Sign in to follow this  
Veezel

What if your heart is wrong?

Today, I listened to my heart as it told me to go to Hastings and get a movie. When I went home to watch said movie, I realized that it was a movie that I already watched before. Disappointment ensued.

Is this normal? If Tao involves listening to your heart, does this mean that Tao can be wrong at times?

• Like 1

Is it possible there is something in the movie that you would subconsciously like to remember?

• Like 1

If Tao involves listening to your heart, does this mean that Tao can be wrong at times?

Maybe you're asking yourself the wrong question.  Maybe you aren't listening to what your heart, in its most pure and unconditioned nature, is really saying.  Maybe it isn't your heart that is wrong, but your ears. 

What I mean is, we are all raised in a particular environment, and we generally accept the established norms of that environment without questioning.  We become conditioned by that environment and then we no longer hear our heart -- we're hearing only what we've been conditioned to think of as "good" and "bad." 

To put it in basic terms: Following dao isn't just an "anything goes" philosophy -- if that were the case, there would be no need to even bother with it at all.  Something else is needed: self-examination involved, in order to recognize our conditioning in order to free ourselves from it (this is one of the reasons for meditation, observing the mind).  Only through such self-examination can you clearly hear your heart.   

• Like 6

The Dao contains everything and its contradiction, it's not something you get right or wrong. The Dao just does what it does.

All you've learned is that your heart doesn't like watching the same movie twice.

The Dao isn't running your life, you are, as part of the Dao. If you don't like the movie you got then go get another one. You weren't misled, it's just what's happening.

And on a more mundane level, your heart's decision to go get a movie has now caused a fruitful discussion between people all over the world. So maybe it was worth it?

• Like 2

Today, I listened to my heart as it told me to go to Hastings and get a movie. When I went home to watch said movie, I realized that it was a movie that I already watched before. Disappointment ensued.

Is this normal? If Tao involves listening to your heart, does this mean that Tao can be wrong at times?

I think there's a nice concise teaching in your experience.

To be human is to feel the constant pull of the new vs the old, of safety vs adventure, of knowledge vs creativity.

Unconsciously you knew you had seen this movie before.You were drawn to it precisely because it was familiar and safe.  But you mistook this solid, warm, safe feeling as being a prompting of the heart, and ended up choosing the safe when you should have chosen the new.

Also, about the heart....

Don't think that something is coming from the heart just because you want it.  The heart is a much more subtle instruction and it takes great practice to even discern what the heart is saying.

The only time the heart speaks loudly is in the 'dilemma' - when two alternative options present themselves vividly to us.  But even in the dilemma we are not shown where our heart's desire lies. The heart speaks loudly but not decisively.  

As we learn from experience we see that the heart option is the one that brings us peace of mind and virtue and sincerity.  As I said, it can take considerable practice before we even realise that these are what we want.  They have a horrible habit of masquerading as things like PS3s!

• Like 3

The Dao is not "other" - it is not some "thing" one listens to - one cannot move over and into the Dao.

Look at your disappointment - this is a source of "your daily bread" - the opportunity to see - something to work with / and work on you:

The disappointment is from expectation, it is from the perception of "wasted time" and "wasted money and effort".

Look at the "video" of what happened in this experience / recurrence - and try not to become too attached to ideas you have about what you see and do not redress your body with angst for having run around doing your bidding - but notice - this is how we treat our bodies when we have done something we assess as "a waste of time".

Your "heart" has many levels - from base emotions to levels that are not even considered matters of heart.

And much of "heart" believe it or not - has to do with what and when we just ate and the temperature and humidity - in other words - we live in a body that while we pretend it is our servant - it effects every atom of our mind / perception / awareness - the part we think "we" are - the "I" we regard so highly and so separately and triumphantly.

We do not embody our bodies - we treat them as separate from ourselves as we do the theoretical Dao - as though when we have lined up all of what the "I" will deem as correct - we will then allow ourselves to become the Dao - and this is how we will "do" it.

Most of us do this in parts - we put our toe in this water and that and then decide - this is Dao stuff - and we quote it and tout it as our own - and so we play the idea that we are now "Dao" ing. Or we play the idea that he/she/we is/are not "Dao"ing and we judge - supporting the idea that we know the difference.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

the mind is easily fooled by itself. Emptiness listens to itself. No ONE is listening. Just sit in full lotus. Even the spiritual ego can be easily fooled but the Yuan Qi is the source of the heart - the pin hole on the right side of the heart to the Emptiness as formless awareness.

• Like 1

I thought Tao was listening to the combined minds of gut, heart, and head in perfect harmony with no blockages, imbalances, etc..

Hmnn, like some of the others, I suspect you are blaming the wrong organism.  Seems the brain is the culprit here.  I'd recommend some heavy drinking to kill off some of its cells in order to degrade and punish it.  Liver be damned, you either take control of the errant organ or it will take control of you.

kidding B).  

We've all done that,

10 years ago,

when there were video stores

in existence.  

• Like 1

Is it possible that while your heart told you to get a movie, it was your brain that made the selection?

