manitou

may we call this Rigpa?

I wish I could say I spend several hours a day in meditation.  I do not.  I will spend maybe 20 minutes a day in meditation, over a period of 30 or so years.

I wish I could say I walk around in a state of constant gnowing, in Awareness.  I do not.  I get caught up in something that someone said or did, then realize later the metaphysical importance or reason for it.  I seem to be a few steps behind in my Awareness much of the time.

I do have those moments when bliss occurs, when all things come together as one.  They are short lived.  I have had the blissful experienced of tantric sex on several occasions; there are no words to describe that.  I wish that for everybody at least once; it is unforgettable.

I have meditated to the point where I got to the outer limits of 'something', some edge of the universe where there was a sudden awareness of the Aloneness of it all; where there was nobody but my presence out there; where ego dissipated and fell around me like a broken eggshell.  It was terrifying and I was afraid I couldn't get back.  I did, but very slowly.

But the thing that came to me in meditiation this morning in a lovely Florida park was the following:  that the closest I have ever been to understanding what we could maybe call the primordial brain, the reptilian brain, or perhaps Rigpa (my non-Buddhist understanding being 'innate awareness, the true nature of the individual', using the definition of Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche) was in one of the deepest depressions I had ever fallen into.  This happened several years ago, and my partner called an ambulance to take me to the hospital.  I was on my bed in a fetal position, crying so hard that no sound even came out any more; my eyes were swollen and some blood vessels had broken in my eyes; this went on for several hours.  My mouth was frozen in an open crying position, but again, no sound was capable of even coming out.

And yet, it was then and only then that I felt the presence of an Other of sorts.  It seemed to be located at the brain stem, the area toward the back of the throat.  It was a presence that clearly said to me 'you are choosing this, you know'.  It was a part of my brain that was not caught up in the depression of whatever it was I was so depressed about (can't remember now), but it was clearly not affected by the emotion.  It was emotionless and all-knowing.  And it saying what it said was partly comforting, and at the same time partly not what I wanted to hear.

Perhaps the ocean of rigpa.  Perhaps it was reached because the id or ego was totally demolished at that moment, nothing left to survive for.  But all I know was that it was real, and it was dwelling within.  The dweller.

• Like 11

first nana in vipassana tradition. Namarupa.  (just a guess, not expert)

http://www.vipassanadhura.com/sixteen.html

also use that knowledge as ground to reach or get second nana. So if you recognice it as a ground and use that for going further you can call it rigba.

Edited by allinone
  • Like 1

have no words for you, words become pretty useless,

but I do sent you a big bunch of love,

catch!

BES

Thank you, friend.  Caught it!  Okay now....incoming back atcha'

• Like 1

Rigpa does not dwell within nor without.Rigpa is something much simpler and natural then what you've described.

Rigpa does not dwell within nor without.Rigpa is something much simpler and natural then what you've described.

I do realize that rigpa is not an entity at all, but rather the true nature of the individual.  Whatever this was, it lacked emotion of any kind, and yet it was a Truth.  I knew instinctively that this voice was right, that my depression was of my own choice, that I had my own egoic reasons for being in the depression and staying there (although Western medicine tells me that I am clinically depressed and require medication); but i do realize how sub-standard and unrefined Western medicine is compared to the wisdom and experience of the Eastern traditions.

The book I am reading, 'The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep', by the aforementioned Rinpoche, defines rigpa fully as:  'Literally, "awareness" or "knowing".  In the Dzoghen teachings, rigpa means awareness of the truth, innate awareness, the true nature of the individual.'

It is from this perspective, the above definition, that the connect-up occurred in my mind, to that which happened some years ago.  My memory sprang immediately to that experience of hearing the voice of Knowing, and knowing that it was the voice of truth.  The thing that sticks with me the most is the lack of emotion contained in that part of me that clearly spoke to me.  As I said previously, it just felt like a Dweller; a wisdom within that was separate from my tremendously emotional self at that moment.  It Knew.  This is why the phenomenon seemed to match up with the definition.

