wilfred

the thought police move in on twitter (literally)

I shouldn't be shocked by this, but somehow I am...

thoughtcrime.jpeg

Edited by Aeran
  • Like 2

Sadly, this is nothing new.  The thought police have always been with us.

I wouldn't be surprised if I one day get a visit for being an Anarchist.

I can see 2 ways of looking at this.

"If it doesn't pass the THINK test you may be breaking the law."

Well, yeah.... if 'I' stands for 'illegal', and a post/tweet doesn't pass the THINK test.... it might be that your post was illegal. Assuming one believes in the law, one should not be opposed to the law being upheld on the WWW as much as in the 'real world'.

The laws of Canada and UK don't actually promise freedom of speech as absolute.

"Limits on speech were incorporated in the criminal code in relation to treason, sedition, blasphemous and defamatory libel, disruption of religious worship, hate propaganda, spreading false news, public mischief, obscenity, indecency and other forms."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_in_Canada#Associations_and_controls

So calling them "thought police" is kind of nonsense. If you write something, express it publicly, it's no longer just a thought -- it's speech. If it breaks a law limiting freedom of speech, it's illegal.

On the other hand, I am not a huge fan of most laws or police forces, and I think people should be able to say whatever they want unless it's clearly going to harm someone else. And even then, I don't think the punishments should be particularly harsh. Current laws on freedom of speech are not great. And when it comes to online abuse, victims are treated a little softly as far as I can tell.

I mean, if you're on a website and people are telling you horrible things and suggesting suicide, you stop going on the website. Pretty simple. If you keep checking the website, and eventually kill yourself, you've got to take some of the blame.

And all that stuff above...

blasphemous and defamatory libel, disruption of religious worship, hate propaganda, spreading false news, public mischief, obscenity, indecency...

In other words: saying things against religion, saying 'nasty' things, lying, being naughty, saying rude words... this is against the law?? So 'freedom of speech' is protected as long as nobody says anything bad about anyone or uses any non-PC words or phrases?

:huh:

Edited by dustybeijing

Sadly, this is nothing new.  The thought police have always been with us.

I wouldn't be surprised if I one day get a visit for being an Anarchist.

I shall await the MH version of Waco on the box.

I shall await the MH version of Waco on the box.

That would be a very long wait.  I'm not the type who would form an establishment in order to protest.  I mean, Hey!, Anarchists are anti-establishment.

The "thought police" actually run the schools and media.

They designed most homes.

They designed most municipalities.

They designed an entire fake "culture".

Because modern "civilization" is a calculated fantasy.

And modern "progress" is a calculated fantasy.

And the bigger the lie, the more work to make it seem true.

The little thought polices are there to help make the big ones less visible.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

Remarking that twitter has too many thought police is like remarking that a toilet has too much excrement in it.

Do you really expect quality discourse from social media? It's about as bottom of the barrel as you can get, especially if you're unfortunate enough to journey into social justice or political discussions.