DreamBliss

Grounding?

I may get into details later, but to keep it simple I received advice that I need get grounded, or be rooted. I recalled that someone here at this forums advised the same thing. I confess I wasn't really listening then, but I am listening now.

How does one go about getting grounded? What kinds of practices are there, besides meditation?

As always, I appreciate your help. I think I will come back and give more details as to why I am asking this later.

• Like 3

What would be so bad about things being exactly what they are Dream Bliss ?

I shall stay away from pontification as it wouldn't be helpful. Where you are is quite a fragile place and is on the edge of 'everything is subjective'. I would suggest that you should do a lot of grounding activity at this point. Walking, gardening or whatever. Cut back on practices or stop all together. The universe can come back in gradually and you can spend your time at a lower state of subjectivity. At this stage it is habitual to fly off into the world of Neti Neti and it's unpleasant and depressing-as you have found. You will hit the buffers many times, but as long as you ground and self pace the practices you can keep at state of equilibrium.

Relax it isn't a race. :-)

This ?

You could start with stretching legs and unfreezing the tissue around pelvis. When you reach a certain point in stretching, your tissue around upper legs and pelvis will become fluid and with that you could get connection with earth. THis is where grounding starts...

most people these days have their energy drastically up in their heads, leading to lots of incoherence, delusion & issues.

at a crude level, usings ones body through a lot of physical exercise will increase the level of awareness and energy running through the body. the problem is a lot of intellectual activity (such as using technology) where our thoughts are abstracted sends energy upward. so if you have habits that involve a lot of thinking, cutting these down is a part of the solution as specific practices that balance/bring energy down.

thankfully our system is intelligent enough to maintain a coherent state (energy centre in the dantian) without us doing much to maintain it, if we are living in a balanced way. on the practice front you have all types of things which are energy balancing/grounding (tai chi, qigong, etc), reorganizing our energy is preliminary to this spiritual work or any higher practices. a huge amount of junk (karmic energy/conditioning) can be lurking in the subtle body and as more awareness flows through the body, more of this will automatically be 'fruited'. so it can be easier said than done to bring our energy down due to blockages that need to be worked through. a large part of why we get 'ungrounded' in the first place may be due to distracting ourselves to remove awareness from unpleasant feelings lurking in the body.

personally the most powerful grounding practice i have encountered is meditation through the body, part by part. but it's a very potent practice and probably not ideal to do all the time depending on ones situation. a lot of stuff can be brought up very fast. breathing meditation with attention at the dantian is a simple one that could help bring energy down. or just abiding in the physical awareness of your entire body, as much as is possible. i believe getting grounded is so essential to any of this energy work and our general well being and am surprised the topic does not come up more often.

so basically pick your practice, find a teacher if possible or some good instructional material. do more physical exercise and cut down on the stuff that is cerebral in nature. even going for a walk is much better than sitting on a computer. a teacher would have recognised you had too much energy in your head immediately, potentially saving a lot of time. i would imagine it's the main problem for over 90% of people asking for help on the internet. anyone who is not sufficiently grounded with their energy well organized (most of us starting out) should not be focusing on anything else before that. it's the starting point for all paths and practices, as far as i'm concerned. good luck! :D

• Like 2

Yes Karl, I believe that was the post I was referring to.

The source of this also advised that I spend more time in nature. I already spend some time in nature, barefoot, naked when possible.

One of my favorite things to do is to step out on the concrete pad where I used to practice various exercises, and just stand there, legs hip distance apart, barefoot, closing my eyes and putting my attention on the breath as it comes in and goes out of my nose. But I usually only do this for a few minutes.

I know the answer comes. Something will come into my awareness, something I can do in the natural flow of my life that will serve to ground me. I have started up Qi Gong again, but so far only once. I don't know if it will stick or not. I am also considering taking up barefoot running again.

I have to consider that there may be nothing I can or should do to ground myself at all. This may be about ceasing to do something, and in the stopping of doing that, I become grounded. Maybe I have to stop astral projection and lucid dreaming practices?

Edited by DreamBliss

Yes Karl, I believe that was the post I was referring to.

The source of this also advised that I spend more time in nature. I already spend some time in nature, barefoot, naked when possible.