I do understand that it is not literally an entity within.  That it is nowhere, as All is Awareness and interconnectedness, that all our Awareness combined is the same Awareness.  However, my Awareness was so clouded by the egoic wallowing of self-pity, I had strayed so far from my 'true nature', the contrast was so great - that I was given the opportunity (or rather, heard the opportunity) to see the difference between the two.  Between what was real and what was unreal.

If my understanding of rigpa is incorrect, please set me straight.  And if my understanding is wrong, then how strange that my memory so readily recognized and snapped to an occurrence years back, instantaneously recognizing it as I read it.

innate doesn't mean that its yours or belongs to you thus permanent, its more like means its old. Awareness is ability to make difference or discern. Innate is matter and awareness is mind. If then something makes sense to you and you can use it then you have knowledge. But that knowledge is still raw, it must be gotten second time.

• Like 1

innate doesn't mean that its yours or belongs to you thus permanent, its more like means its old. Awareness is ability to make difference or discern. Innate is matter and awareness is mind. If then something makes sense to you and you can use it then you have knowledge. But that knowledge is still raw, it must be gotten second time.

Yes, I see what you're saying now.  Without realizing it as part of the Dzoghen path, I have spent the years since developing no-thought, seeing all as the rising and falling of a wave.  I read all traditions that come into my hands; the more I learn, the more I realize the connectivity of one tradition to the next; shamanism to Buddhism to Yogi Philosophy,  Yes, I see now that it was the introductory meeting with that Void of Awareness, the awareness devoid of personality and obstacles.  I have spent 34 years removing what could be termed 'defects of character' as an adjunct to chemical abuse; I suspect there is a cross-over there as well.  I try to reflect the comings and goings of 'life' as a mirror now, unaffected by the illusions and yet participating in same.

I find myself attracted more and more to the Dzoghen path as one that joins up with and seems to best define (as far as what can be defined!) the "Journey to the Center of the Earth", as Jules may have put it.

you needed 1st nana because its then you can do concentration practice on that void, awareness. technically also its om mantra, once you do it then there is something going down the throat but i think first you need to succeed on that concentration practice 1-8 levels there to unlock breath. You unlock breath so you could overcome anger.

Its in tibetan or mahayana path at 2nd bhumi you master jhanas.

Edited by allinone

your posts stayed with me, so now words follow, but not about rigpa, about wich I know nothing. not a coherent story either, just some things that I want to put my humble comments on.

I wish I could say I spend several hours a day in meditation.  I do not.  I will spend maybe 20 minutes a day in meditation, over a period of 30 or so years.

why be dissatisfied with that? seems to me you're doing well and are consistent in your practice for 30 years, seems to me that' s worth applauding

I wish I could say I walk around in a state of constant gnowing, in Awareness.  I do not.  I get caught up in something that someone said or did, then realize later the metaphysical importance or reason for it.  I seem to be a few steps behind in my Awareness much of the time.

which is far more than the average person is able to

I do have those moments when bliss occurs, when all things come together as one.  They are short lived.  I have had the blissful experienced of tantric sex on several occasions; there are no words to describe that.  I wish that for everybody at least once; it is unforgettable.

I might get my chance on that...all is not lost  :D

I have meditated to the point where I got to the outer limits of 'something', some edge of the universe where there was a sudden awareness of the Aloneness of it all; where there was nobody but my presence out there; where ego dissipated and fell around me like a broken eggshell.  It was terrifying and I was afraid I couldn't get back.  I did, but very slowly.

which happened to you by your discipline of everyday 20 minutes, more would maybe not be healthy for you, seeing how it scared you, don't be afraid, the fear in itself makes it a fearful experience (yeah, easier said that done...i know)

But the thing that came to me in meditiation this morning in a lovely Florida park was the following:  that the closest I have ever been to understanding what we could maybe call the primordial brain, the reptilian brain, or perhaps Rigpa (my non-Buddhist understanding being 'innate awareness, the true nature of the individual', using the definition of Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche) was in one of the deepest depressions I had ever fallen into.  This happened several years ago, and my partner called an ambulance to take me to the hospital.  I was on my bed in a fetal position, crying so hard that no sound even came out any more; my eyes were swollen and some blood vessels had broken in my eyes; this went on for several hours.  My mouth was frozen in an open crying position, but again, no sound was capable of even coming out.

