Sign in to follow this  
Mal

Fast-5

Hi upfromtheashes :),

The thyroid is a pretty interesting organ from an esoteric point of view - it relates to the astral body, which is opening up to allow us to evolve in consciousness, so the thyroid is very commonly under stress.

To support the thryoid, there are approaches on different levels - on the level of nutrition, you want to avoid stimulants - sugar, processed foods (they mostly all have harmful sugars and hidden MSG), caffeine, alcohol, and table salt (use Himalayan crystal salt or Celtic salt).

Avoid soy like the plague :). Avoid fluoride in water and toothpaste. Avoid exposure to heavy metals (vaccinations, mercury dental fillings, etc.). Make sure you get iodine in the diet, not from iodized salt.

On the emotional/spiritual level, the thyroid is about expressing yourself, giving voice to your truth. No wonder that fluoride, which inhibits the thyroid, is known to make people passive.

-Karen

Hi upfromtheashes :),

The thyroid is a pretty interesting organ from an esoteric point of view - it relates to the astral body, which is opening up to allow us to evolve in consciousness, so the thyroid is very commonly under stress.

To support the thryoid, there are approaches on different levels - on the level of nutrition, you want to avoid stimulants - sugar, processed foods (they mostly all have harmful sugars and hidden MSG), caffeine, alcohol, and table salt (use Himalayan crystal salt or Celtic salt).

Avoid soy like the plague :). Avoid fluoride in water and toothpaste. Avoid exposure to heavy metals (vaccinations, mercury dental fillings, etc.). Make sure you get iodine in the diet, not from iodized salt.

On the emotional/spiritual level, the thyroid is about expressing yourself, giving voice to your truth. No wonder that fluoride, which inhibits the thyroid, is known to make people passive.

-Karen

Hey Karen

Thanks

What do you think about seaweed ?

It is very high in fluoride but extremely high in iodine

It

Seaweeds are generally good for all blood types and body types, although dulse and wakame not so good for adrenal types. The naturally occurring fluoride as in seaweeds and green tea, is completely different from the toxic sodium fluoride compound used to fluoridate water and for dental applications. Sodium fluoride is an industrial waste product.

And with foods grown naturally, there are so many synergistic nutrients that compensate for each other - otherwise we wouldn't be able to eat anything if we looked at each individual chemical constituent of foods and saw that this or that chemical was carcinogenic or toxic in some way! - especially with vegetables and herbs.

-Karen

Wanted to BTT this thread as I've been following a warrior diet / fast 5 style eating plan since November.

Cool Stuff.

Have gone down 2 pants sizes and one shirt size :D

Not hungry or feeling like I'm depriving myself, like I usually do when attempting to loose weight with a diet so this is not difficult to stick with once you get use to it (around a month)

Can still eat a sizable amount of chocolate B)

Recent doctors checkup has revealed that I continue to get excellent blood results and my blood pressure is still good, no apparent ill effects to health.

Eating nothing all day and then exercising really hard is not an issue. Have scuba dived in rough weather (actually would have been nice to have something to throw up) a few hours of kung fu in the morning followed by 1/2 day yoga workshops. No issues, although I prefer to have a banana or piece of fruit before training in the afternoon. Just don't go past the 18~19 hours without food as that seems to give a headache and loss of energy.

Saves a bit of money not buying crappy takeaways during the day.

Calories / KJ seem pointless. I know that is how much energy is in food if you burn it, but it must be more complex than that. I can eat a lot of junk food with a pile of kj's and still feel hungry, where as a much smaller KJ amount of "real" food will satisfy hunger and I won't feel as hungry as early the next day.

Stuff

I basically drink tea throughout the day at work, then start eating a few pieces of fruit after lunchtime if I feel like it. The feasting :D takes place after training starting around 7~9 pm

On weekends I often don't eat anything except for the main meals at night.

Drink as much water as often as you can. If you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated, pee should be clear.

