DreamBliss

Would you like to help me define my, "Definite Cheif Aim"?

Before I begin I would appreciate it if we stuck to the topic at hand, not your opinions of the topic. Asking for your support here, your personal beliefs, feelings and opinions notwithstanding.

My goal is to make the needed changes in my mindset regarding, in general, abundance VS lack/limitation and, specifically, money. As I will be hitting the road in just under two months, I would like to have done everything I can, tried everything I can, that would aid me, in the very least, in supporting myself along my journey.

To this end I am working through Napoleon Hill's book, "Law of Success", the precursor to, "Think and Grow Rich." My intention is do do the same as I did with John Randolph Price's, "The Abundance Book", which I feel did help me. I think going through "Law of Success" and taking, "Think and Grow Rich" on the road with me is the next logical step.

Mr. Hill instructs the reader to write down a, "Definite Chief Aim." While he has not yet defined it specifically, as far as I can remember from what I have read, it can be thought of like focusing sunlight through a magnifying lens. Sunlight can be thought of as a desire of something someone wants to do, the Definite Chief Aim can be thought of as a magnifying lens that focuses the energy of this desire.

Examples relevant to the time are things like the Wright Brothers with their airplane and Helen Keller, who was blind, deaf and dumb, wanting to speak. Also Andrew Carnegie, who focused on steel.

If I have any sort of burning desire, it is this... To live life without limitations. I can not express properly in words how strongly I want this! But you can see how it is unfocused. There is no specific aim here, just a general direction.

[This part removed]

I figured out, using the rudderless ship example, that this gives me a fixed rudder, or a rudder set in one general direction. So maybe I have to aim at "islands" along the way. Start with exploring this world, beginning with Venice, after I travel to the Big Sur. Just keep going from there, defining an island at a time located in the general direction of the sea of life without limitations.

But I wonder if there is a better way to focus this that I am not seeing. Of taking this desire and concentrating its power more specifically. To that end I have started this thread. Any ideas on how to define something more specific here?

[This part removed]

I am curious to see what you all have to say. I want to get this concretized and written down by the end of this upcoming week.

Edited by DreamBliss

Several principle that guide my practice are as such:

1. Wisdom

2. Power

3. Knowledge

4. Playfulness

Edited by OldChi

What's your question  -- if you could write it in one sentence?

How can I change my life experience to one with no limitations?

OR

How can I change my life experience to one where I can truly be, do or have anything?

Edited by DreamBliss
  • Like 1

Several principle that guide my practice are as such:

1. Wisdom

2. Power

3. Knowledge

4. Playfulness

Using the example of a bow and arrow, considering these principles, what is your target, if you have one?

Could you explain what you mean by these principles?

Edited by DreamBliss

To clarify the previous post I made....Ive noted in my own life that specific goals change over time as we evolve.

But underlying principles that are important to us may never change and can be deep and powerful trajectories life after life. So in that context, my goals are to expand my personal reservoir of Wisdom, Power, Knowledge and continue having fun and playing.

Edited by OldChi

You say you want a life of no limitations.  No limitations. OK. That is a noble goal.

There are 5 spheres of life.

1) Mental

2) Spiritual

3) Physical

4) Financial

5) Relationships.

Priorities are important.  In your heart of hearts, which sphere do you feel like you need to work on most?  Which sphere is most important to you?  They may not be the same, of course.

• Like 1

If you had no limitations, what would you want to do with that freedom? I think that's the real question. You want no limitations for a reason, not in and of itself, despite how nice that sounds. Having no limitations is simply a means to an end. What is the "end" that underlies it?

Also, money helps remove tons of limitations. But "doing what it takes" removes all limitations.

• Like 1

Dreambliss,

One way to work towards a sense of limitlessness is to consider what you take to be your current limitations in a more open and free (limitless) mindset.  You can transform apparent limitations by changing your view.  For instance, rather than consider how onerous a particular condition is (not having any money, for example) you might consider how your current circumstances actually benefit you, teach you what you need to learn, etc.

