Sign in to follow this  
MooNiNite

What is the deal with Coincidences?

Like seriously?

Are we in a simulation or something.

They can be too real. and too recurring.

Except when you look for them, they go away. 

Yes, coincidences happen.

The randomness of the universe is to blame.

I doubt any mystical explanations should be attributed to such events.

A friend of mine went down to London to see the launch of a new film at Leicester Square. After watching the film the lights came on and he discovered he had been sat right next to another friend.

However:

Both of them were film buffs, both had often travelled to see film launches, this was a particular kind of film that they both would want to see, Leicester Square was the only place the film was shown, they regularly went to see films together and always chose approximately the same seats.

Something that seemed supernatural, was fairly predictable.

Edited by Karl

From the perspective of non-duality there is just one process happening, one thing going on rather than all our independent separate lives. So from the intelligence or laws of the whole things can work out beyond the capacity of our localised and limited intellect to understand.

• Like 2

C.G. Jung talked a lot about meaningful coincidences. He coined the term "synchronicities" for them.

Here's an anecdote from my personal experience (one of many)...

When I lived in Japan in 1989/90, I was in a situation that threatened to unsettle me. To help me keep my calm, I decided to use the power of visualization. As a role model, I used Peter Weller (Robocop) in a movie I had just watched, where he played a scientist able of considered action even under the trickiest of circumstances.

Watch from 5:40 on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETC7Ob3gruM&list=PLCD0702FC5D0F2062

I did my visualization regularly for several months.

It wasn't before too long that I happened to meet Peter one night during a dinner with my wife and her mum in a Vegetarian restaurant in Kyoto, and had a memorable conversation with him.

Anybody who is familiar with visualization and magic won't consider this coincidence - the way this is usually understood.

• Like 1

To notice and remember coincidence is to hone awareness.  Whether random or the universes subtle message system, its a good skill to develop. 

I collect old 'wheaty' pennies.  I've found 2 of them the last 2 months, a 1936 and a 1946.  They're increasingly rare enough so that people go years without finding one.  My secret.. I like them, I look..  I've collected a few hundred of them in change. 

I find coins on the street all the time.  Today it was some strange oriental coin.  I'll ponder what message the find might represent, with dimes being bad luck. 

I don't always follow it, but I like the philosophy to treat waking life more as a dream, and take dreams as serious messages. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

I hear you. But it also seems that there is so much stuff, and so much stuff going on at any one time, that synchronicities are to be expected and nothing special.

• Like 2

heres an another example.(from wiki). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

In his book Synchronicity (1952), Jung tells the following story as an example of a synchronistic event:

My example concerns a young woman patient who, in spite of efforts made on both sides, proved to be psychologically inaccessible. The difficulty lay in the fact that she always knew better about everything. Her excellent education had provided her with a weapon ideally suited to this purpose, namely a highly polished Cartesian rationalism with an impeccably "geometrical" idea of reality. After several fruitless attempts to sweeten her rationalism with a somewhat more human understanding, I had to confine myself to the hope that something unexpected and irrational would turn up, something that would burst the intellectual retort into which she had sealed herself. Well, I was sitting opposite her one day, with my back to the window, listening to her flow of rhetoric. She had an impressive dream the night before, in which someone had given her a golden scarab — a costly piece of jewellery. While she was still telling me this dream, I heard something behind me gently tapping on the window. I turned round and saw that it was a fairly large flying insect that was knocking against the window-pane from outside in the obvious effort to get into the dark room. This seemed to me very strange. I opened the window immediately and caught the insect in the air as it flew in. It was a scarabaeid beetle, or common rose-chafer (
Cetonia aurata
), whose gold-green colour most nearly resembles that of a golden scarab. I handed the beetle to my patient with the words, "Here is your scarab." This experience punctured the desired hole in her rationalism and broke the ice of her intellectual resistance. The treatment could now be continued with satisfactory results.
— Carl Jung,

I wonder if its maybe causes and conditions are spread in many lifetimes, and due we don't change our fates much our lives are pretty much the same as prior ones. Like yesterday, tomorrow is likely the same.

edit: also wondering if it were a Gnosis (Jhana ..) what happened there. Sure it was. (the icebreaking of intellectual resistance)

Edited by allinone
  • Like 1

Coincidence Its magic and awesome we could break it down into parts but that would still leave some unknown ingredients.

law of attraction is cool and maybe an ingredient. Put it out to the universe and play see what you can manifest into reality.

• Like 2

Could coincidences be a product of following a "true path?"

If one is becoming one with the universe, would their actions not coincide with it more?

For me they reassure me that I am on the correct path.

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 6

If one is becoming one with the universe, would their actions not coincide with it more?

Yes. Already Chuang Tzu wrote that the sage is the focus of wondrous occurences.

• Like 3

Then they would not be coincidences but the effect of volitional actions. They would also be a very poor and unreliable guide to a path. Instead, what you are doing is reversing causality in order to make the coincidences support your own philosophy. It is irrational and illogical. This is the world of mystic signs and symbolism. Where black cats, ladders, salt, tea leaves or the throwing of bones brings luck or disaster.