Interesting stuff

While you shouldn't weight yourself too often, Ive found that by weighing myself several times a day weight fluctuations of 2 kg are not unusual, sometimes even 3kg.

Tricky stuff

I'm still around the same weight, have just increased muscle mass, especially upper body

Weekends are tricky as it's easy to want to eat rubbish when I'm at home and not actually hungry. I can tell I'm not hungry as I won't want fruit just junk food. Much easier when at work as it's a much more regimented time frame and if I feel hungry it's really easy to distract myself by doing some work.

Weight is still yo-yo-ing.

reasons for this :-

If I stick strictly to the diet I will loose ~1kg a week.

If I take one day off a week no weight loss.

eg. I might eat for longer than 5 hours (Usually by having a big meal, a break, then more food at the end of the 5 hour window and extending the eating time)

or just eat lunch (sometime I still do that to "fit in" socially)

If I take 2 days off IN A ROW I will put on at least 2kg. Given that my weight can fluctuate up to 3 kg depending on the time of day this can result in a rather scary 5kg weight gain depending on the time.

n.b. I'm 5'10" currently 109 kg 90kg would be about as low as I would want to safely go even though BMI would still classify that as overweight.

right now i am on Day 3 of just one meal at night after the sun goes down. Fasting (Sufi style).

Works great.

Best wishes Mal,

Santi

I'm intrigued by the idea of fasting, mostly as a method to detox and help me with more lengthy meditation sessions down the road. I've always had a very fast metabolism (I can recall many a 6000 calorie day back in high school during sports seasons) and I'm ravenous from the moment I wake up.

It kinda makes me not know where to start...if I'm up for more than a couple hours without eating I usually will get a headache and a bit ornery...

Hi I know this is an old thread but I googled fast 5 and this came up. Isn't anyone doing this anymore? I am enjoying this diet. I like the discipline and simplicity of it. I feel that it is good for the body and soul to rediscover hunger.This is actually easier for me than forcing myself to follow someone else's diet dogma. Weighing portions, counting calorie or carbs or fiber etc.I think that kind of dieting became an obsession. I was always thinking about food. The fast 5 way, I get hungry, look at the clock, and reassure myself that dinner is coming up soon.My break fast is very important and I plan it well ahead. It is usually something simple and satisfying , like oatmeal or eggs. I have my break fast at 4:00 in the afternoon and my main meal at 6:30 or 7:00. The first three days were hard but after that my body seemed to fall into the routine and my mind relaxed.

I still get hungry at 3:30 but I look forward to my meal. Appetite is the best spice...I've been on the diet two weeks and have lost about 7 lbs. But I have alot to lose and the truly overweight experience faster weightloss than those with only ten lbs to lose.

It is easier to fast when you are busy. The day takes care of itself. One caveat though... do not drink alcohol before dinner, your tolerance will drop. I drink wine or port or a coffee drink as desert. A benefit has been that I am very regular.I feel that this will be how I eat forever.

Well I am :) since Nov 2008 or so, didn't realize this thread predated that by so much. Stable weight, enjoy the lifestyle.

Today I was up at 6:45am when for a walk up a hill and into the bush near my house. Did long form Tai Chi x2 and walked back home, 1h30m, to do some chi gungs. Had fun at home and a little afternoon nap (only got 5 hrs sleep the night before) then motorbiked to a hill overlooking the beach for 1h30m of Kung Fu in the afternoon with my friend. Plenty of energy, only drinking water. I don't normally exercise quite that much, just enjoying the public holiday.

After dark my dinner was a few bowls of slow cooked beef and vege vindaloo curry (mild) with wild and brown rice. I toss it into the slowcooker throughout the day, and I have a multi vitamin. Since it was football on TV night I relaxed and also had 2 bottles of beer :D (and some easter eggs :o we get our eggs early in my family)

I do tend to eat fruit during weekdays at work and drink green tea. I just perform a bit better mentally doing that (I'm desk bound at a computer) and I tend not to eat much fruit during my evening meal. Weekends are more classic fast five, like today.

Sign in to follow this