Cultivating a free and easy attitude -- and even, dare I say it, gratitude -- toward apparent limitations can help make them seem less limiting and more easily changed.

Just my two cents,

Liminal

Examples relevant to the time are things like the Wright Brothers with their airplane and Helen Keller, who was blind, deaf and dumb, wanting to speak. Also Andrew Carnegie, who focused on steel.

65650b7b48c4dacdc2669b82a45eb48d.jpg

bruce.png

• Like 1

You say you want a life of no limitations.  No limitations. OK. That is a noble goal.

There are 5 spheres of life.

1) Mental

2) Spiritual

3) Physical

4) Financial

5) Relationships.

Priorities are important.  In your heart of hearts, which sphere do you feel like you need to work on most?  Which sphere is most important to you?  They may not be the same, of course.

4, 5 and 3, in that order of importance.

Edited by DreamBliss

If you had no limitations, what would you want to do with that freedom? I think that's the real question. You want no limitations for a reason, not in and of itself, despite how nice that sounds. Having no limitations is simply a means to an end. What is the "end" that underlies it?

Also, money helps remove tons of limitations. But "doing what it takes" removes all limitations.

I do not understand it entirely, but I'm not supposed to talk about the object of my Definite Chief Aim. That is why I removed some parts of my first post.

But in short, I want a life that is the polar opposite of everything I find currently undesirable.

I want to be wealthy and spiritual, not poor and spiritual or wealthy and material. I want to be surrounded by friends and loved ones, to have someone to share my life with, not have few friends and nobody to share my life with. I want to succeed more than I fail, instead of fail more than I succeed. If there is someplace I want to go, I want to be able to go there, at the drop of the hat, in exactly the way I wish to.

On a smaller scale... I want to replace my current bicycle with something better suited to my frame and needs. I want to replace my current camera with something that has more advanced features. I want everything I need to make sleeping in my hammock comfortable and as bug-free as possible. I want plenty of money for equipment and foot and to stay anywhere I like.

I want all of this easily, not by the sweat of my brow. I want working hard for something to be optional, not required, in the manifestation of my desires. Right now I feel surrounded by limitations, by things I desire which are missing, and I want the opposite of this experience.

That give you a better idea as to my goal?

Edited by DreamBliss

65650b7b48c4dacdc2669b82a45eb48d.jpg

bruce.png

Thank you for sharing this! I had no idea that Bruce Lee was also a student of Napoleon Hill. I have heard about him, the things he could do in his martial arts practice. Something went wrong, because both he and his son Brandon died tragically, I think both during filming. But Mr. Lee definitely left a legacy that is still remembered today. I think I should add him to the biographies to read. It sounds like he wanted much of the same things I wanted.

Thank you again!

• Like 1

You can only achieve what you believe you can achieve, but it is not sufficient to only hold a goal in mind. This is always an issue for those who believe in things like the law of attraction. The only way to run a four minute mile is to start the training to do it. Dreaming or wishing is next to useless.

The first thing that you should ask is "what's stopping you". What must you overcome. If you believe having money is no good, then you won't have money.

We have to work with the limitations we have; a life without challenges is simply no fun.

I admit I must be an anomaly in the human race because I have never understood this. Coming from my former video game playing days, games were getting harder and harder, and I was, as far as I know, the only one speaking out against it. I mad it clear that I do not play video games to work. If I have to work at beating a video game, I am no longer having fun. There is certainly the payoff and relief when a particularly hard boss or part is beaten. But I could never describe that experience as fun.

The same thing, for me at least, applies to life. I don't want a life of challenges. That makes the process of living more like work and less like fun! I want life to be easy, I want to have things handed to be on a silver platter. Others call me lazy or entitled. It hurts. A neighbor lady I work for tells me I don't follow through or pay attention to details. Family members say I am lazy.

But who is qualified to criticize or judge another human? Who can say with any authority that clawing and fighting your way through life, like a bunch of rats in the bottom of a well, clawing their way to the top, is any better that realizing the futility and stupidity of it all and looking for another way?