to me...now, the kind of depression you were/(are?) suffering from is frozen pain, old deep hurts that are packed into the body and the energetic body. Pain, deep sadness, anger, hurt. To get rid of it means going through that old pain, to release it and that hurts like hell. eh...meaning, i think that it is old pain never properly adressed/digested ( searching for words here, this is not my native tongue) Therefore this pain sits there, waiting to be released, to, in the end, be really felt/ experienced. Maybe, this experience was something like that?? 

And yet, it was then and only then that I felt the presence of an Other of sorts.  It seemed to be located at the brain stem, the area toward the back of the throat.  It was a presence that clearly said to me 'you are choosing this, you know'.  It was a part of my brain that was not caught up in the depression of whatever it was I was so depressed about (can't remember now), but it was clearly not affected by the emotion.  It was emotionless and all-knowing.  And it saying what it said was partly comforting, and at the same time partly not what I wanted to hear.

yes, that it is

Perhaps the ocean of rigpa.  Perhaps it was reached because the id or ego was totally demolished at that moment, nothing left to survive for.  But all I know was that it was real, and it was dwelling within.  The dweller.

I see ' ego' as a lovable but tiresome toddler, not something to be demolished... that little whining girl was so tired that in the end you managed to put her to sleep, so quietude came, the reality could take over

Thank you, friend.  Caught it!  Okay now....incoming back atcha'

:)

I do realize that rigpa is not an entity at all, but rather the true nature of the individual.  Whatever this was, it lacked emotion of any kind, and yet it was a Truth.  I knew instinctively that this voice was right, that my depression was of my own choice, that I had my own egoic reasons for being in the depression and staying there (although Western medicine tells me that I am clinically depressed and require medication); but i do realize how sub-standard and unrefined Western medicine is compared to the wisdom and experience of the Eastern traditions.

IMHO A real depression is not some egoic issue, not something you can snap out of when you stop feeling sorry for yourself. It has to do with old hurts, this frozen stuff creates all kinds of disbalances in the body (and in the balance between all kinds of neurotransmitters too, but that's a consequence of frozen pain, not the cause.)

There maybe an other way of understanding this phrase. To me it might mean, but that's just me, that you chose this life, with these hardships, this pain, the whole story you now so well and I'm only guessing at, and the depression that's part of it. Because that's the path you chose, to learn the Way in this life.

These pains could also be a ongoing issue through live's on end, and you're getting rid of those old patterns here and now, in this life

The book I am reading, 'The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep', by the aforementioned Rinpoche, defines rigpa fully as:  'Literally, "awareness" or "knowing".  In the Dzoghen teachings, rigpa means awareness of the truth, innate awareness, the true nature of the individual.'

It is from this perspective, the above definition, that the connect-up occurred in my mind, to that which happened some years ago.  My memory sprang immediately to that experience of hearing the voice of Knowing, and knowing that it was the voice of truth.  The thing that sticks with me the most is the lack of emotion contained in that part of me that clearly spoke to me.  As I said previously, it just felt like a Dweller; a wisdom within that was separate from my tremendously emotional self at that moment.  It Knew.  This is why the phenomenon seemed to match up with the definition.

No fancy words needed for me, t's only the toddler that's capable of emotions

I do understand that it is not literally an entity within.  That it is nowhere, as All is Awareness and interconnectedness, that all our Awareness combined is the same Awareness.  However, my Awareness was so clouded by the egoic wallowing of self-pity, I had strayed so far from my 'true nature', the contrast was so great - that I was given the opportunity (or rather, heard the opportunity) to see the difference between the two.  Between what was real and what was unreal.

