that is small, but then it just keeps building up.

I've read that it's not good to practice qi gong when angry. If that is the case, how should I calm myself down?

Here is an anger management method for you:

Inhale as deeply as you can. Hold your breath a couple of seconds, then inhale some more (you will find this to be actually possible). Repeat this once again. Now exhale completely. Visualize all your anger and tension flow out of you with the air you exhale and dissolve in the ether.

Repeat the whole procedure. Keep doing this for two to three minutes. You will find yourself calm and relaxed.

Do this exercise as often as necessary, but at least once a day. It also works for other negative emotions, such as anxiety, fear etc.

• Like 9

Anger resides deeply in your HEART.

Practicing when the Qi moves around its network (11am-1pm and then it quickly reaches its maximum peak for a further hour: 1-2pm) helps to heal it a lot more. You also need to purge all conditioned and post-heaven impurities from the WOOD network starting at 11am and finishing at 4am, which is when the Qi has finished circulating in the "Liver" after peaking for 1 h (3-4am).

Listen to ancient and classical music (it nourishes both the Wood and Fire elements) as it was composed primarily (especially in the Baroque and Renaissance) for spiritual purposes.

Here are some examples:

Hildegard of Bingen

All the best! :)

• Like 7

Thanks for the music Gerard. Certainly I agree that music can be very effective for anger, and especially this kind of stuff.

Also agree very much with Michael's method. Breath control has helped me quite a bit in the past, maybe preventing me from hitting something I shouldn't. I don't practice as often as I should.

Also agree very much with Junko's ideas -- movement is my thing these days. Walking, working out, stretching.. just generally moving, not sitting still.

Edited by dust
  • Like 2

You are most welcome. :)

I forgot this

(healing Thai Buddhist temple) about the need to cleanse the Heart, the root of all defilements.

When the heart is free of them and fully opened a visible aura is perceived even by ordinary humans. Like those Christian depictions of the Christ and other saints:

dbd3dd485352346.jpg

It's like the sun radiating in all directions. The power of the human heart according to Daoist ascetics is more powerful than the sun but also easily corrupted by kleshas.

Try also an extended fast to further purify your internal organs. Drink only water and chinese herbal medicine as an aid and yin purification method.

• Like 4

To keep it inside of the body is not good. So let it flow into your whole body first and try to solve the anger. Then imagin it would disappear. It will happen, sooner or later you will forget it.

Edited by Junko

Yes that's good advice! There are so many wonderful resources out there and all free.

Two more I found on YT and there is even a viewer swearing by the Tibetan Buddhist chanting:

Very Yin Wood and that's why Tibetan Buddhist monastics do this sort of work in order to prepar themselves for 'journeying' during meditation practice.

Good luck. :)

I couldn't find the any long videos featuring the Tibetan long horn in YT, but the Australian didgeridoo is great to listen to:

Enjoy! :)

Edited by Gerard

One step is to keep in mind that anger, the perception of, is the description given the awareness of an emotion. Emotions are electrochemical responses to stimuli which can be long lasting, like an adrenalin rush, for example. So knowing that the anger response will last a bit after the initial stimuli has passed, and can cloud awareness for some time, as it is based on the release of certain chemicals (catecholamines, adrenalin, noradrenalin), the activation of certain brain regions (amygdala, prefrontal cortex), as well as phsyiological effects such as increased heart rate/blood pressure, immediately tells you that its not a fight against the anger-inducing stimuli, but your own phsyiology.

That's key. The prefrontal cortex is the area of the brain responsible for handling judgements, and is pivotal in suppressing the natural urge to destroy people, places, and things.

Most people can handle not doing things that put them in jail, yet the uncomfortable results of the physiological stress responses can linger for days.

This is where relaxation techniques and more advanced practices come in.

So study relaxation techniques (e.g. progressive neuromuscular relaxation), perhaps biofeedback techniques, and especially learn how not to reify the scene that initially caused you to get angry. The rehashing of the event will contribute the most to carrying the undesirable effects forward. That's why tranquil abiding practices, one-pointed focus exercises, and emptiness meditation are pivotal in changing the physiological responses.

I personally rate the difficulty of those practices in that exact order, from easiest to most difficult: relaxation techniques, biofeedback, calm abiding, one-pointed focus, and emptiness meditation.

The three latter practices should work relatively equally as far as effectiveness in anger management IMO.

• Like 1

Hi cmpunk50,

Offering,http://www.awakeningstate.com/spiritual-awakening/om-namo-narayanaya/

And,https://www.scienceandnonduality.com/conversations/the-energetic-field-of-om-namah-shivaya/

Blessings

Edited by AussieTrees
  • Like 1

Work with trees and very heavy work indeed is required as in deep concentration and fully aware. Tree energy + Fire network is most active (11am-2pm). That will remove anger from your Heart over time. If you can also train when Wood network is most active (11pm to 3am) since this element mothers Fire/Heart but this is not feasible for most people except monastics, renunciates, retired people or during retreat.

Good luck :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

Just as there are many differing types of love,there are also many types of anger.

For me,I learnt anger from dad,and he would be easy to trigger into a rage pretty much daily or he was always angry.

So you learn because that's what kids do,deep down,you just want to survive.Seems as though everyone was angry when growing up.How times have changed,we now have zero tolerance to physical aggression.

Don't remember when,came across a very small booklet with verses of chants,just speaking or pronunciation guide such chants,was the begining of my anger management.How is that even possible say a few words,results like tasting water when thirsty.

What's chanting anyway,it's just talk,speech,well it seems some words and phrases are just magical,like a spell.

So repeated daily almost constantly,anger washed from even my soul,replaced by caring concern and empathy.

Tears flowed in gratitude,to be liberated from such demons,no triggers remain,unarmed man,even self defence is cautioned.

Peace,no more rage not even of road variety,nor reprisal,no chip,no revenge,all poisons of anger.

Anger clouds the vision,distorts the hearing,suspiciousness developes,the body suffers,the mind is unrelenting.

There appears to be many paths leading to personal anger management,just choose one it will workout.

Om namo shivaya

Om namo naranaya

• Like 2