Sign in to follow this  
JoshuaSmith

Hello from the Chehalem Mountains

My name is Joshua Smith. I am learning qigong. I started only a couple of weeks ago. I ordered the Dragon and Tiger Medical Qigong set from Bruce Frantzis and EnergyArts.

I have only learned the first 4 movements but am excited about what I am learning and how I am feeling. I went through The Practice of Qigong by Ken Cohen and am well into The Great Courses', Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition. I am considering learning Flying Phoenix with Terry Dunn's DVD set next. (I like to plan things.) As I was looking into Flying Phoenix I ran across this forum and found that Dunn and Franztis are both here. 

I look forward to learning more and the discussions I may be a part of as I continue my journey. May many of us walk beside one another, if only for a little while.

• Like 1

Hello JoshuaSmith, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Joshua,

I'm sure you will have no problem finding other members to exchange ideas with.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

Welcome to the site. 

With your interest in the Flying Phoenix system you have 227 pages! of writing awaiting you here, in the Group Studies section B) .  Seems to be a really solid system. 

• Like 2

another welcome to this site ...

it is a good place to find encouragement for your practice ...  especially when you hit slow periods (which you will).  My sense is persistence in practice is the key to progress 

for some people a real live group is helpful,   but you can do this on your own mostly.

For me  i started TCC and various groups have contributed to my experience including Sifu Dunn most recently

good luck in your qi gong

peace

charlie

• Like 1

From my own experience I can say it is not good to try to learn multiple different qigong methods at the same time. If you do learn Flying Phoenix Chi Kung there are so many exercises to do on that one it is unlikely you will have any time left to do any other method. So I would suggest first thinking about how much time per day you have to devote to doing qigong, that will narrow your choices in which method you go after. There are some methods that take one hour or more to do. There are some very powerful methods that take 15 minutes to do.

• Like 1

You can approach Qi Gong from several levels - as general calisthenics and for general health and balance - for specific health and vitality reasons - and for a spiritual enlightenment oriented deeper practice.

Obviously at any time you may change / morph from one approach to another.

It is not possible as a beginner to understand just how incredible and how far this practice can open to you. And while it is not generally good to mix these practices up - if you are approaching them from the lighter side then who is to say it is not a good thing.

But if you wish to unfold deeply within Qi Gong - it is best not to mix practices - it takes quite along time just to get into the basics and begin really feeling some of the subtle things - then a few years to open up deeply - and then - it depends upon what you are willing to give up / end.

At depth this is not a Bruce Lee aspiration - to absorb and "master" a great range of techniques.

However if this is your present goal - go for it.

Amassing many different teachings may be a great impediment to a deeper understanding of Qi Gong - unless you master one first - probably typically 8 years or more if you work intensely at which point you may have little interest in exploring other methods.

However - there are some basic differences that are very key and which initially you may wish to take a brief look at:

(By the way - I did not look around long at all so this list is not long)

Do they talk a lot during class - for me I found it very distracting and one teacher talked constantly - yet some students like that and they had course after course that you could take and get a teaching certificate.

Do they do breathing exercises - some do not - I wanted mine to include breathing as soon as I experienced it with breathing.

Was personality included in the teaching - this is a hard one to explain but in general - was it a teacher oriented way or a system oriented way - I prefer the system oriented way - you may like more flare.

I also was happy to know that my Qi Gong was based in Healing And Enlightenment - some / many have lost the notion that it is an enlightening practice. And among the many that recognize the notion - very few understand or have a clue as to what that might mean.

Bruce Frantzis outlines what I have stated above and though I have never done any of his teachings or read any of his books - he appears to be able to address a very full range. What can be accomplished / attained in Qi Gong is not easily explained - but it would make starting fire with ones hands look like kiddie play.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this