Sign in to follow this  
CummingsJD

Thoughts on the James Legge Translation

Hello all, 

I have not, until now owned a physical copy of the Tao Te Ching.  I have audiobooks, and a file on my computer.  However, I was visiting a book store and bought a few books (searching for the Ender's Game series books I did not already own).  I came across a "economic and earth friendly" version of the Tao Te Ching.  It was made from recycled materials, and a very thin compact edition.  This was my main reasoning for buying it aside from owning a physical copy.  

I am not sure how I feel about the James Legge translation.  I will absorb as much as I can, noting that these were very early translations from Chinese to English (also researching the back history of Mr. Legge).

I want to know what all your opinions of this translation is, and what are the positives, and negatives of his work on it.  

Thanks everyone! 

I won't go as far as Taoist Texts did but it is a valid translation based on the resources James had available to him.

• Like 2

It's grown on me. Using ctext.org a lot, it's right there with the Chinese text and so I have been exposed to it quite a bit. Though I admit I haven't read it all the way through from beginning to end.

I object quite strongly to the occasional floral language, most particularly the bits where he tried to make it into rhyming verse. It's hard enough getting the meaning across in the first place, without trying to make rhyme and fit a meter. Whenever I get to one of those bits I go read someone else's translation. But that's about style, not meaning.

As far as meaning, I find I usually agree. More so than with many of the other popular translations. He didn't take too many liberties, and his use of parentheses (to highlight things not specified, but perhaps implied, in the text) is something I wish more would attempt.

And as Taoist Texts says, Legge's is a foundational translation. All others take something from it, if only indirectly.

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 4

I am not sure how I feel about the James Legge translation.  I will absorb as much as I can, noting that these were very early translations from Chinese to English (also researching the back history of Mr. Legge).

So what's your opinion as you read JL translation? I have always wondered how these scholars learned where the only resources they had was a library, an appointed Chinese scholar and certainly students. Still don't know if this an accurate information though.

Sign in to follow this