Sign in to follow this  
roger

Who is the one doing the practices?

I just wanted to share a theory I have about exactly how and why physical movements, breathing patterns, and visualization techniques really work.

It has to do with the fact that, because we're all the Universal, the Universal (our true self) is the one doing the technique.

The technique then becomes a way of experiencing and connecting with one's true self.

How is it different from ordinary daily activity in this respect? In other words, if it's the "true self" who's doing the technique, wouldn't it be the true self brushing your teeth?

The thing is that ultimately, yes, but when you do spiritual practices, there's a certain conscious awareness of the divine- there's something within that knows you're being your true self, it's implied in the doing of the technique.

This is just one perspective, but I'd love to hear everyone's opinions about how and why things like physical movements, such as in qi gong, tai chi, and hatha yoga, are effective.

By following the movements, breathing patterns, mental states etc of those arts, we are aligning ourselves with the universe (thus universal self), as we are, for instance, atuning our brain wave frequency to the Schumann resonance in the Earth's electromagnetic field. So we are establishing the connection from "below" as it were, applying the Hermetic principle of analogy. This works because all is one, as your post suggests, but this one-ness needs to be actualized.

• Like 1

From a given perspective I actually agree with the root concept here.  That awareness of our actions performed with intention are more significant than our rote or instinctual actions.

And these actions we perform with awareness will cause the actions to be much more personal and emotion inspiring than those other actions.

I can't go any further than that.

• Like 1

to borrow from our Buddhist folks: (in paraphrase)  "before enlightenment - chop wood and carry water, after enlightenment - chop wood and carry water....

• Like 1

I just wanted to share a theory I have about exactly how and why physical movements, breathing patterns, and visualization techniques really work.

It has to do with the fact that, because we're all the Universal, the Universal (our true self) is the one doing the technique.

The technique then becomes a way of experiencing and connecting with one's true self.

How is it different from ordinary daily activity in this respect? In other words, if it's the "true self" who's doing the technique, wouldn't it be the true self brushing your teeth?

The thing is that ultimately, yes, but when you do spiritual practices, there's a certain conscious awareness of the divine- there's something within that knows you're being your true self, it's implied in the doing of the technique.

This is just one perspective, but I'd love to hear everyone's opinions about how and why things like physical movements, such as in qi gong, tai chi, and hatha yoga, are effective.

I agree with you roger.

The "Universal" as you call it (as good a label as any) occasionally wakens within us. It becomes self-aware in us, like we wake up and open our eyes and see our Self in everything "out there" - yes? It can be a big and obvious event or it can be a subtle hint, a whisper, almost like you're in a dream and you thought you heard someone call your name and you're not sure so you start looking to see if someone is there, hiding. Or it can simply be a feeling of dissatisfaction with the way things are, like something is missing. I think this is the most subtle. I think this latter form can be highly motivating (the Buddhists make very good use of it in the ngondro practices) but can also be destructive, like when people are wealthy and fortunate enough to be able to acquire everything and anything they could possible want, but even all of that doesn't make them happy. Then they get depressed and frustrated and turn to addictions (sex, drugs, food, alcohol) to numb the empty feeling. 

I went through all of that to simply say that, yes, the spiritual exercises give the Universal a focused activity to try and break through into our lives. I think they are particularly useful because they have a few things in common -

1. quieting of the inner narrator and thought train that we ride around on most of our lives

2. connection between mind and body - this has a powerful ground and stabilizing effect and also brings us into this very moment

3. taking the focus off of the "me" that has problems, preferences, the one that judges everything - some traditions do this through focusing on others, some focus primarily on mind-body connection, some get us into nature, some by dismantling or trying to locate that "me", but I think this dis-identification is basically important.

- this isn't meant to be an exhaustive or authoritative list, just a few casual observences

Once we open enough to feel that in a bit more tangible and stable way, it is something that can and should take root in every aspect of our waking, sleeping, and dreaming lives - total integration. That's a lot more challenging but ultimately very fulfilling and somewhat self-sustaining. I say somewhat because, at least in my experience, this connection and motivation waxes and wanes considerably over time, especially as we try to continue to live in the "real world."

• Like 1

From a given perspective I actually agree with the root concept here.  That awareness of our actions performed with intention are more significant than our rote or instinctual actions.

And these actions we perform with awareness will cause the actions to be much more personal and emotion inspiring than those other actions.

I can't go any further than that.

From the perspective of Daoist sensibility, I would say we probably could go farther than that if you felt like bringing labels like wu wei and de into the discussion. Would you say those concepts are related to roger's point? They certainly seem to be apt for me. 

• Like 1

From the perspective of Daoist sensibility, I would say we probably could go farther than that if you felt like bringing labels like wu wei and de into the discussion. Would you say those concepts are related to roger's point? They certainly seem to be apt for me. 

That is a tough question.  Fair, but still tough.

I hold strictly to the concept of the Ten Thousand Things.  That being separate, individual things.  I was never a part of Mao Zedong and I will never accept any responsibility for what he did to his own people.

That said, I will repeat something I have said before:  We each are special and unique.  Special implying a separate individual.

Okay, that's my manifest understanding.  How to your question:

Yes, I hold to the concept of wu wei and de.  Wu wei, non-action or action without alterior intension.  De, the processes of all things of Dao.

More importantly, I also hold to the concept of individual and universal Chi.  The energy of life and the energy of the universe.  Energy radiated by me may interact with the energy of someone else.  This actually happens up close and personal and likely also happens over long distances.  So I suppose that it could be said that we are all connected in this manner.  I can accept this but I have no reason to think that it goes any further than that.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this