One of my favorite things to do is to step out on the concrete pad where I used to practice various exercises, and just stand there, legs hip distance apart, barefoot, closing my eyes and putting my attention on the breath as it comes in and goes out of my nose. But I usually only do this for a few minutes.

I know the answer comes. Something will come into my awareness, something I can do in the natural flow of my life that will serve to ground me. I have started up Qi Gong again, but so far only once. I don't know if it will stick or not. I am also considering taking up barefoot running again.

I have to consider that there may be nothing I can or should do to ground myself at all. This may be about ceasing to do something, and in the stopping of doing that, I become grounded. Maybe I have to stop astral projection and lucid dreaming practices?

Stopping all practices is the advice that is generally given. You can't balance it out by doing increased grounding to continued practice-from my experience.

Living in a subjective dream world loosens the grip on reality, the more that you break the link between reality and cognitive function, the greater becomes the disorientation. It's not too dissimilar to alcoholism, or other mental addictions. Eventually you either quit, or go on to ruin. Rarely does it get that self destructive, but it isn't impossible. Best to play at the edge of the pool than go so far out that you drown. Keep one limb on the bank by continually grounding. That way you don't overdose. Go too far out and the water gets deep- really, really deep.

• Like 1

the paying attention to the breath at the nose is not going to do much to bring the energy down, on the contrary. if the issue is not being grounded ie too much energy in the head, the nose is on your head, this is where you'll be building awareness/energy. much better to concentrate inside the body, at the belly/dantian, if doing this sort of practice.

the practices that will yield the most fruit in terms of grounding will be the ones where you are focusing your awareness inside the body. so certainly not things like astral projection.

• Like 2

In general getting more grounded is another way of saying to "get more in your body".

Other terms that are interesting to note in this range of comments is when someone says they feel a bit "spacey".

This is a commentary that actually fits the picture - when one is feeling spacey - their aura is out too wide and thin and often it is accompanied by a faster vibration in order to compensate and become more "real". Thus one thing leads to the other and one becomes both spacey and floaty.

One can often become more grounded (more solidly in the body) by bringing their aura in around them to their most natural naturally grounded vibration.

Most people do not have much of an aura past their knees and few have much extending down and around their feet.

Qi Gong done properly and not willfully will naturally help to ground one and root one and like Yoga, it will help to create a more even and whole aura - covering well the entire body.

Most people carry their aura higher and many somewhat forward - many sales people, rep and hospitality people carry most of their aura in the front and are often said to be "putting on a front".

In a healthy mix of energy a person will run about 2% earth energy up into the legs and distribute it from there. More than that is generally unhealthy. Most run well under .25%

Most general people that are clearly unground generally have certain habits:

Like sugars - and uppers - such as coffee, alcohol, beige foods (bread, pasta, etc).

Like speedy things and speedy environs.

Like emotional variety - highs and lows and self indulgence.

As people get into spiritual pursuits certain other habits from incorrect teachings and teachers and "attractive things to try" move into place. Things such as the idea that they want all their chakras open - it is nearly identical to thinking it would be a great idea to open all the windows and doors of your home. These people also often think that the bigger the aura the better - like the best ballon is one just about to pop. Some also think that spinal breathing is the perfect day long practice along with eating all sorts of hyper dense foods and are often afflicted with the belief in certain miracle foods along the lines of Kambucha.

As one sets upon a spiritual path the vibrations become finer and the energies become more vibrant naturally. It is thus very important to Listen To one's body and be aware of decreasing former habits. It may be that two or three cups of coffee need to be reduced to 1/2 a cup or one cup - or herbal tea. For some booze will not do at all and sugar drinks have to be replaced with more watery alternatives. White flour in all its glory may need to come to an end and carbo loading often need to be replaced with green treats like sugar snap peas.

Often if the above measures are not taken - many will suffer from a high association with beings using their body - a very shared experience and one that leads to a general high abnormal vibration and in general one who is not grounded (because the guests don't like the body grounded and enjoy the higher vibration - easy access vibration - of beige foods, uppers, sugars in any form and fast things/hate radio/politics/anything that can get the adrenals going - reactionary stuff.