As said, I do not believe that real clinical depression is ' wallowing' seen too much of it, in myself and several others. But I agree that it is the contrast between the extreme emotion you felt and the stillness within...that made ' you' aware of it ( or something).

thank you for these words, I've been through a like experience, hearing the same ' voice'  and you put it nicely, helps me to ' get' my experience better

love BES

• Like 2

Rigpa:

http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-masters/mipham/mipham-lamp

And, from Tony Duff's translation of that same text, "Way of The Realized Old Dogs"

http://www.amazon.com/Realized-Advice-Essence-Dispels-Darkness/dp/9937824427

Rigpa, Tib. rig pa: This is the singularly most important term in the whole of Great Completion and Mahāmudrā. In particular, it is the key word of all words in the Great Completion system of the Thorough Cut.

Rigpa literally means to know in the sense of “I see!” It is used at all levels of meaning from the coarsest everyday sense of knowing something to the deepest sense of knowing something as presented in the system of Thorough Cut. The system of Thorough Cut uses this term in a very special sense, though it still retains its basic meaning of “to know”. To translate it as “awareness”, which is common practice today, is a poor practice; there are many kinds of awareness but there is only one rigpa and besides, rigpa is substantially more than just awareness.

Since this is such an important term and since it lacks an equivalent in English, I choose not to translate it. This is the term used to indicate enlightened mind as experienced by the practitioner on the path of these practices. The term itself specifically refers to the dynamic knowing quality of mind. It absolutely does not mean a simple registering, as implied by the word “awareness” which unfortunately is often used to translate this term.

There is no word in English that exactly matches it, though the idea of “seeing” or “insight on the spot” is very close. Proof of this is found in the fact that the original Sanskrit term “vidyā” is actually the root of all words in English that start with “vid” and mean “to see”, for example, “video”, “vision”, and so on.

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, who was particularly skilled at getting Tibetan words into English, also stated that this term rigpa really did not have a good equivalent in English, though he thought that “insight” was the closest. My own conclusion after hearing extensive teaching on it is that rigpa is best left untranslated. Note that rigpa has both noun and verb forms. To get the verb form, I use “rigpa’ing”.

Edited by Tibetan_Ice
  • Like 1

Blue Eyed Snake - thank you so much for the loving words and the time you took to respond to all that.  Your compassion and kindness is greatly appreciated from this end.

Barbara

• Like 2

Rigpa:

http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-masters/mipham/mipham-lamp

And, from Tony Duff's translation of that same text, "Way of The Realized Old Dogs"

http://www.amazon.com/Realized-Advice-Essence-Dispels-Darkness/dp/9937824427

I agree with your understanding as well.  It is the awareness of self, the self realization realized from a constant series of 'Aha's' that create the type of awareness we're speaking of here.  For the past 34 years, I've had to pull my inner covers to be in a state of recovery.  Your words couldn't be truer to me.  .

Interestingly, I've heard this voice 3 times.  The first time was when I had my moment of alcoholic clarity, when I had my boyfriend pull the car over because I had to vomit, and the wind blew it back into the car all over him.  I heard a male voice in my ear say "You're so much better than this". (And it wasn't the fellow with vomit dripping off of him)

The second time was after I'd been sober for about a year, and one more time I was sitting in a Christmas service in a Christian church, hearing the same old dusty nativity story once again.  I distinctly heard a male voice say into my ear "This is so dead".  I even looked around to see if someone had come forward and whisper this in my ear, and nobody had.  I haven't been to a Christian church since then, other than occasionally to a Southern Baptist church in Ohio that I support.  That voice caused me to broaden my spiritual search, resulting in me being here with you.

This was the third time I heard the voice - when I was in the depression and it told me that I had a choice. Again, it was a male voice, living under the space of ego.  It was real.  To me, this is the voice of My Truth - not saying it's absolute truth for anybody else - but it is my truth.  It is the ocean of awareness derived from uncovering self, that sense that dwells underneath.  it is emotionless and every time I hear it, I know it to be my truth.  It is absolutely authoritative and it is useless to second guess it.

But it just struck me as I was recently reading about dream yoga and the concept of rigpa that it occurred to me that the voice I've heard on those occasions could be connected to rigpa somehow.  Or not.  

