Sign in to follow this  
oddsox

Daoist white belt

Good morning,
It's not morning here, but I like to open letters this way. I guess my journey started shortly after I started training in the martial arts while still in college. One of the black belt instructors was also into Yoga, and occasionally would spend an entire class on how to meditate/breathe.  She taught us how to not only sit quietly for a few minutes during meditation, but to breathe from our hara and  "empty our cups" before and after class.   My first art was Isshinryu Karate, and my dojo had a "library," where I read everything. I read technique books on karate, aiki, & kung fu, which led me to taking a Tai Chi course. As I found myself drawn to the more philosophical books in the library, like Zen in the Martial Arts, I decided to take a course in Eastern Philosophy. Two of the books we studied were Tao Te Ching and The Way of Chuang Tzu.  

It was during a conversation with my  professor he said, "You know, you're very Taoist in how you approach life..."  or something similar.    Ever since, if any one asked what I was, my reply was Taoist.  Although, besides martial arts, and occasional mediation, I've always felt I was kind of lying.  Not sure reading Tao of Pooh and one class makes one a Taoist. :blush:

ANYWAY...  That was over 20 years ago and for many years I connected meditation and my life philosophy with my martial arts study.   BUT I'm older and have moved and I'm saddened that most martial arts schools now, are not non-profits.  They do not promote meditation, some even forbid it, for fear it hurts the practitioners’ religious beliefs.  It seems all the things I loved about the martial arts have been stripped.  Missing are not only the altars, and seated meditation before and after class, but instead there is more emphasis on external than internal strength, no balance in my opinion.  One of the last schools I attended, I stopped the instructor to explain, "You do realize what you are teaching is illegal?  You cannot just keep pummeling someone, just because he swung at you at once."  I was taught the real way to win a fight was by avoiding it, or at least leaving as soon as possible, not... Sorry, I'm digressing.

I'm here because, I've given up on finding a martial arts school, or like minded people in those schools and meetup groups, but I would still like to practice meditation, or rather I need to begin practicing again, and get more in touch with the things I believe in and possibly learn more about meditation and whatever the Taoist version of chakra meditation would be.  I apologize my knowledge is sporadic/incorrect and pulls from Yoga, Zen and half a dozen martial arts (Chinese, Japanese and even a slight dabble in Indonesians arts).   Although, I do miss the physical aspect, my now, ahem, over 40 body, may be happy (got pretty banged up in my last attempted at Aikido).   :P  

I feel like a white belt Taoist, or Daoist?  I have worn white many times and don't mind,  but hope here in The Dao Bums I can at least learn how to put on my gi, so to speak.

I kind of like what bbdoll in her first post so I'm going to pilfer, although these change almost daily.
Favorite movie:  Paul (with Simon Pegg)
Favorite song:   Well You Needn't (Thelonious Monk) tied with Where is my Mind (Pixies)
Favorite book:  Kill Baxter by Charlie Human

Sorry so long & thank you for reading,
Oddsox

• Like 4

Hello Oddsox, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Oddsox,

Yep.  That is an introduction.  You done good.  I'm sure you will find many members you can speak with regarding your interests.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 2

Hi odd sox,

Excellent intro,you have experience,well done in joining.

Nothing stopping you from starting meditation again,just practice.

Seems you have found like minded with db,blessings to you.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the welcome. 

Marblehead, Sorry I should have edited, I didn't realize I went on a bit of a rant.  :P   I'll try to at least wait until someone asks for my opinion next time.   I've been Googling stuff on Taoism & mediation and even a couple non-related topics and Dao Bums' threads kept coming up in my results.  I learned a lot before I even joining.

Earl Grey,  I've actually read a few of your posts and your one of the reasons I joined.  Funny, the last place I almost called my home dojo was in a sketchy part of town, and it had no A/C or heat, AND no running water.  Yes, we went to the building next door to use the bathroom.  The instructor was great, but especially with aikido, one or two bad students and it just got dangerous for me.  I was hoping I might out last them, but I was getting too banged up.  heheh  You give me hope, I'll start looking again.

AussieTrees, first cool name, second,  ditto what I said about Earl Grey to you too.  I think the only person I thought was little off, is now listed as banned. 

cheers,

Oddsox

• Like 4

Hi oddsox, actually I enjoyed reading your intro. It's good to rant it out, shares the thoughts of where you are now. I have had a similar upbringing. I was a Dan grade in my twenties with Shotokan karate, and yes my teacher wasn't teaching internal arts but he had a soft approach to what is a quite a "hard" style art; his approach has def. stayed with me as I have encroached upon other disciplines. I have two recc. for you. 1st. Dr. Stephen T. Chang has written brilliantly on Taoism and creating your own practice from his books. I am a practitioner under him and can highly recommend his work. It can be applied to any other practice that is being studied Tai Chi, Martial arts etc. as well. The exercises are Nei Gong (Internal Training). The ideal being that Nei Gong supports the Qi Gong (External Training) which may be anything you apply your body to externally. From calligraphy to martial arts, or housework to gardening, anything that moves the body externally needs internal support. Although I see from your post you seem to have got that anyway. 2nd Do seek out the more softer arts, I don't know where you are based but there are some excellent internal/external martial arts teachers out there that use the Tao as their base line. Zhan Zhuang, Bagua, Xing Yi are all good examples.

All the best on your journey

www.northstarmeditation.co.uk

Edited by Mo Tzu
  • Like 3

Mo Tzu, thanks so much.

I'm currently in Pasadena, which is predominently BJJ & Ed Parker kempo town. Nothing wrong with those syles, just don't for me. :) heheh I'm sure there are places around, but like Earl Grey said, they are probably less commercial and harder to find. I'll definately be checking out Dr. Chang's books. They sound perfect, since I guess you could say for now, I'm working on beginner Taoist piano playing, heheh. I think Thelonious Monk might have been a secret Taoist. ;P

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this