I want to enjoy my life, and as far as I am concerned, the easier my life is, the more enjoyable it is. I know a lot of people, maybe every other member of the human race, loves to fight their way through each day, whether on the rat race in the big city or to survive off the grid somewhere.

But my ideal life is this... Picture all the desirable aspects of Atrus's life in the Myst series. Able to build things and experiment, able to create and travel to other worlds. That is what I see in my mind's eye, all the parts of Atrus's life I loved from the books and the games.

Translated to "real world" terms, I am living on my own large piece of land, with my own house that I designed and built myself, a large house, built into a cliff or something, blended in with the natural terrain. I have a shop for my experiments, maybe a greenhouse or hydroponics garden. I am far enough from civilization that the lights don't pollute the sky at night, so I can see the stars. Yet I have the means to travel to town and get anything I want. Maybe a plane or helicopter.

Each day I can get up and do whatever the hell I want, with no fear of not having enough of something. I have a huge bank account and enough residual incoming going in from writing or selling patents or whatever to keep the balance about the same, maybe even increase it little by little. I have my own library, I have a theater where I can watch movies, I have an observatory with a telescope, computers, electricity - every modern convenience.

In this vision of the ideal life I only have to work hard when I choose to and if I choose to. There are no consequences if I do not. I am enjoying my life, the world around me, the things I do. Any challenges that come are not nearly insurmountable obstacles between myself and something I desire. Maybe there is just enough challenge that it requires me to think things through or put in a little effort. But I don't have to feel trapped or kill myself off.

This whole mindset of 99% of humanity that you have to earn things, work hard at them, beat down challenges - hell - watch an action movie sometime! Fun to watch, sure, but be honest, would you want to be in the heroe's shoes? Hell no! All that stress, for what, a bigger cubicle? Or one with a view? A big house on a lot with a 3' wide strip of grass out back? A small sweatbox of an apartment in New York? Do you think the people in these positions are honestly enjoying life, even if they say they are? And the other end of it, living off the grid in a cave or a trapper's cabin somewhere, no thanks!

So I appreciate what you have offered with that sentence, but I do not accept your gift. I will leave it where you left it. I know what I want, and that is not it!

Edited by DreamBliss

You are so self-honest!  I love it.

My thoughts:  to focus on money is to imprison oneself in a limited way.  I say, let it flow.  

You don't know what you don't know.  I wouldn't assume that the things that require money are the things that are going to make you the least restricted.

Follow the serendipity.  Try making no assumptions about anything.  Nothing is as it appears.  Seems to me like trying to define a chief aim is limiting, too.

Very best of wishes to you!  Can't wait to see what you get into!

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

You can choose whatever you want, but don't expect reality to play ball with your whims and wishes. Instead it will punch you repeatedly until you sober up and get busy living.

I used to get paid to set goals for people and to create vision statements so I'm very aware of what happens.

Whilst it's useful to plan, it is useless not to act. To look for something for nothing is to engage in fatuous wishfullness. It is to plan, but fail to work the plan. To sit in a chair wishing a cup of tea would arrive, is to ignore the reality that you will either need to get up and make one, or get someone to make one for you. Both require effort or the tea will remain absent.

Life is hard, you won't make it easier by wishing it away.

"Get busy living or get busy dying" shawshank redemption. No one can decide that for you.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 3

Psychologically speaking you are just jealous of others.

You can't see what you can't see.

Edited by Junko

Thank you for sharing this! I had no idea that Bruce Lee was also a student of Napoleon Hill. I have heard about him, the things he could do in his martial arts practice. Something went wrong, because both he and his son Brandon died tragically, I think both during filming. But Mr. Lee definitely left a legacy that is still remembered today. I think I should add him to the biographies to read. It sounds like he wanted much of the same things I wanted.

Thank you again!

He was a Sagittarius too. We Sagis like to set our goals high. ;)

Good idea to read Bruce's biography. I read it in my late teenage years and found it quite inspiring.