It is you who are in charge of your thoughts and actions, your path is only what you make it, it's entire course is unwritten and I would suggest survival and happiness are a far better guide than coincidence.

what you mean by coming one with the universe, is that like game player realizes that he is playing the game?

Then they would not be coincidences but the effect of volitional actions. They would also be a very poor and unreliable guide to a path. Instead, what you are doing is reversing causality in order to make the coincidences support your own philosophy. It is irrational and illogical. This is the world of mystic signs and symbolism. Where black cats, ladders, salt, tea leaves or the throwing of bones brings luck or disaster. It is you who are in charge of your thoughts and actions, your path is only what you make it, it's entire course is unwritten and I would suggest survival and happiness are a far better guide than coincidence.

Black cat or any object can cause old memories to arise and then person does a physical movement, because he couldn't bear what he saw and if you are mystical or religious then you might do a whole ceremony afterwards.

I follow dreams, they either are warning or telling what i did. They can warn me because i did a mistake and dreams know the future because of cause and effect of my mistake and play it to me via symbols.

I see without causes and conditions therefore i need to interpret symbols(things what aren't what they appear to be therefore they are appearances or illusions). We don't know at first causes and conditions, you do find them by observing how things and events are interacting from both sides, once i find the relation then that will presented to me as oneness or one taste what i now can use as a reference point to locate "where i am" in a body, so i could then enlighten the mind in order to proceed to further tasks.

When i see a tree then that is an appearance, but still an illusion despite its very real. Typically it presents as firewood and warmth or fruits depending on a tree what is seen then its a potential for killing and stealing and if i do it then i cultivate and pile up more that kind of energy eventually thinking that trees are only for firewood and fruits nothing else.

Then they would not be coincidences but the effect of volitional actions. They would also be a very poor and unreliable guide to a path. Instead, what you are doing is reversing causality in order to make the coincidences support your own philosophy. It is irrational and illogical. This is the world of mystic signs and symbolism. Where black cats, ladders, salt, tea leaves or the throwing of bones brings luck or disaster. It is you who are in charge of your thoughts and actions, your path is only what you make it, it's entire course is unwritten and I would suggest survival and happiness are a far better guide than coincidence.

Agreed, coincidences should not be chased after, at least not directly. They are more of a product of correct actions, i think. 

Complete freedom of path, is certainly true, but is it a good idea? That would imply that their is no higher purpose for a person to discover. Does a person's hard work and adherence to truth lead to no meaningful self-discovery? Are all the chess pieces the same?

A "soul-purpose" or innate talent in an individual that they can discover in order to be most effective in this world. Because if their were, then some aspect of ourselves is unique and partially out of our control. The idea of Harmony. 

Edited by MooNiNite

How can one be harmonious with the universe if they have complete free will?

An example would be the musician who creates his music in freedom, but also provides his music for the universe (everyone else). 

He is still limited in some way because he must serve, he must eat, sleep, and survive. So their is a controlling element to his existence. 

The idea of a controlling element tied to one's purpose (greater purpose, innate purpose, "soul purpose") shouldn't be completely out of the question. 

Edited by MooNiNite

Continous improbable fortuitous synchronicity is a choice in state of being.

Choose to make improbable compassionate events happen freely for the beings you encounter, and in return the universe reflects this experience back in ways beyond chance coincidence.

Coincidence is a misnomer, beings reap what they sow. Every being is equally free to plant seeds of fortuitous unexpected delights, or seeds of indifferent suffering events depending on what lessons one may be seeking. The universe loves in a perfect way that doesn't impose on a beings choice of whatever suffering or bliss one chooses to seek through the choice of thoughts and actions of the individual.

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

• Like 1

Agreed, coincidences should not be chased after, at least not directly. They are more of a product of correct actions, i think. 

Complete freedom of path, is certainly true, but is it a good idea? That would imply that their is no higher purpose for a person to discover. Does a person's hard work and adherence to truth lead to no meaningful self-discovery? Are all the chess pieces the same?

A "soul-purpose" or innate talent in an individual that they can discover in order to be most effective in this world. Because if their were, then some aspect of ourselves is unique and partially out of our control. The idea of Harmony. 

The gaining of earned values is the product of correct actions.

We don't have total freedom, some things are absolute.

Purpose cant be lower or higher; either you have purpose or you don't. You must choose what that purpose is.

How can you not be self discovered ? Is it possible to volitionally hold some part of you back from yourself in the manner of a half person ? You know all there is to discover, even to the point of knowing what you are evading or avoiding.

Hard work is not always good, productive work and the only truth is that which you know about your self. If you lie to yourself, if you evade, if you are dishonest, corrupt, unjust or believe pride is a sin then you will know yourself as unhappy.

