Samoobramba

Internal Martial Arts & Calistenics

Anybody is combining the IMA practice with the Calistenics?

IMHO it could be a great idea. IMA within a strong body sould work even better.

Calistenics yes or not? Maybe other exercises to strengthen the body? Opinions?

• Like 1

Internal Martial arts is a very broad church indeed and there is really nothing new in the idea of incorporating calisthenics and strength training in the regimen.

• Like 1

Jerry A. Johnson and John Loupos are starting their Taiji workout with specific calisthenics. In Aikido, another internal art, it's common practice as well.

I think it's beneficial to losen up the body prior to any martial arts training, as you will be performing better and prevent injuries.

The question is not what worked for Yang Chengfu, the question is what works for you.

I do both internal martial arts and bodyweight training, it is the core of my bodily practice(s).

I do both internal martial arts and bodyweight training, it is the core of my bodily practice(s).

Same here. I like to think of my weight training as a kind of Hard Qigong (quite in keeping with J.M. Yang's definition of the latter).

However, I don't see Yang Cheng Fu, even Cheng Man Ching, doing Calistenics. :P

These are not the best of examples when discussing the Internal Arts and improved health. Yang Cheng Fu became enormously fat and could not complete the Yang Form without getting short of breath.

Cheng Man Ching was over fond of wine and drank to the extent that his blood pressure went through the roof resulting in heart failure.

Edited by Chang

This Hung Gar form uses the Dynamic Self Resistance or Dynamic Visual Resistance exercise. I like this principles. Some believe (maybe are right) that with this exercises you can train whole body without the needs of weights.

Tid Sin Kuen is also practiced with iron rings stacked on the forearms.

As progress, the rings are replaced with thicker ones.

There are many ways to do this form, and some are very soft, slow, light, heavy, etc, etc.

-VonKrankenhaus

There's no issue, and it's probably a good thing until you're good enough to use proper internals so that you've at least got something to use in a combat situation. As long as it doesn't introduce gross tension, and as long as you don't get addicted to the feeling of strength (which may be detrimental when trying to use no strength with internals).

• Like 2