yugenphoenix

Exercise the day you get an acupuncture treatment

Just wondering what you all recommend, I usually lift weights, do cardio at night, just wondering if I should skip it the day I get an acupuncture treatment. Thank you all.

Just wondering what you all recommend, I usually lift weights, do cardio at night, just wondering if I should skip it the day I get an acupuncture treatment. Thank you all.

Nope, your fine.

Just pay attention to what your body tells you and needs.

John

A general rule - within 2 hours before or after the treatment it would be good to take it easy. Also I would say, don't do high intensity workouts that day, but moderate is fine.

"Treatment should be delayed for patients who suffer overfatigue.

This precaution also applies to patients who come for treatment immediately after heavy exertion. In addition, patients should not undergo hard labor or heavy exertion immediately after treatment. Physical strain shortly before or after acupuncture treatment can weaken the Kidneys.
" - Robert Johns in "The Art of Acupuncture Techniques...he also precautions to avoid sex by 2 hours before and after treatment, which is where I got my number above from.

"Do not needle a patient who is fresh from hard labor. Do not engage in hard labor if one is fresh from needling...

...If a patient comes by foot, let him sit down and rest for the duration that it takes to walk 5 kilometers before needling him....

...If you needle a person with these contraindications, their qi and blood in the meridians is unstable, and it can cause diseases. The result is that the patient will feel fatigue, the brain marrow will be consumed, and the body will fail to produce and transport body fluid.
" - Ling Shu chapter 9

• Like 1

That depends entirely on what sort of treatment you get, you should ask your acupuncturist.

• Like 1

http://www.withoutagym.net/dopamine-and-serotonin/

If you do heavy weights lifting you increase your dopamine in your nervous system.

If you do aerobic you increase the serotonin. This is how acupuncture works, nowadays is well known that accupuncture is increasing the serotonin in the nervous system, but the thing is that dopamine and serotonin are antagonists, if one raises the other decreases, so if you do acupuncture in the same day with weights it kind of cancels the treatment so basically you spent money for nothing. In my experience with gym you need two days to decrease the dopamine levels, so I would say not two hours, take a break of two days from weight lifting or strength exercises. 

• Like 1

Thanks all, my TCM doctor told me just to not exercise, perhaps just a short walk, mostly rest and drink plenty of water. Thanks for all your insightful replies though. 

• Like 1

The therapist should advide you, surely? I'm the same, I lift weights. Acupuncturist advised that I skip on treatment day.