Sign in to follow this  
roger

loving yourself in this crazy world

I'm sure I have already stated that I love myself.  I know I have mentioned that I love my ego.

But yes, be real. 

We are nothing more nor nothing less than what we really are.  And this is judged most by others, not our self.

• Like 1

I'm sure I have already stated that I love myself.  I know I have mentioned that I love my ego.

But yes, be real. 

We are nothing more nor nothing less than what we really are.  And this is judged most by others, not our self.

Only an egoist is capable of love. To say 'I love' one must first be capable of saying 'I'.

• Like 1

But yes, be real. 

I'll add the spin that, for many, this is judged most by our self but best by others.

Only an egoist is capable of love. To say 'I love' one must first be capable of saying 'I'.

There is no one who is incapable of saying "I" and yet the experience of I does not require that one accepts that I as the central motivating factor of life. Love exists independent of the thought that labels itself "I" in my experience. 

• Like 3

There is no one who is incapable of saying "I" and yet the experience of I does not require that one accepts that I as the central motivating factor of life. Love exists independent of the thought that labels itself "I" in my experience.

It is the ONLY motivating factor. You cannot love anything unless you accept your ego A selfless love is a contradiction. Love is to judge and appreciate the values and happiness that others bring to ones own life.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

It really is safe to love yourself.

I'm not sure the other options make things any safer.

As a child we may have to put ourselves down and close up to survive, but as an adult such things usually makes things more difficult and makes the world scarier and more insane.

• Like 4

thank you for putting into words what is slowly emerging here,

BES

• Like 1

It is the ONLY motivating factor. You cannot love anything unless you accept your ego A selfless love is a contradiction. Love is to judge and appreciate the values and happiness that others bring to ones own life.

There is a different kind of love or perhaps better to say a different experience of love. 

Very hard to capture this in words. 

As has been mentioned in other threads recently, there are experiences that cannot be communicated in words.

If you have had the experience, you see and feel the truth of it and know what the other is pointing to.

If you have not had the experience, you explain it away because there is no frame of reference.

I understand your perspective and agree with your words from that point of view.

I'm referring to something totally different.

• Like 2

There is a different kind of love or perhaps better to say a different experience of love. 

Very hard to capture this in words. 

As has been mentioned in other threads recently, there are experiences that cannot be communicated in words.

If you have had the experience, you see and feel the truth of it and know what the other is pointing to.

If you have not had the experience, you explain it away because there is no frame of reference.

I understand your perspective and agree with your words from that point of view.

I'm referring to something totally different.

So it's a sensation that you can't describe.

• Like 1

let me have a stab and i can only do this from experience of transmission/having my mind held in this state.

pure metta feels like flying in space on a magic carpet, the way i would describe it is very three dimensional, like you are floating in space with no ground beneath you. it's also impossible to feel pain at the same time as it closes the aversion mind door. awesome stuff :D

• Like 2

let me have a stab and i can only do this from experience of transmission/having my mind held in this state.

pure metta feels like flying in space on a magic carpet, the way i would describe it is very three dimensional, just like you are floating in space. it's also impossible to feel pain at the same time. awesome stuff :D

I often use the analogy of a magic carpet ride :)

It is a great place to be.

Loving ourselves can sometimes be one of the hardest lessons, but once we are able to, it opens us up to a whole new world.

• Like 1

@wilf thank you.

"But it's real, just as I am real so is the world. It's a perfect creation with many levels and enormous complexity. It is driven by an infinite source that is neither created or destroyed, the source is not a dead energy, it is pure love. Not the soppy stuff, this is far deeper, infinite and supreme.

Once that is realised, once theatre nature is revealed it is obvious. I am that I am, the conduit of this power and part of it. It allows a pure love of the world and total detachment at the same time. An immense depth and strength without fear and a need to serve."

A bit like that kind of thing. Stillness dancing. Expansion of consciousness ?

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

I cannot describe it, but the descriptions above give words that begin to resonate because of something that happenend last week.