• Like 1

I admit I must be an anomaly in the human race because I have never understood this. Coming from my former video game playing days, games were getting harder and harder, and I was, as far as I know, the only one speaking out against it. I mad it clear that I do not play video games to work. If I have to work at beating a video game, I am no longer having fun. There is certainly the payoff and relief when a particularly hard boss or part is beaten. But I could never describe that experience as fun.

The same thing, for me at least, applies to life. I don't want a life of challenges. That makes the process of living more like work and less like fun! I want life to be easy, I want to have things handed to be on a silver platter. Others call me lazy or entitled. It hurts. A neighbor lady I work for tells me I don't follow through or pay attention to details. Family members say I am lazy.

But who is qualified to criticize or judge another human? Who can say with any authority that clawing and fighting your way through life, like a bunch of rats in the bottom of a well, clawing their way to the top, is any better that realizing the futility and stupidity of it all and looking for another way?

I want to enjoy my life, and as far as I am concerned, the easier my life is, the more enjoyable it is. I know a lot of people, maybe every other member of the human race, loves to fight their way through each day, whether on the rat race in the big city or to survive off the grid somewhere.

But my ideal life is this... Picture all the desirable aspects of Atrus's life in the Myst series. Able to build things and experiment, able to create and travel to other worlds. That is what I see in my mind's eye, all the parts of Atrus's life I loved from the books and the games.

Translated to "real world" terms, I am living on my own large piece of land, with my own house that I designed and built myself, a large house, built into a cliff or something, blended in with the natural terrain. I have a shop for my experiments, maybe a greenhouse or hydroponics garden. I am far enough from civilization that the lights don't pollute the sky at night, so I can see the stars. Yet I have the means to travel to town and get anything I want. Maybe a plane or helicopter.

Each day I can get up and do whatever the hell I want, with no fear of not having enough of something. I have a huge bank account and enough residual incoming going in from writing or selling patents or whatever to keep the balance about the same, maybe even increase it little by little. I have my own library, I have a theater where I can watch movies, I have an observatory with a telescope, computers, electricity - every modern convenience.

In this vision of the ideal life I only have to work hard when I choose to and if I choose to. There are no consequences if I do not. I am enjoying my life, the world around me, the things I do. Any challenges that come are not nearly insurmountable obstacles between myself and something I desire. Maybe there is just enough challenge that it requires me to think things through or put in a little effort. But I don't have to feel trapped or kill myself off.

This whole mindset of 99% of humanity that you have to earn things, work hard at them, beat down challenges - hell - watch an action movie sometime! Fun to watch, sure, but be honest, would you want to be in the heroe's shoes? Hell no! All that stress, for what, a bigger cubicle? Or one with a view? A big house on a lot with a 3' wide strip of grass out back? A small sweatbox of an apartment in New York? Do you think the people in these positions are honestly enjoying life, even if they say they are? And the other end of it, living off the grid in a cave or a trapper's cabin somewhere, no thanks!

So I appreciate what you have offered with that sentence, but I do not accept your gift. I will leave it where you left it. I know what I want, and that is not it!

Visualizing things is a great first step. Then let it go and let the Universe take you in that direction. But what if the Universe wants you to do something for achieving your dreams? In my experience, sometimes, you have to spend some energy to get what you wish. Bruce Lee gave his goals a lot of energy! I doubt that he would have thought of it as effort though, he did what he liked to do until he was so good at it that people were offering him a lot of money for doing it. So mayhaps you should simply ask yourself what you really want to do in life, go for it, and stick with it.

Here is an affirmation that might help:

I do what I enjoy, and I enjoy everything I do.

• Like 1

You should not compare with human to animal.Rats are rats.Human is human!

I've been trying to get that across for quite some time with minimal effect. So, playing devils advocate :-) what is your supporting argument for that assertion ?

I want all of this easily, not by the sweat of my brow. I want working hard for something to be optional, not required, in the manifestation of my desires.

Dreaming, without doing anything about it, is not how manifestation works. But this is just my opinion...you can try it your way and see what happens.

• Like 1