Do the administrators of TTBs have any plans of transitioning to a type of facebook group? Or atleast creating a facebook discussion group version of this site?

I have not heard of any discussion on that.

There is some activity going on to at least update to 3.4.x...  IPS4 has some major changes which need to be looked at.

• Like 1

I have not heard of any discussion on that.

There is some activity going on to at least update to 3.4.x...  IPS4 has some major changes which need to be looked at.

Fair enough.

Not sure what you mean... Facebook groups are awful for discussing things, and much worse for organizing/finding anything. What's wrong with the forum?

• Like 6

Not sure what you mean... Facebook groups are awful for discussing things, and much worse for organizing/finding anything. What's wrong with the forum?

I didn't say forums were "wrong" or that the forum should disappear, just that there are other social media platforms for exchanging information and was wondering if TTBs had contemplated entering those trends as an expansion of the forum.

I belong to several facebook groups which are excellent, but yes, generally speaking they are a Wild Wild West of exchange.

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

I quit Facebook, Twitter and linkdn. Too much tempting information available to those who shouldn't have it. Forums are bad enough, but not as easy to trawl when different names are used.

• Like 4

I didn't say forums were "wrong" or that the forum should disappear, just that there are other social media platforms for exchanging information and was wondering if TTBs had contemplated entering those trends as an expansion of the forum.

Fair enough. It was the word 'outdated' that threw me I suppose. Sounds a bit like an implication that this version of forum isn't as good as the new variety.

in all honesty, I suppose this kind of forum is somewhat outdated... but in the same way that cloaks are outdated. I'd love to be able to wear a cloak in winter, but society has moved on to ski jackets and tweed coats. A shame.

• Like 2

I don't like FB much and twitter seems like a time wasting exercise which I'm guessing has had its day.  But I would be interested in how people think DBs could improve along these lines - for instance I think Chat is under used and also perhaps ways of creating photo and video libraries (?).

• Like 3

I quit Facebook, Twitter and linkdn. Too much tempting information available to those who shouldn't have it. Forums are bad enough, but not as easy to trawl when different names are used.

I concur. If TTB moved to FB or similar data-mining sites, I would leave.

People have lost jobs and opportunities over interests and opinions such as those discussed here.

• Like 8

I'm outdated too,

and the things I write here I do not want to write on facebook ( thanks Mandrake!)

blue eyed snake & Mandrake, outdated together <3

• Like 2

.. I suppose this kind of forum is somewhat outdated... but in the same way that cloaks are outdated. I'd love to be able to wear a cloak in winter, but society has moved on to ski jackets and tweed coats. A shame.

..is the forum creating some sort of cloaks?  I think there should be a vote on the designs and we should wait for winter before coming out with the full line. 

'subtle sarcasm- perhaps too subtle

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

Thanks for your responses.

There is quite a potential there if used properly. For example, you could use the private chats for instructing, healing sessions, social chit chat etc.

At work we use a program called Lync. It lets you text, call and speak, record if you want, share documents, even share your desktop and give others control of the desktop. We need it because we have over 120,000 employees in the org to support.

I think gradually forums will evolve to include skype-like features, who knows maybe even in 3D holographic projections. It's not that far away.

Thanks for the info.    

I had posted this link about the future of this forum, but I've not really looked into it to understand it...  Do you see any value in this? 

https://invisionpower.com/files/file/7264-group-collaboration-full/

Thanks for the info.

I had posted this link about the future of this forum, but I've not really looked into it to understand it... Do you see any value in this?

https://invisionpower.com/files/file/7264-group-collaboration-full/

Hi Dawei,

I had a quick look at the software and these would be my concerns:

0) the software does seem to be pretty slick and full of features..

1) I don't know what software it is written in (.net, c++, Basic., etc ) nor what kind of database it uses, (sql, sybase , SQL anywhere, access :( etc ) so I don't have any idea how it performs under a load nor how reliable the backend is. Their price may not include database server licensing..

2) the price is too cheap,

3) it seems that there is only one programmer, Kevin. What happens if he wins a lottery, gets hit by a bus or decides to find another job?

4) the release log seems to be that new releases are usually given every month, sometimes twice a month. Do you really want to patch TDB that often?

5) there is currently a bug with the snapons which they are trying to fix as well as some installation problems. I think they are short on beta testers and are using the public as Guinea pigs.

I would recommend finding a larger company to deal with.

My opinion after about 1/2 hr cursory exam..

• Like 4

Hi Dawei,

I had a quick look at the software and these would be my concerns:

0) the software does seem to be pretty slick and full of features..

1) I don't know what software it is written in (.net, c++, Basic., etc ) nor what kind of database it uses, (sql, sybase , SQL anywhere, access :( etc ) so I don't have any idea how it performs under a load nor how reliable the backend is. Their price may not include database server licensing..

2) the price is too cheap,

3) it seems that there is only one programmer, Kevin. What happens if he wins a lottery, gets hit by a bus or decides to find another job?

4) the release log seems to be that new releases are usually given every month, sometimes twice a month. Do you really want to patch TDB that often?

5) there is currently a bug with the snapons which they are trying to fix as well as some installation problems. I think they are short on beta testers and are using the public as Guinea pigs.

I would recommend finding a larger company to deal with.

My opinion after about 1/2 hr cursory exam..

Thanks.   I do appreciate the detailed response.

That is an add-in to the board software, so I'd like to see if folks find it a useful addition in terms of expanding the forum software.

The main thing with extensions is related to there often being a single programmer involved. Will the software work in 10 years? Is there enough use of the software to expose security fixes? Will the programmer support maintenance releases after they've stopped updating and using the software.

For a small, single feature extension this isn't something to cause much concern. But when something integrates extensively into the main application, like this one seems to, there is potential for a lot to go wrong, especially as the years pass.

As ever, what is simple endures.

• Like 2

The main thing with extensions is related to there often being a single programmer involved. Will the software work in 10 years? Is there enough use of the software to expose security fixes? Will the programmer support maintenance releases after they've stopped updating and using the software.

For a small, single feature extension this isn't something to cause much concern. But when something integrates extensively into the main application, like this one seems to, there is potential for a lot to go wrong, especially as the years pass.

As ever, what is simple endures.

The main problem with web based apps is that they use a browser and you have no control over what companies do to their browsers. Case in point: Win 10's Edge browser written in HTML 5 does not work well with TDB posting...

perhaps I am just old and resisting change, but if it's change for the sake of change, I'll pass in favor of keeping things simple and if it ain't broke... don't fix it.  If it's change for benefit and I just can't see that benefit... please disregard these words as those of an old man sitting on his porch. :)

• Like 4