Veezel

The Diary of a novice Taoist (Open for everybody)

April 15, 2016

I am beginning a journey from this very day I write in this journal. From now on, I will no longer be a Christian. I will be a Taoist Christian, practicing The Way while putting faith on Jesus Christ.

From my understanding, The Way is the path of least resistance. I will put forth effort in maintaining a peaceful and joyful life.

Enjoy life to the fullest. That is my motto.

• Like 6

You shouldn't have many conflicts with the Taoist/Christian thing.  Still a Religious Taoist.

Yes, the path of least resistance.  I have problems with that some times.

Best wishes along your journey.

• Like 3

I am beginning a journey from this very day I write in this journal. From now on, I will no longer be a Christian. I will be a Taoist Christian, practicing The Way while putting faith on Jesus Christ.

An interesting bit of linguistic trivia: One of the better translation of the Dao De Jing is by John C.H. Wu, who was also a Christian.  He also translated the New Testament from the Greek into Chinese.  For John 1:1, he translated "In the beginning was the Word ["logos" in Greek]" as "In the beginning was the Dao."  Not that Wu intended to make a literal connection between the two, but "logos" had a similar "spiritual depth" as the word "Dao." 

Consider the lilies....

• Like 2

April 15, 2016

I worked out today. Nothing special...

What is special is that I listened to my collection of songs in my smartphone as leisure time. It is my way of practicing Tao, balancing a gruelling workout with something relaxing. I'm not sure if I'm doing things right.

April 17, 2016

I went out to Church with a friend today and ate at a Chinese buffet.

I wasn't feeling like I was in the Tao while I was at Church. I was incredibly bored with the sermon. Just being there felt like I was forcing myself to do something...

However, after that, I had great fun eating in the restaurant. I then went to Barnes and Noble and spoiled myself further by having a Frapuccino. Now I'm regretting it...

I have to step it up a notch with this Tao thing... At this moment, I am reading the Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff.

• Like 1

I wasn't feeling like I was in the Tao while I was at Church. I was incredibly bored with the sermon. Just being there felt like I was forcing myself to do something...

That caused me an inner smile.

Why?

Because I've been there and done that.

I even got to the point where I felt I was being disrespectful of the religion by being in one of its churches.  So I stopped going.

• Like 2

I don't know how old you are.  I wish you good luck. 

For one thing, Tao can not be studied.  Tao is not a belief system.  The Tao does not care if you believe it or not. 

Second, Tao can not be learned BUT must be realized in unraveling your own life and issues.  If you can do that, the Tao is realizable.  

To go anywhere with Taoism, you must learn about the Taoist internal alchemy and how to work with your chi level.  Here, you are dealing with the subtle energy.  And how to use these energy to realize the Tao in the experiential level.  

• Like 2

I don't know how old you are.  I wish you good luck. 

For one thing, Tao can not be studied.  Tao is not a belief system.  The Tao does not care if you believe it or not. 

Second, Tao can not be learned BUT must be realized in unraveling your own life and issues.  If you can do that, the Tao is realizable.  

To go anywhere with Taoism, you must learn about the Taoist internal alchemy and how to work with your chi level.  Here, you are dealing with the subtle energy.  And how to use these energy to realize the Tao in the experiential level.  

You speak as if Tao is a living entity. I thought it was simply a way of life.

Please explain.

• Like 1

Please explain.

It exists as subtle energy...as Chi.  Most people know about the Tao as a philosophy or a teaching because they are trying to grasp it conceptually.  You can study or read about Chan Buddhism or go google Dharma and Tao.  You would realize it is more than just textual teaching.  Is the way how your mind has changed in order to see the world differently.  As a result, your body would begin to change and certain energy pathways would begin to open up.  You would then experience the Chi.  

Keep reading the subject and you would eventually understand what you are looking for. 

Couple of books I would recommend...

http://www.amazon.com/Awaken-Healing-Energy-Through-The/dp/0943358078

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3ANan%20Huai-Chin

By Nan Huai-Chin

Edited by ChiForce
  • Like 1

It exists as subtle energy...as Chi.  Most people know about the Tao as a philosophy or a teaching because they are trying to grasp it conceptually.  You can study or read about Chan Buddhism or go google Dharma and Tao.  You would realize it is more than just textual teaching.  Is the way how your mind has changed in order to see the world differently.  As a result, your body would begin to change and certain energy pathways would begin to open up.  You would then experience the Chi.  