How did you listened to your heart?

Out of the few definitions of heart, the best decision maker is the heart/core/essence rather than the emotional heart. What that is is you without the filters. It listens to the emotional heart but is not controlled by it. The practicality of this is that all the components of the human being work together as one without intense focus on one particular part such as the emotional heart. It all just happens in the background. When everything works together you tend to make better decisions. You still won't always pick the right movie, but your attitude might not consider it to be an issue.

• Like 3

If Tao involves listening to your heart, does this mean that Tao can be wrong at times?

You are Christian, yes? How do you differentiate between God and Tao?

I mean: in "listening to your heart", if you do it well, aren't you doing the 'will of God'?

At the very least, I think you might be conflating 'Tao' and 'God'. Tao isn't telling anyone what to do, like God does in many stories, and so Tao can't tell anyone to do the 'right' or the 'wrong' thing.

In listening or feeling for the 'right way' to go, am I listening for the right way for me, or the right way in general? And how do I know for sure without also thinking? Where is my 'heart'? When we say "Listen to your heart", aren't we talking about paying attention to a deep feeling in our mind, an instinct or semi-conscious desire? Where is our mind?

What's right for me might not be right for a bunch of rats. Or it might be right for us all. Is there always a 'right' decision?

• Like 1

Western psychology would say that emotions occur generally in the gut region, and they are physiological events, before perception, which are then sensed as feelings in or around the heart area, and the feelings are then interpreted by the mind, and the choice to act is a confluence of these three things...it seems to agree with the triple burner thingamabob...

• Like 2

Appeal to it. 

"O my heart of my mother , O my heart while I existed  upon earth, do not stand against me as a witness, do not oppose me in  in the tribunal, do not be hostile against me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West.  Although I have united myself to the land to the great western side of Heaven, may I flourish upon earth!" 

800px-Egypt_dauingevekten.jpg

Today, I listened to my heart as it told me to go to Hastings and get a movie.

Are you sure it was your heart ?   Sounds more like a 'whim' .    In my experience, when I follow my heart, I just get the main direction , not the end result .....    or any 'ands'    ... and ands are added on after I do the first bit. 

Eg.  I choose not to choose, but on this day to be led.    (Man, that is really  'askin for it' ! )  It isnt go to town, and find a homeless person in trouble and offer them refuge until they get on their feet .  

It was just 'go to town'    (great !  :(   I was hoping *****  would tell me to go and sit under the waterfall up in the rainforest .... oh well. )  So I go to town ....   then    I  get led here, led there, and it all unfolds, quite amazingly ! 

But then again, is that 'heart' leading me ... or 'spirit'  ... or what ?  What do you or I mean by 'heart' .   I chose the Egyptian 'prayer' up there as the Egyptian concept of 'heart' is very different.

Are you following 'heart' ,  'spirit' ,  'whim'  .....   ? 

When I went home to watch said movie, I realized that it was a movie that I already watched before. Disappointment ensued.

Ummmm ....   dont you think its more likely that you could have been wrong about it  .....    I mean, I have to admire a man that blames Tao for being wrong rather than himself ...    :D  ... but  .....  

For me ... its the result that later affirms, in retrospect, what one was actually doing, and if one had a motivation or not ?

In my case I did meet someone - a run away living in a van ;  totally freaked out , PTS victim from recent bad events, in a bad state ... that I just 'happened' to run into by the river.  Not my type at all ... many physical things about her turned me right off ( so I knew it was not 'masked lust' - gotta watch that one ! ) but this was where I was being led.

Anyway, to shorten things, she made a great recovery under my influence. 'Just happened' to meet a similar type of guy here that had been alone and useless for years (this woman was slight and furtive as a mouse ... but she was a worker !  I came home during a flood and she was out in my garden in raincoat weeding !  That's marrying material!  :D  ) .  They even ended up getting married, and Mr and Mrs furtive / diminutive mouse went back to her old house (that she had been chased out of by mad ex bikie, ex boyfriend ) and stood up to him!  Got rid of him , sold the house and  bought a new place by the beach 

I suppose I better add this ;    ....   and lived happily ever after .     :)    :wub:

.... Hey ! .....  what about me ?  What did I get out of it ?   :(

... Oh, thats right ..... it was  a ' heart thing ' .   

But there ya go .... just one day , one morning, I gave up direction and followed .... whatever you wanna call it .... and all that came from that decision not to decide. 

Every moment we stand at an intersection .... the next step and direction we take can have a lot of consequences .... or non .... you might just end up sitting there thinking  .... ' Hey!  I already seen this ! "        ;)

• Like 2

My heart is made out of iron.

Pure iron ?   

Iron is quite soft you know   ;)

Then your not following Dao... but the manifestation of Dao... Man's Way (aka: Ren Dao)

You're just admitting duality at work.

What if your heart tells you to rent a certain movie which it turns out you´ve already seen and in your frustration you post a question on Taobums about the nature of heart knowledge and twenty-four posts later you come to understand so much more than you did before....was your heart really wrong?

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this