Sign in to follow this  
Maddie

Scholar monk vs. Meditation monk

When I began Buddhism I was almost 100% exclusively interested in meditation. I had little interest in anything else such as textual studies devotional practices ECT... But as time has come to pass I'm finding that textual studies seem to be doing more for me as well as chanting than meditation. This has caused me to wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences?

• Like 1

I definitely practice more than I read - it was my karma, I guess, to find teachers who emphasized practice over study in both Daoist and Buddhist practices. For me, I think this is a good thing because I tend towards the intellectual frame. That said I think both are extremely valuable, especially in Buddhism. The important thing is that you've found something that's working for you and that's great!

Edited by steve
  • Like 2

scholar/yogi thats the way to go for me for sure

the investigation into the teachings help me clarify doubts - the less doubts I have about the view, the easier I can rest in it without wondering if I rest it correctly or not - or is this or is more like that?

but all the study without putting it into practice would a waste of precious time don't you think?

the main part bit is to rest in meditative equpoise on the true nature of reality, and in order to get there you chant the heart sutra, study the scriptures and try it out on the cushion, I feel if one part is missing it will likely be more difficult.

no just meditation could do the trick if you have good guidance and alot of natural faith - if not some study will help to get the faith in the teachings and teacher

something like that comes to mind

Edited by RigdzinTrinley
  • Like 1

When I began Buddhism I was almost 100% exclusively interested in meditation. I had little interest in anything else such as textual studies devotional practices ECT... But as time has come to pass I'm finding that textual studies seem to be doing more for me as well as chanting than meditation. This has caused me to wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences?

According to Master Nan, to study is quintessential for those living in society and especially if they're devoted to cultivation.

Listen to 21:54

• Like 1

I do find listening to dharma speeches to be important.   Learning from the wise- history, ethics, pitfalls, classics, funny stories.. the things I didn't know, I don't know.. is one of the foundations of practice. 

I like Infinite Smile podcast, Zencast and listening to Ajahn Brahms many online speeches

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

I promise I'm not trying to be clever, but does the meditation ever end?

Right now I'm doing the "writing on the internet" meditation, in a minute I'll be doing the eating meditation, later I'll do the sleep meditation, or maybe the talk on the phone with a friend meditation. It all arises from stillness, whatever it is you're doing.

If you sit under a tree, upright posture, eyes closed, practicing emptiness... you're meditating. If you walk away and start doing the scholarly thing, you're just changing the meditation.

It's all one thing.

• Like 2

not trying to be a stick in the grass, but well I guess I am

I agree with what you say if you have that kind of insight into non duality for sure its true...if not then it is a nice idea but what actually happens is something like that:

trying not to follow delusional thought patterns, getting carried away, trying to not follow delusional thought pattern, getting carried away.... (meditation)

simply follow delusional thought patterns (post meditation - or day to day life)

Edited by RigdzinTrinley
  • Like 1

not trying to be a stick in the grass, but well I guess I am

I agree with what you say if you have that kind of insight into non duality for sure its true...if not then it is a nice idea but what actually happens is something like that:

trying not to follow delusional thought patterns, getting carried away, trying to not follow delusional thought pattern, getting carried away.... (meditation)

simply follow delusional thought patterns (post meditation - or day to day life)

It's not even about the non-dualistic mindset. Be dualistic! I'm just pointing out that whatever you're doing through the intervention of mind is a meditation because it takes place in the presence of stillness, which is always there.

In other words don't worry about it.

I think many methods get us there, wherever "there" is. :)

• Like 1

It's not even about the non-dualistic mindset. Be dualistic! I'm just pointing out that whatever you're doing through the intervention of mind is a meditation because it takes place in the presence of stillness, which is always there.

In other words don't worry about it.

I think many methods get us there, wherever "there" is. :)

In my opinion, meditation isn't just something that takes place in the presence of stillness.

That thing is a conceptual understanding like Emptiness/Brahman or the love of God.

When you have a strong one-pointed concentration developed in formal sitting meditation, only then you can make that understanding real and experience it.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this