Keep reading the subject and you would eventually understand what you are looking for. 

Couple of books I would recommend...

http://www.amazon.com/Awaken-Healing-Energy-Through-The/dp/0943358078

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3ANan%20Huai-Chin

By Nan Huai-Chin

So by staying on Tao, you experience Chi? Is that how it works?

Is Tao a state of mind?

• Like 1

April 18, 2016

It is 12:05 am as I write this.

I bought the Book "The Tao of Pooh" and I love it. It helps me understand Tao better.

• Like 1

Please explain.

This is where religious beliefs and theology come in.

What I believe, and what I feel Taoism teaches, is that Tao IS a "living entity"- it is the Universal Life, the Universal Consciousness that we all share. The Native Americans call it the "Great Spirit".

Eastern religions, including Taoism, assert that we are all connected, really, we're all ONE. The life within you is the SAME life within everyone- THAT LIFE IS TAO. Or you could call it the Christ, the Buddha, Krishna Consciousness, or even God.

You are a FORM or MANIFESTATION of that Tao, that God.

This is what I consider to be the basic foundation for Taoist, Eastern, New Age, and perennial philosophy.

Nice sharing, ChiForce. I am a christian too (non-practicing), learning & practicing Taichi, and recently learning to live in the flow of Dao as well. Thank you for the reading recommendations. Agree with you that Dao exists as Chi. Leaening to appreciate this bit.

• Like 1

Is Tao a state of mind?

How???  Not so simple.  You break through the skandha of form (in the Buddhist teaching, there are 5 skandhas responsible for the human suffering and Form is the first one and the most difficult barrier to break through), you can unleash your Chi naturally without the use of drugs and substances.  What is Form?  Daily life situations and phenomena making your reality to become your reality...but in reality they are just preconditions you have learned over the course of your life living in this world.  You can use this path but the process is long and hard, 10 years maybe.

Or you can study under a proven master if you can find one.     

Is Tao a state of mind?

One way to experience Chi is to open your heart.

You don't need any practices to do this.

You just let love come through.

You can also study in various chi gong and tai chi techniques.  Personally, I don't practice them because my chi didn't come to me that way.  Two, I am a pseudo endurance athlete who is into cycling.

If you want a PPD created for yourself, I can move this to there.  Otherwise, this topic will get pushed down unless someone is always posting in it.

See here:

http://www.thedaobums.com/forum/15-personal-practice-discussion/

In this area, you completely 'own' your topics.

April 15, 2016

From my understanding, The Way is the path of least resistance. I will put forth effort in maintaining a peaceful and joyful life.

Enjoy life to the fullest. That is my motto.

Dao is everything and there is nothing that is not Dao (or a manifestation of it).  It is immediately experienced (or one is capable of that) in everything...  

If you're going to define 'least resistance' then it will show up in resistance and then you will feel the need to 'put forth effort'.   If you're going to define 'peaceful' and 'joyful' then it will show up in 'boring sermons'.  If you're going to define 'special', then you're going to feel the not so special and feel a need to 'step it up a notch'.

And your 'trying'... and in some cases maybe a little too hard.  That is not Dao nor Daoism.  That is the way of man interpreting the world around him... separate from himself.

What you're doing right now is viewing and experiencing the world as duality.   (not knocking it, just my observation and I think it is good to see you moving along a path).

One grand duality of Dao often mentioned here is that of:  Manifest and Mystery.

You're doing well at engaging in the former's inherent duality... if you can let go of some of that, be more the distance observer who loses themself in what they are watching so as to not notice any difference between the observed and the observer... then the 'mystery' aspect might come in more.

• Like 1

... I am a pseudo endurance athlete who is into cycling.

You can cycle without being an athlete.  Just nail one foot to the floor and start walking.

April 18, 2016

I had a gruelling leg workout in the gym today. It was tough and very refreshing. Exercise has the ability to rejuvenate not just the body, but also the soul.

• Like 2

April 19, 2016

I worked out today, like I always do most of the time.

I love my simple life. I wake up, I eat, and I work out. I am not employed. Instead, I'm waiting for my SSI to get approved.

I have to cherish the moments that I'm alive. That's the way to happiness. That is, in my opinion, Tao.

April 20, 2016

I ate a turkey burger and rice after my workout.

Food is more delicious when you're hungry, which I was. The journey towards success in bodybuilding is full of eating good food, which I like...

• Like 1