VeeCee

An Observation

I find it interesting that many newer members (those of us who have been around less than 6 months) come on to the forum and then have a hissy fit because it turns out to not be what we thought it would be. A forum is what it's members make it, and those members who have been here for a while have learned to survive the bickering and goofing around. Maybe they know something we don't? Just a thought...

When we think we know something, it could be a problem.

I think that's true both ways. Those of us who come here bring our pre-conceptions of what the forum "should be". When it doesn't turn out as expected, we tend to lash out at the other members rather than looking at ourselves.

It's all a big cycle, subjects come up then die out, people come and go. Been hanging out around here for a year or so now and have seen several cycles come and go. TB is kind of like the weather, if you don't like it today, hang around for tomorrow it might be different.

TB is kind of like the weather, if you don't like it today, hang around for tomorrow it might be different.

True - I've seen that in the short time I've been here. I suppose all the cycling also has something to do with new people coming in, and either working out "their stuff" or moving on. I know there has been a recent wave of newbies, so maybe that explains all the turbulence.

True - I've seen that in the short time I've been here. I suppose all the cycling also has something to do with new people coming in, and either working out "their stuff" or moving on. I know there has been a recent wave of newbies, so maybe that explains all the turbulence.

I came for the kunlun information, but Im very glad to have discovered this forum with so many great contributers, and so many interesting threads. There is some turbulence and joking around, but I think this forum is one of the most serious and informational forums Ive seen.

I was just glad to find this forum wonderfully active and spirited :) Lots of good info here - I just came to learn!

Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi:

"Avoid desire and aversion. Do not engage the mind much in the affairs of the world. As far as possible do not get entangled in the affairs of others.

Giving to others is really gving to oneself. If one knows this truth would one ever remain without giving?

If ego rises all will rise. If the ego merges all will merge.The more we are humble the better for us"

Thank you Bhagavan

I have found the posters on this board to be a bit long winded at times, and the subject frequently ventures far off the original subject.

But I do not look at this as a bad thing :D !

As far as the ranting and raving, well that happens on every board.

Edited by Bum Grasshopper

"Avoid desire and aversion. Do not engage the mind much in the affairs of the world. As far as possible do not get entangled in the affairs of others."

Thank you for the thought, Mat. I tend to get caught up too easily in "the affairs of others". :)

Valuable observation and thread, VeeCee. I joined a few months ago, found the forum to be not at all what I expected. At times I felt annoyed, at times almost betrayed and disappointed - isn't that crazy? I hung around anyway and eventually my point of view shifted a bit away from the forum and more toward myself. You're absolutely right VeeCee, when I look at this as a reflection of me, and not "them," it's wonderful. It brings a new light to the whole thing and I find the forum to be very valuable. There are things I take, things I leave, and every now and then - a precious pearl.

Mat had some nice thoughts on another thread that I thought are appropriate here.

here's my take on this forum thing.

You never know who might contribute or what you might read. It may or may not be of interest, so i just

have a look at whats being discussed.

I open the site, have a look - sometimes for a minute, sometimes longer, even sometimes post something if i feel moved.

Other than that, i don't take it too seriously.

Any thing that annoys us on this forum, is just reflecting something in ourselves, anything that delights us on this forum is a reflection of a similar inner delight.

Thanks Vee Cee.

The reason i said that is that i think it's all really about 'us'. We read this site with our mind (with all of it's varying degrees of habits, conditioning and so forth). It's the conditioned mind that reacts, agrees, dislikes, prefers and even argues.

Master Hsuan Hua said "to have vision and yet be without views is happiness indeed"

an old Chinese proverb says: "no one can offend you without your consent"

Zen Master Sosan:

"when the mind exists undisturbed in the way

nothing in the world can offend.

and when a thing can no longer offend

it ceases to exist in the same way"

this then puts the responsibility on us.

This isn't directed at anyone, just my experience:

It can sort of feel wierd at first, but when we choose not to react to something that would usually annoy us, we can then encompass the other side of the duality.

Allowing them both to exist can create an amazing space within us.

(this also helps when reading the paper, or watching the news too, :D )

it just feels like such a better way to be in the world.

when i look back years ago, at how opinionated i was about some things, i have to laugh. to invest in opinions and views is the fastest way to grow old haha

Edited by mat black

when i look back years ago, at how opinionated i was about some things, i have to laugh. to invest in opinions and views is the fastest way to grow old haha

The way to end all suffering is simply to cut off our views.

True freedom indeed.

Peace,

Lin

Mat's post put me in mind of Zhuangzi's parable of the empty boat.

We are floating on a lake in a boat, quiet, peaceful, undisturbed. If another boat happens to bump into ours and it is empty, we continue to float along peacefully. If we happen to look up on impact and see another person in the boat we tend to get angry and react, as if attacked. It's our challenge to try and remain empty so that if we bump into another, they are not offended. Also, to see others as empty and not feel offended when they bump into us.

Emptiness may not be the best word yet evokes the proper sensibility, I think.

Was traveling this weekend with my boss, who is about 8 year younger than me and very reactionary. I noticed how I just don't get as upset about "things" anymore. Possibly the age difference, possibly the meditation - probably both.

Edited by VeeCee

I guess I'm one of the newbies ^_^;

I love this forum, I wish there were more threads about philosophical taoism and people interested in it, but there are enough to keep me coming back. I love the activity level and number of people on this forum, active enough to keep you interested on a daily basis, but not so active that you feel like you're drowning in threads that you couldn't possibly find the time to read.

I love this forum, I wish there were more threads about philosophical taoism and people interested in it, but there are enough to keep me coming back.

Actually, there are a few of us whose main interest is philosophical taoism, but it doesn't show up very frequently as a topic of discussion.

Was traveling this weekend with my boss, who is about 8 year younger than me and very reactionary. I noticed how I just don't get as upset about "things" anymore. Possibly the age difference, possibly the meditation - probably both.

Nice!

and letting them be just 'things' without holding onto them in our mind keeps us free all the time. :)

Edited by mat black

I've decided that you are all full of crap!

Which led me to a profound understanding:

When one is full of crap,

one has been well fed.

Lot's of interesting and eclectic stuff to feed the brain with here.

Yet, some diets are more healthy than others.

We all have our own tastes.

Eat up!

Love you all,