Sign in to follow this  
Junko

Zen spirit

I love Zen way of looking things even though I am living in westen country.But I feel 'Zen'is everywhere!

• Like 1

Hi Junko :)

About 20 years ago my assistance coach in soccer told me, "your teaching method is so Zen".  I said, "What's Zen?".

That lite a candle in me to understand his comment... and I meandered through Buddhism [close but resistance felt], and then Zen [a strong affinity and long relationship of laughing at text after text].. and suddenly moved on to find Laozi [finally felt a home].    

But the Zen phase still sticks with me at times... here is one story.

You may know the story of Hui Neng and the monks arguing about the 'moving flag'... was it the flag moving or the wind moving... and Hui Neng said:

"It is not the flag that moves, or the wind that moves. It is your mind that moves."

I was explaining this to my friend back then and he just didn't really get it... till one day he was driving me around...

I said, "Take a left"... he said, "you want me to take a left HERE".

I said, "it is not you taking a left nor the car taking a left, but your mind taking a left..."

At that moment, he laughed till tears came out of his eyes and he couldn't stop....  

I asked him what he understood and he said, "I don't  know... but deep down, I understand".   

Such is Zen Spirit

• Like 1

In Zen,they call it 'Sesshin'which is a meditation course most of times,you are just sitting with up right posture for hours and hours getting corrected by a master.

Sign in to follow this