Physical exercise is grounding, meditation is grounding (non-trance), simple foot message is grounding - and cold showers (a long cold shot at the end of a regular hot shower is fine). Sex is grounding.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 4

Here are a few suggestions that you're welcome to try out:

* When doing your regular Qigong, imagine that your legs dive 9 feet inside the earth. Alternatively, you can imagine that roots stem from the soles of your feet and dive into the depths of the earth. When you breathe in, you breathe in golden yellow energy from the these roots and their ramifications into the lower Dantian.

* Go for a walk in nature. Notice the sky, the trees, the plants and the birds. When you see a flower, visualize yourself as one. Say "Breathing in I see myself as a flower", "breathing out I feel fresh". This excercise is really refreshing, and I did it every morning when I walked to work in he USA. I would also smell the roses from people's gardens when they bloomed facing the street.

* Sit in normal meditation posture on the ground and imagine Yin Qi from the earth rising when breathing in and slightly feel it brushing the perineum.

* Write a poem about mother earth. Sing about the flowers, or the earth. In a prayer, address yourself directly to Earth. Love the earth. These things actually ground you believe it or not.

Grounding means not forgetting your roots. Of course there are many other ways, but I like cycling through the above. Lying on the earth in Yoga Shavasana pose and relaxing body part by body part is extremely grounding in my opinion.

• Like 3

I am also interested in grounding techniques.

My contribution is that food grown underground is grounding, so root vegetables.

Ultimately though I think grounding is more about fully integrating your emotional life and traumas and issues so your body is a safe and calm place to inhabit, so you don't feel the need to try to go off anywhere else.

• Like 3

I am also interested in grounding techniques.

My contribution is that food grown underground is grounding, so root vegetables.

Ultimately though I think grounding is more about fully integrating your emotional life and traumas and issues so your body is a safe and calm place to inhabit, so you don't feel the need to try to go off anywhere else.

i think this is exactly what it is, in most instances. this is why getting more grounded can be a deep, lengthy process for those with lots of blockages in the energy body.

good point on the food front. one of the most grounding foods for me would be nuts.

I found my copy of the Gift of the Tao - Disc 1. I will follow that and see how it fits. I also have Sarah Powers Insight Yoga Earth, so I may work on that. I also have Matthew Cohen's Fire and Water Qi Gong, as well as Beginner's Tai Chi. After all that there is Budokon. If a practice clicks with me I will make the time to do it.

I can easily add nuts to my diet.

As far as dropping my conscious dreaming and projection practices, I am not sold yet. It doesn't feel like these are something I want to eliminate. Although I can see how practicing these is certainly going to take one's focus away from the physical world.

I found that bit about people's auras fascinating, but a little beyond the scope of my current studies.

I guess I have to figure out what being grounded or rooted means to me. I will have to look over my notes and spend some time with this.

More later I think...

Edited by DreamBliss
  • Like 1

I found my copy of the Gift of the Tao - Disc 1. I will follow that and see how it fits. I also have Sarah Powers Insight Yoga Earth, so I may work on that. I also have Matthew Cohen's Fire and Water Qi Gong, as well as Beginner's Tai Chi. After all that there is Budokon. If a practice clicks with me I will make the time to do it.

I can easily add nuts to my diet.

As far as dropping my conscious dreaming and projection practices, I am not sold yet. It doesn't feel like these are something I want to eliminate. Although I can see how practicing these is certainly going to take one's focus away from the physical world.

I found that bit about people's auras fascinating, but a little beyond the scope of my current studies.

I guess I have to figure out what being grounded or rooted means to me. I will have to look over my notes and spend some time with this.

More later I think...

It is not necessary to quit your practices of projection and the like. Just take care to lower your vibration to one that is natural and to do it frequently enough that you and your body are in good communion. Running a constantly high vibration will be hard on your body and create discord at some point - this is particularly hard on a male body.

Specifically - wake up and make a point of being IN your body. The hot shower with a long cold shot will do that. Qi Gong will also bring you into the body - I would suggest movements in Qi Gong. Fill the Lower Dan Tien and be in it.

Fill yourself with the Suns energy and the smell of the outdoors. Breath in deep and low.

Edited by Spotless

I guess I have to figure out what being grounded or rooted means to me.

Being grounded and rooted means Earth and Metal element. Metal is crystallization inside Earth due to high pressure. Earth and Metal means solidity and gravity, weightiness.