So maybe to refer to this as a type of rigpa is absolute incorrect.  I do not pretend to be a Buddhist - I just love reading everything, that's all.  And sometimes the tumblers just fall into place when you read or hear something in particular, and you recognize it.  That's why I felt the proximity to what the Rinpoche was describing as rigpa.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 3

I agree with your understanding as well. It is the awareness of self, the self realization realized from a constant series of 'Aha's' that create the type of awareness we're speaking of here. For the past 34 years, I've had to pull my inner covers to be in a state of recovery. Your words couldn't be truer to me. .

Interestingly, I've heard this voice 3 times. The first time was when I had my moment of alcoholic clarity, when I had my boyfriend pull the car over because I had to vomit, and the wind blew it back into the car all over him. I heard a male voice in my ear say "You're so much better than this". (And it wasn't the fellow with vomit dripping off of him)

The second time was after I'd been sober for about a year, and one more time I was sitting in a Christmas service in a Christian church, hearing the same old dusty nativity story once again. I distinctly heard a male voice say into my ear "This is so dead". I even looked around to see if someone had come forward and whisper this in my ear, and nobody had. I haven't been to a Christian church since then, other than occasionally to a Southern Baptist church in Ohio that I support. That voice caused me to broaden my spiritual search, resulting in me being here with you.

This was the third time I heard the voice - when I was in the depression and it told me that I had a choice. Again, it was a male voice, living under the space of ego. It was real. To me, this is the voice of My Truth - not saying it's absolute truth for anybody else - but it is my truth. It is the ocean of awareness derived from uncovering self, that sense that dwells underneath. it is emotionless and every time I hear it, I know it to be my truth. It is absolutely authoritative and it is useless to second guess it.

But it just struck me as I was recently reading about dream yoga and the concept of rigpa that it occurred to me that the voice I've heard on those occasions could be connected to rigpa somehow. Or not.

So maybe to refer to this as a type of rigpa is absolute incorrect. I do not pretend to be a Buddhist - I just love reading everything, that's all. And sometimes the tumblers just fall into place when you read or hear something in particular, and you recognize it. That's why I felt the proximity to what the Rinpoche was describing as rigpa.

From Swimming With The Whale - Daskalos

Now, in the bodies, in the Etheric Doubles of the material, the Psychical and the Noetical Bodies there is an archangel near the Thrones [a Metathrone]. This is your Guardian Angel. Every human being has a Guardian Angel. That is not your so-called higher Self. He is an Archangel different from your Spirit-Soul. Out of Love that Guardian Angel is egofied [unified] to you. When you say that nobody can hear or see what you are doing -you are mistaken. The Guardian Angel knows everything and, sometimes, when you overdo it -he interferes. That is what you call the stings of consciousness. Did you ever analyze what are the stings of consciousness that are coming to us sometimes saying, "That's wrong? You shouldn't have done it?" It is his voice.

Now, I will reveal much more. Do you know that you are in dialogue with him all the time without understanding it? He is egofied [unified] with you. You think that you are making this conversation with yourself. Just notice. When you sit in meditation, in silence, you listen to this dialogue. I ask you with whom are you talking with? You think, “It is with myself." It is not with yourself -it is with your Guardian Angel that you are talking. That's why I say listen to your inner voice and consult that super intelligent Archangel who loves you. ~ Daskalos

• Like 2

That is quite wonderful, T.I.!  I can't help but note that Daskalos is a Christian mystic, and as such he would think in terms of archangels.  Maybe there is no relationship between archangels and the 'voice' of rigpa, the inner and outer awareness That Is, but maybe there is.  Thank you so much for that quote - it was beautiful.  We're all looking at Awareness from different perspectives, I'm guessing.  And if Daskalos is right, that everybody does have a guardian angel, then our guardian angels would certainly sit under the throne of ego, IMO.

Blue Eyed Snake - thank you so much for the loving words and the time you took to respond to all that.  Your compassion and kindness is greatly appreciated from this end.

Barbara

You're welcome

I've read your post a few times, manitou.