We all have our nature, our capacity both physical and mental which is unique. We can do some things to enhance both, we can also do many things to damage them. Choose to have a healthy body and mind by respecting ones primary value of life. Harmony is attained within yourself by adhering to ones virtues and being a moral person. Go after values with reasoned determination knowing what is good.

Continous improbable fortuitous synchronicity is a choice in state of being. Choose to make improbable compassionate events happen freely for the beings you encounter, and in return the universe reflects this experience back in ways beyond chance coincidence. Coincidence is a misnomer, beings reap what they sow. Every being is equally free to plant seeds of fortuitous unexpected delights, or seeds of indifferent suffering events depending on what lessons one may be seeking. The universe loves in a perfect way that doesn't impose on a beings choice of whatever suffering or bliss one chooses to seek through the choice of thoughts and actions of the individual. Unlimited Love, -Bud

And you did choose me as your hater? I hate you for that.

The gaining of earned values is the product of correct actions. We don't have total freedom, some things are absolute. Purpose cant be lower or higher; either you have purpose or you don't. You must choose what that purpose is. How can you not be self discovered ? Is it possible to volitionally hold some part of you back from yourself in the manner of a half person ? You know all there is to discover, even to the point of knowing what you are evading or avoiding. Hard work is not always good, productive work and the only truth is that which you know about your self. If you lie to yourself, if you evade, if you are dishonest, corrupt, unjust or believe pride is a sin then you will know yourself as unhappy. We all have our nature, our capacity both physical and mental which is unique. We can do some things to enhance both, we can also do many things to damage them. Choose to have a healthy body and mind by respecting ones primary value of life. Harmony is attained within yourself by adhering to ones virtues and being a moral person. Go after values with reasoned determination knowing what is good.

good and bad, moral and immoral, arn't as clear as you might think. Only ignorant people are absolutely sure of anything.  

• Like 1

good and bad, moral and immoral, arn't as clear as you might think. Only ignorant people are absolutely sure of anything.

For a normal, healthy, grown adult, good and bad is a choice, that does not mean that we always choose the good automatically, it means we must think carefully and hard about each action. This is a very active conscious process requiring a set of principles (virtues) by which you strictly adhere in order to gain or hold value. Good action produces long term happiness, bad action produces nothing or negative emotions (negative value attainment).

If you are not sure about anything then you are ignorant. That you are not automatically certain about everything, to have doubts, to question, to need to reason, is to be human. However to evade or to simply refuse to think is an evil in itself, it is immoral to blank out or deny conscious thought.

Edited by Karl

"For a normal, healthy, grown adult, good and bad is a choice."

Define normal? 

Do you think most people are healthy? I think average "normal" person is quite unhealthy!! and obese!!

"Good action produces long term happiness."

No, only creation produces long term happiness. Or else you are always stuck in someone else's creation, do you think they have you first on their list for happiness? Will they let you free your mind? 

"If you are not sure about anything then you are ignorant."

Only those that can face up to their ignorance will ever take the initiative to learn more. 

"For a normal, healthy, grown adult, good and bad is a choice."

Define normal?

Do you think most people are healthy? I think average "normal" person is quite unhealthy!! and obese!!

"Good action produces long term happiness."

No, only creation produces long term happiness. Or else you are always stuck in someone else's creation, do you think they have you first on their list for happiness? Will they let you free your mind?

"If you are not sure about anything then you are ignorant."

Only those that can face up to their ignorance will ever take the initiative to learn more.

Normal, average person not encumbered by mental problems or severe disabilities. By healthy I mean they aren't suffering severe debilitating health issues which preclude them acting/ thinking freely.

I don't know what you mean by 'creation' except in the sense that man must use his mind to gain and hold value, his greatest value being his life. If he has no control of his life-be that self inflicted or externally inflicted through slavery, imprisonment, totalitarian state, then he is not free. If he is free, then he should be productive and must use his mind in order to be productive. That is creative.

Learning requires an active conscious decision to learn, to take in new information and integrate the concepts that arise from those new perceptions. We must learn in order to better survive and to increase our store of values thereby increasing our happiness. So, absolutely, ignorance, is the decision not to learn, not to think, or to evade willingly.

Edited by Karl

Normal, average person not encumbered by mental problems or severe disabilities. By healthy I mean they aren't suffering severe debilitating health issues which preclude them acting/ thinking freely.

I don't know what you mean by 'creation' except in the sense that man must use his mind to gain and hold value, his greatest value being his life. If he has no control of his life-be that self inflicted or externally inflicted through slavery, imprisonment, totalitarian state, then he is not free. If he is free, then he should be productive and must use his mind in order to be productive. That is creative.

Learning requires an active conscious decision to learn, to take in new information and integrate the concepts that arise from those new perceptions. We must learn in order to better survive and to increase our store of values thereby increasing our happiness. So, absolutely, ignorance, is the decision not to learn, not to think, or to evade willingly.

I can see your point on many things. Personally I do see value in morality and deciphering truth, if only to create mental freedom. My ideas on "normal" people, are quite different however. I am hesitant to say if true happiness will reach the average person. 

Sign in to follow this