In human life means being rooted in the material world, with the feet on ground. This is metaphorically speaking not like in the taichi being empty footed and running in the grass.

Now being rooted in the material world means being in your body, your organs as meat organs, your bones and muscles and tendons. Not Qi, not energy not aura not anything like that. Qi and aura are the wind and fire elements, but wind and fire creates Space/Akasha inside your body and gives the high sensation, rootlessness, flying, dreaming and all that stuff that are considered "Spiritual" and just the opposite to the material and Earth plane. 

That person who said to you to be more grounded meant to quit dreaming and meditating and all that stuff that disconnects you from the planet Earth and start doing business, money, be more concerned by what you eat as in meat fats and bones and be active with your body, and start doing stuff, material stuff.

In my humble opinion, of course.  :)

• Like 1

I know spotless did mention it already but cold showers are the thing.Switching between hot and cold and relaxing instead of resisting the cold are a great practice.Swimming in lakes or rivers is even better.Also laying on a hard surface or the earth.No practices bit doing natural things that require you to relax.

I may get into details later, but to keep it simple I received advice that I need get grounded, or be rooted. I recalled that someone here at this forums advised the same thing. I confess I wasn't really listening then, but I am listening now.

How does one go about getting grounded? What kinds of practices are there, besides meditation?

As always, I appreciate your help. I think I will come back and give more details as to why I am asking this later.

Easiest way is to just be aware of your toes.wiggle them and feel each and every one of them. Keep your mind on your feet and toes. That will bring the energy down.

• Like 3

I won't be getting into the details I mentioned. It would take too long and I just don't feel like talking.The gist of it was I started studying the tarot again, and had received some cards that emphasized I should ground myself.

Thank you for all your posts.

So what does being "fully" grounded feel like? And is there a limit to it? Can you become too grounded?

And how much grounding is necessary?

So what does being "fully" grounded feel like? And is there a limit to it? Can you become too grounded?

And how much grounding is necessary?

When one is advised to be more grounded, it implies that they are starting from a point of being "un-grounded" - unstable, fragile, flighty, unrealistic, disconnected, out of touch, etc... By fully grounded, I would say the meaning is to be balanced - stable, comfortable, in touch, consistent. Is there a limit to one's degree of grounding? I guess you could say perfect balance is the limit, going beyond that tips you into the negative aspect of the earth element. Yes, one can be too grounded - too heavy, too fixated, sluggish, bogged down, inflexible, etc... The degree of necessary grounding is that which brings one into balance.

The Tibetans define 5 elements - earth (grounded), water, fire, air, and space. Each has its own characteristics. Knowing these characteristics and how they manifest in the body, speech, and mind is a very helpful way to assess balance and is the foundation for Tibetan healing methods, as well as life force, and soul retrieval practices.

Edited by steve
  • Like 1

There are at least three meanings to this word "grounding" and people mixed them and create so much confusion.

1. Grounding means to have an "earthly" existence a more materialistic life style as oposed to "celestial or heavenly" existence which means a spiritual lifestyle.

2. Grounding may mean as electrical grounded, this idea comes from a guy who wrote a book about "Earthing" which means we need to charge with free electrons from the ground exactly the same as any electrical device that is electrically grounded. which is a good thing but it has its limits like you can do that only in summer and only when is sunny.

3. Taichi or fighting grounding which has a totally different meaning than the other meanings, it means to ground the force just as a building structure that is burried into the ground. Mechanical stresses travel through structures like beams and trusses in a similar fashion like fluids, they have intensities and direction of flows, any engineer with higher education knows that. This concept Jin as a force that travels through body muscles and bones was discovered a long time ago by Taichi players (which actually is not quite long time, Taichi is supposed to be just 300 years old at maximum, but these concepts of Jin in my opinion are quite new, not older than 100 years). Anyway in Taichi you are supposed to "ground" the force of the adversary and this can be done by consciously align your own body structure so that the opponent force flows through your bones and sinks into the earth. This concept is taken from civil engineering which was used in architecture as "tensegrity" which means a buidling structure needs to have a "tension" given by its own weight that is dissipated through the structure into the ground and structural "integrity". From here the term was taken by Castaneda and from Castaneda all new age entusiasths including Taichi players in the west.

• Like 1