Sign in to follow this  
Bearded Dragon

SQL Error again

If we can get an update done, there may be some security and integrity improvements.

• Like 2

Maybe some folks are just online too much  :ninja:  :ninja:  :ninja:    (ducking at tomatoes thrown)

I've tried to impress the need to upgrade the software but I'm waiting like everyone else.

Maybe some folks are just online too much  :ninja:  :ninja:  :ninja:    (ducking at tomatoes thrown)

I've tried to impress the need to upgrade the software but I'm waiting like everyone else.

I'm addicted - I constantly need to know if Karl has said anything irrational.

• Like 5

I've been getting this error for days but mostly when trying to access the buddhist discussion subforum.

Yeah, sometimes life gives us SQL errors.

The program is rigged so that the Buddhist sub-forum gets more of them than any other sub-forum.  It is a test of their patience.

• Like 2

Yeah, sometimes life gives us SQL errors.

The program is rigged so that the Buddhist sub-forum gets more of them than any other sub-forum.  It is a test of their patience.

:D  :D  :D

I had a SQL error recently on the index page, it persisted for a few days before I tried to access to an other sub forum (by mistake while browsing my history), and the page got displayed correctly. This pushed me to experiment a bit.

I sniffed my traffic with Wireshark, while trying to fetch the index page which displayed an SQL error, and observed there were no connection to the server, therefore that was likely a caching problem.

So I tried to reload the page while bypassing the cache (generally by pressing [Ctrl] + [F5], or with developer tools) and the page reloaded normally without SQL error.

Normally, a web resource (html pages, images, ...) is send with an ETag* (a field in the HTTP headers) or at least an expiration date**. I suppose that these HTTP headers are missing from the server response when it has to send the SQL error page.

The same behaviour occurs for the page indicating the server is offline (the page with the guy sitting in lotus).

*In the case of the ETag, the web browser establishes a connection with the server to send the ETag, and the server responds either by telling the resource is up-to-date or with the updated resource.

**In the case of an expiration date, it is just a date, and the browser consults its cache until the date is reached, afterward, if the resource is requested, the browser is going to consult the server normally.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this