Wells

Secret history of the world: Saint Petersburg

I only watched 10 or so minutes, but it seems like it compares the best of the old world against the worst of modern times.  If they actually compared apples to apples; the best modern architecture and art against the best there it'd be a different story.  Especially if you compared tech and everyday conveniences.  

Also I'd prefer a closer look at those 'untrained' artists hired for big bucks that produced the masterpieces.  I'm guessing in order to get hired they might be a bit more trained then the reader suggests. 

I wonder if the writer ever walked through a modern art mueseum and talked to curators.  Maybe many of her questions would be quickly answered by professional who studied the history of art, the answers are readily available or she could google them.

I grew with access to the Art Institute in Chicago, a fantastic world class art mueseum and when you go on a curated tour, you learn the history of the main pieces.   The schools and lineages of the artists as well as the influences, artistic, commercial and personal behind the individual works.   The woman could learn so much and have her questions answered by talking to an expert who's studied art. 

While undoubtedly she'd get the usual internet trolls, if she opened up discussion on the youtube channel she'd also get people answering the questions she thinks are mysterious.

<add on> Listened to a little more.  She is really dissing modern artists. There are many excellent ones producing mind blowing work.  Saying no one can reproduce this and this and this, is simply not true.  You have people doing amazing work, photo like work with pencils, pens, very simple instruments.

Its a luddite mindset, everything old has to be good and nothing modern can be.  Not true.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

The rulers of Russia for a long time concealed the fact that before the founding of St. Petersburg in these places was a city Nien, the capital of Ingria. To dismiss the lie that there were some swamp. This monstrous crime.

• Like 1

It never fails to amaze how some people can put two and two together and come up with the most fantastical result.

In no way awesome and not in the least exciting - just some Russian New Age rubbish.

For those with eyes to see and ears to hear with there is so much wonder in the world. Why do we have to come up with fantastical and ridiculous explanations?

As the narrator says. "Make your own conclusions."

Edited by Chang
  • Like 1