Sign in to follow this  
mattdelaby

hey

To Anyone Listening,

I'm a second year college student from California, and never have belonged to any kind of church.  I remember hearing about Taoism in grade school and feeling like it clicked with me,  but I also felt that I would have been ignorant to declare something like that at such a young age, especially with a lineage full of Christians.  However, Taoism came up in two of my History classes this past quarter and that interest is still alive (and jogged my memory about grade school).  

Now that I feel competent enough to make decisions regarding the way I live the rest of my life, I have done a lot of research and feel that this is for me, but there are no people who feel the same way around me. I am confused about some parts though (and will definitely have deeper questions as I continue to research), I need someone to correct me if I'm wrong.

1. I am and always will be a man of science, and Taoists believe that the way of the universe can not be described, but can be understood, so does that mean all Taoists believe in the Big Bang Theory and Evolution?  

2.  Taoists do not believe in an after life, but The Tao Te Ching references Heaven sometimes.  I kind of understand how heaven is represented on Earth, but really need someone to connect the dots for me there, and like I said there's nobody who could help me face to face.  I have always believed that death feels the same way as before life, and it was interesting to see someone else put that into writing.

3.  Tao and The Way are the same thing? But Chi flows through everything and helps each individual find their own way?  And to be one with Chi we meditate in nature?  I feel like I'm close to understanding these concepts, but not quite there. (or maybe way the hell off, but I need someone to tell me)

Im sorry if any of my questions are so simple they offend you, but I am just now beginning, and through the research I've done so far, It seems like Taoism puts the way I've always thought to myself into words, and a way of life.

• Like 2

Hello mattdelaby, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Matt,

Yeah, it seems you have a pretty good handle on the beginnings of Daoism.

Good questions but I will wait and allow others to speak to them before I consider doing so.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

Trying to grasp the Tao through intellectual strivings is quite fruitless. Practice is more effective. Welcome to TTB. 

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 3

Be patient.  Hehehe.

Not a lot of members read the introduction posts so it might be a good idea to start a thread or revive an older thread that will speak directly to your answers.

Short answers though:

1.  No, not all believe in the Big Bang.  (Personally, I do.)  Remember that Taoism includes beliefs of various religions and they all have their creation myths.

2.  Heaven can be viewed as the rest of the universe excluding Earth.  Again, some who hold to Taoist beliefs also hold to other beliefs as well.  But the Tao Te Ching does not directly speak of life after death although some Taoists do hold to life after death in some form.

3.  Yes, I hold to the concept that Tao and Way are basically the same thing.  I view Chi in two aspects, universal Chi and individual Chi.  Both are energy.  IMO Yin and Yang are the polarities of this energy.

I hope that gets you started.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this