And I haven't really known what to say.

The word rigpa is quite charged and I hesitate to say anything that takes us down a path of trying to define it. 

I do want to acknowledge your willingness and ability to express such deep levels of self-experience and self-discovery.

It is at times inspiring, and at times humbling, and I appreciate your connection with and approach to this community.

Perhaps there is little more evocative of the concept of rigpa than just such a journey and expression.

_/\_

• Like 5

Thank you Steve.  I am rather awed by the Dream Yoga book, and in fact I am re-reading it again from the beginning.  Even reading the introduction (after the initial reading) brings deeper level of understanding.  I expect that this is one of those books that each time you read it, you see it with higher eyes.   I appreciate your statement that it is something that is impossible to define - the only thing I could relate it to was experience. So perhaps the experience had nothing to do with rigpa.  Perhaps I'll get a further glimpse (an undefinable one, for sure!) upon second reading.  And this time I won't try to define it,   :unsure:

Love to you.

• Like 1

Rigpa is the luminosity of the mind...light.  When you see light within your mind, you know what Rigpa is.  Light and luminosity aren't metaphors but an actual manifestation of the mind..the nature and the reality of the mind. 

I read the dream yoga book and with rigpa would only appear in the "clear light dream."  I am going through the book Natural Perfection by Longchenpa right now. 

• Like 2

Lucid dreaming is just the first stage to penetrate the illusions of dreams.  Or to penetrate the dream of samsara.  There is the dream of clarity in which you receive precognition and information about the future.  Or information about your spiritual path.  In the clear light dream, you recognize rigpa because it is manifesting itself as the luminosity of light in your dream.  The experience is similar to a Samadhi but you are experiencing it through and in between dream states and waking states. 

• Like 2

Lucid dreaming is just the first stage to penetrate the illusions of dreams.  Or to penetrate the dream of samsara.  There is the dream of clarity in which you receive precognition and information about the future.  Or information about your spiritual path.  In the clear light dream, you recognize rigpa because it is manifesting itself as the luminosity of light in your dream.  The experience is similar to a Samadhi but you are experiencing it through and in between dream states and waking states. 

And in the book it apparently gets you to the place where it is all like one big lucid dream, whether in the dream state while sleeping, or the dream state while awake.  Since reading the Flower Ornament Sutra, I have found myself merging with Flower Glow, a boddisatva, in my mind.  when I do this it is easy to realize that the waking state is a dream.  I wish I didn't take sleeping pills at night, but I take Prozac and there's no sleeping at all with that stuff.  So I take pills to get to sleep.  I only get snippets of dreams, but they are often profound.  But not lucid, although I have had one in the past.

Such fascinating reading, and a fascinating concept (or truth).  I look forward to the day I can get rid of all the pills, but as long as I'm living with another, I stay on them out of deference to our getting along.  I've tried again and again to get off the Prozac and, even knowing it's all a dream, the physicality of withdrawing from that drug is just horrible, no matter how slowly you try to do it.

luminosity as light of awareness?

I don't have a reference point so i don't know what is clear light dream, you are keeping "lucid" and "clear" as two separate things without no connection.

Guys and girls... :)  Is beyond lucid.  If it is all about being lucid, you would have many people experiencing rigpa.  I have experienced it only ONCE (the powerful kind..the kind that makes you wonder if you are leaving this world behind and to become an immortal) in my 3 decades old "path."  I have some minor ones throughout the years.  The emergence of the rigpa gets carried away to your waking life!!!!!  I say ALWAYS the case.  If you see and recognize and to have realized rigpa in your dreams, the same luminosity of light would also be present in your waking consciousness.  There are times I would see rigpa in my dreams and to have waken up and trying to get back to sleep.  But I can not because my third eye is seeing this luminosity of the mind, the clear light. 

Lucid dreaming does not exist outside of your dreams.  Besides, in Dzogchen, the mind is already enlightened and naturally perfect to receive enlightenment.  You mind needs to just be.  There's nothing to become lucid about.  You just allow the mind to manifest its own luminous nature.       

Edited by ChiForce