Sign in to follow this  
ralis

Prince Has Passed Away

Never a big fan of his music, though I do have SOTT and PR.

Lot of talent dying this year. Brings it home. I can remember seeing PR the film at a time we were late teens. We went because we/I thought it was a motorcycle film. I didn't believe he was a serious musician, more a Michael Jackson Parody. He was too 'cool' for my tastes-but my mate wanted to emulate him. Later on I was surprised to find he made good music. 57! Blimey. I lost two mates last year in their early 60s and our Queen of comedy (Vic Woods) has died at 65. Get ye back grim reaper.

Edited by Karl

Not a big fan, but I recognize quality, passion and talent.  He wrote the music, lyrics, played the instruments, produced the albums,  all of it, something thats seems to be getting rarer these days.  He had a longer film career then many realize. 

I enjoyed his solo at the bash for George Harrison - though he was somewhat blatantly full of himself - it was impossible not to see an uncanny ability - the speed, perfection and smoothness all in an effortless un-cranked delivery is jaw dropping.

(T)hough he was somewhat blatantly full of himself - it was impossible not to see an uncanny ability - the speed, perfection and smoothness all in an effortless un-cranked delivery is jaw dropping.

:)

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell

It could be that his death occur from unhealthy American life style and with his money.

It could be that his death occur from unhealthy American life style and with his money.

Or that he had epilepsy from childhood, both of his hips had disintegrated and he had just returned from hospital following a severe bout of flue ?

Yeah,I've heard about it.I also heard he might took too much of pain killing pills from his hip operation.

Edited by Junko

Yeah,I've heard about it.I also heard he might took too much of pain killing pills from his hip operation.

I don't think he had a hip operation. From what I read he is a JW and refused treatment-although I'm not clear why, from what I could glean from a JW colleague the only issue is blood transfusions/organ replacement. A hip is an artificial medical joint and he could have had artificial blood plasma during surgery ? I'm not that up on these things, but that seems possible ?

Recent reports are stating it was opioid overdose.

To cope with his hip pain ?

• Like 1

This is a great tribute to Prince- http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-objective-reasons-prince-greatest-musician-ever/

"..For years now, I've been telling people who were bored enough to ask that Prince, hands down, is my favorite guitar player of all time... 

One of the best examples, and one that's been getting a lot of additional and well-deserved attention in the days since he died, is his solo during the all-star performance of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" at the 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony. You can see it in the above video. If you want to skip directly to his solo, head to

.. " Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

Hendrix by a country mile as a rock guitarist. I doubt anyone will ever come close. Prince uses many of his licks...well most guitarists do.

There is a story that Clapton, Page and Beck considered themselves to be the best and were always trying to outdo one another. When they heard about Hendrix they decided to go and see what all the fuss was about and see how he measured up to their prowess. After one spectacular solo from Hendrix they realised who the master was. It wasn't really Hendrix's technical ability-good though it was-it was the sheer musicality, innovation and creativity that was conjured up and the ease with which it was delivered. Prince plows a similar furrow, but well in the shadows of a great.

Edited by Karl

it aint an election, nobody's competing, so no need to piss up that rope

What ?

Who's the best is a national obsession along with top tens. Got to be done.

Prince's career-long battle with the music industry

Prince was not just a highly talented musician and performer, he was also renowned as a savvy and tough businessman who took on the music establishment. Prince waged major, risky battles with the recording industry to protect his work and railed against digital downloads, taking on the might of iTunes and YouTube.

Rob Cox — whose day job is an editor at financial analysis services Reuters BreakingViews — is one of the many Prince fans who say he rocked not just music but the business of music. "He should go down as the executive formerly known as Prince for some of the amazingly, maverick things he did during his career, particularly in fighting against the music and the technology establishment."

Mr Cox said the "scantily clad kid from Minneapolis" who emerged in 1976 challenged the system from day one, even though his initial record sales were disappointing.

However, it was not until the early 1980s, with his the success of his fifth studio record "1999" and being brought to fame by the advent of MTV, that Prince began to flex his business muscle. "It was shortly after that in 1985 that he set up Paisley Park Records, and the idea was to basically do like the Beatles had done before, to basically own control and independence," Mr Cox said. "The problem was Warner Music had helped bankroll the creation of Paisley Park Records and the terms of their agreement became a bit of a problem."

Prince 'slave' protest helped 'shift power back to artists

tumblr_o6evxjNQCL1utpbkho1_1280.jpg

As part of a contractual battle with Warner Brothers, Prince controversially painted the world "slave" on his face and changed his name to a symbol. "Prince established this idea of independence before the advent of digital downloads, and that really hurt the record industry," Mr Cox said.

"He was out there arguing for independent ownership of your music and of your image, to the extent that his name became the issue. "And you know, 20 years later, 10 years later, we'd start to see the record labels losing their power, and not least because they are losing their financial grip and now, really, the power has shifted back to the artists and to the performers."

Prince also railed against digital downloads and said the Internet was "completely over" thumbing his nose to iTunes and streaming services. Mr Cox said the business battles fought by Prince are an overwhelming legacy to the rights of other artists. "All along he had this maverick approach to the industries who tried to control his image or his videos or his music," he said. "I think, in many ways, you're going to find a lot of bands, a lot of musicians, owe a real debt to Prince for that today."

Somemore new news about Prince,I've heard there was a drug found in his house and he was suffering from Aids.

Edited by Junko

When I come out of meditation in the deep jhanas I feel like I'm on opioids for hours. I can induce the same state just by tilting my head and putting my tongue up. The state is so powerful I can easily see how someone can become addicted to opioids such as oxycontin or heroin. We need better pain management in allopathic medicine.

Sign in to follow this