Brian

Science Proves Meridians Exist

An interesting little article I thought I'd share:

http://upliftconnect.com/science-proves-meridians-exist

I found the item that article links to, about a study published in the Journal of Electron Spectroscopy and Related Phenomena, even more interesting so I'll link directly to that one, too:

http://www.healthcmi.com/Acupuncture-Continuing-Education-News/1230-new-ct-scans-reveal-acupuncture-points

• Like 10

Dear Brian,

Interesting, but hardly conclusive. And somewhat at odds with other work which I have tried but not fully succeeded in tracking down. I will point out that imaging anatomical detail at ST36 is a long long way from actually imaging or identifying a meridian. However, it is in line with some work out of russia which also identified parts of the meridian system with vascular anatomy. 

It is, at least, a nice step away from people claiming that there is "nothing"!

Exactly! We are starting to see the emergence of significant research that is starting to corroborate key elements of traditional energetic knowledge from a variety of cultures. Of course, the scientists will say this demonstrates there was nothing supernatural about these ideas but that is precisely the point -- until recently, scientists have been saying the concepts didn't merit research because it was just old wives tales and supernatural mumbo-jumbo, kinda like happens with everything else that moves from the realm of "outside science" to the realm of "inside science," while practitioners have been the ones saying there was nothing supernatural about it. Scientific validation isn't necessary for those with experiential knowledge but will help to dispel the aura of mysticism and quackery -- not just the aura, in fact, but eventually results from such research will both help to improve & to vet energetic systems. This will help to sort the wheat from the chaff, both in terms of systems and practitioners.

Science is neither a threat to nor a replacement for art but is instead both complementary and supplemental to it.

EDIT: Just for clarity, the title of this thread is the title of the first linked article, not me proclaiming the article to be "proof" of anything.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 3

It's been conclusively shown that electrical conductivity on meridian points is significantly higher than that of the skin just a millimeter off of those points...

I looked at both articles. Does not seem conclusive. I've always thoughht of meridians in terms of myofascial lines....need to do more research on it. I hope they can prove it scientifically. It would be a nice breakthrough.

Not peer reviewed research, but this Russian acupuncturist in Australia found that doing gua sha with a silver tool on patients with lead poisoning will make the channels visibly appear.

• Like 1