But, it is indeed having had some experience with it that let you resonate with it.

just like: the feeling of having butterflies in the belly, head in the clouds, loss of appettite and in strong cases a vague smile plastered on your face, you cannot explain that feeling to one who has never experienced it. just as you can't explain more mature love to a lifepartner (or children) to a sixteenyear-old.

Steve said: "There is no one who is incapable of saying "I" and yet the experience of I does not require that one accepts that I as the central motivating factor of life. Love exists independent of the thought that labels itself "I" in my experience. "

And today it rings a bell with me, but last week i would have read his words uncomprehending.

• Like 1

I cannot describe it, but the descriptions above give words that begin to resonate because of something that happenend last week.

But, it is indeed having had some experience with it that let you resonate with it.

just like: the feeling of having butterflies in the belly, head in the clouds, loss of appettite and in strong cases a vague smile plastered on your face, you cannot explain that feeling to one who has never experienced it.

Bit like:

"I find myself enjoying my thoughts and body energies in a way that has me grinning like a cheshire cat. I can't remember that I have ever 'not' thought this way (if that makes sense) yet somehow something has subtly changed."

Bit like: "I find myself enjoying my thoughts and body energies in a way that has me grinning like a cheshire cat. I can't remember that I have ever 'not' thought this way (if that makes sense) yet somehow something has subtly changed."

yes, perceptions and feelings can change without having actively done something for it. It sounds like it's an enjoyable change for you.

Funny thing is, when I read your posts, i'm very much reminded of a some years younger BES.  A very rational woman with a strong streak of logic and no nonsense please. I would have sided with you on many ( but not all  :P ) topics.

But I've changed, things started to happen, and are still happening. that changed my perspective on life a ( and love) considerably.

love BES

Edited by blue eyed snake
  • Like 1

yes, perceptions and feelings can change without having actively done something for it. It sounds like it's an enjoyable change for you.

Funny thing is, when I read your posts, i'm very much reminded of a some years younger BES.  A very rational woman with a strong streak of logic and no nonsense please. I would have sided with you on many ( but not all  :P ) topics.

But I've changed, things started to happen, and are still happening. that changed my perspective on life a ( and love) considerably.

love BES

That was me 6 years ago BES.

So it's a sensation that you can't describe.

Nope, not a sensation - more like a knowing.

@wilf thank you.

"But it's real, just as I am real so is the world. It's a perfect creation with many levels and enormous complexity. It is driven by an infinite source that is neither created or destroyed, the source is not a dead energy, it is pure love. Not the soppy stuff, this is far deeper, infinite and supreme.

Once that is realised, once theatre nature is revealed it is obvious. I am that I am, the conduit of this power and part of it. It allows a pure love of the world and total detachment at the same time. An immense depth and strength without fear and a need to serve."

A bit like that kind of thing. Stillness dancing. Expansion of consciousness ?

Who are you quoting there? Yes, it is something like that.

• Like 1

Nope, not a sensation - more like a knowing.

Who are you quoting there? Yes, it is something like that.

I'm quoting myself of course-or myself a few years back.

If it's a knowing, then what is it that you know ?

Except for blending with the void

There is no way to understand

The Way of Aiki

Ueshiba Morihei

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvW9UNgJ-Wg

I took Aikido for a while, and have always been fascinated with Ueshiba.

They say he could throw people without touching them.

Another thing that really blows my mind about him is his experience as a prisoner of war.

He was tortured by his captors, and he withstood the pain so well that they did experiments on him to see how much he could take.

I can only imagine how extreme his tolerance to pain must have been.

He had a spiritual experience once that really reveals something about life and spirituality.

He said it just hit him that it's all about love, a light went on in his head, tears came to his eyes, and he said when this happened he understood everything, that even the chirping of birds made sense to him.

Btw I'm sure if you practice Aikido you already know all this, maybe some will be inspired.

• Like 2

I'm quoting myself of course-or myself a few years back.

Wonderful

If it's a knowing, then what is it that you know ?

When to be silent

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this