Sign in to follow this  
Ervin

Are there any teachings in religious Daoism on some sort of the Devil?

Hi, I am kind of slowly getting the picture of the Dao. However are there some sort of forces or force, like the Devil or Demiurge is in some other religions.

What about the after life? What happens to good and what happens to beings with strong egos?

Thanks

Hi Ervin,

You will get many different answers to your questions.

I won't say the Daoism is complicated but I will say that it is complex.  This is because of the different schools of thought regarding Daoism.

There are three main schools of Daoism:  Philosophic, Alchemic (including Shamanic), and Religious (normally linked with Buddhism).

I am a Philosophical Daoist.  Ain't no devil.  Ain't no after life.  Ain't no supernatural.  Ain't no supernatural powers.

Whatever effect you have in the universe is going to happen while you are in the body you are presently occupying.

If we are good we will be remembered for our goodness.  If we are bad, well, same thing.

Everyone dies, whether we have a weak ego or a strong ego.  But I will add here that we do need our ego.  However, it should be moderated so that others can feel comfortable when around us.

The only force I link with Daoism is Chi, the energy of the universe.  Yes, we can learn to use this energy more efficiently.

Daoism really is the Way of the universe.  The natural processes.  When we do things it is generally wise to follow the natural processes of doing that whatever.

I always have more answers if you have more questions.  (They will be my answers though.  You will get different answers from different people.  That's Daoism too.)

• Like 3

There are indeed many forms of Taoism. Some Taoists may believe in malicious spirits that may or may not have some physical form.

Philosophically, I would say most Taoists do not say it boils down to good vs evil, but wisdom vs ignorance. This is a very simplistic view and I am no scholar, but this is my take on it.

To me, Taoism is a inherently more anti-dogma than virtually all spiritual systems. As a result, I suggest to find out for yourself. The journey of inquiry and discovery is more fruitful than just reading about it.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this