Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

My Life in the Suicide Ranks

When I started my own thead called'What are you eating?'I found out that there is a someone who has diabetes and whose'doctor said to this person not to eat 'nuts'. This person's name is Bascher'from one of Daobums member.Hope this helps!

So awhile ago I posted that I had been diagnosed with diabetes. I went to the doctors and found out I had a 9.1 A1C. It hit me hard. I was 258lbs and overweight, in fact I had lost weight to even get to that point, something like 20lbs. I told people I was going to diet and hopefully I would be able to get rid of it, but everyone I knew that was diabetic said it couldn't be done. It would've been easy for me to fall into that frame of mind where I said, "you're right, I can't control this with my diet" and maybe I did, because I started taking medication that everyone said would help me lose weight and only changed some of my eating habits, but after having severe side effects from the medication, I decided to quit taking it and focus on my diet. (I checked with my doctor before stopping my medication, let me make that clear.)

My doctor wasn't very hopeful that I would lose weight either. He encouraged me to change medication,  I guess he'd seen too many patients that had failed, but I had my mindset on getting rid of my diabetes through my diet. At first I cut down my carbohydrates to no more than 40 a day. It was tough, but I started losing weight, ever so slowly, like a pound and half to a pound a week. I stuck to it for three months, like religiously. I wasn't really watching calories, just carbohydrates, in three months I had lost 18 pounds. I wasn't too certain I had done much with my A1C, but I had it tested and it came back at 5.3, below the 6.0 cut off for Diabetes. I am no longer diabetic. 

I was ecstatic, I mean literally. Look up the word, that was me. I couldn't believe I'd done it. I went back 30 days later and the doctor didn't test me, but I had gained 2lbs. I was still only eating 40 carbs a day, but I was gaining weight so I decided to reduce my calories as well as stay under 40 carbs. It was miserable! I mean really rough. I decided to eat under 1500 calories a day. The first thing I learned was that our stomachs don't grow or shrink, only our appetite changes based on how much we eat. This changed the way I started to look at dieting, because I realized eating healthy foods wasn't enough, it was also how much food I ate.

After thirty days I weighed myself again and I had gone from 232lbs to 219lbs. In a month I had lost 13lbs and I wasn't hungry all the time. My appetite shrunk. I could eat a chicken breast and some broccoli for dinner and that was enough. I could eat regular portions and not feel starved. I am still losing weight. Today I put on the shorts I had worn to bed last month and they fall to my ankles. I can't tell you how good that felt.

If you think I'm telling you this to brag, you're wrong. I'm telling you this because so many people tell you it can't be done! It can be done, you just have to be willing to do it. The one thing I realized about all the people who were diabetic and struggling is that more often than not, they weren't willing to change how much they ate or what they ate. I don't care how good a pill is, it's hard for me to believe that pill alone is going to make everything better.

So if you're struggling with your health, whether it's diabetes, obesity, or anything else, I think the most important lesson I've learned is that it doesn't come free, and it's not easy. It's work, but all those months of hard work are so worth it when you can look down and see your feet. Or when you walk and realize your knees aren't hurting anymore. It's amazing how great you can feel.

I'm not done. I'm going to keep working on losing weight. I'm going to continue to eat healthy and manage my carbs and calories. Even when I get to my goal weight of 185lbs I'm going to keep working, because I don't want to be the person I was. I want to be an example for others, to say, "hey here's where I was and here's where I am" and when people ask how I did it, I can say, "just do what I'm doing." And maybe my life can be the lesson, rather than all of these words.  

Congratulations !

This is a lesson that can be transferred to many things - it is nearly impossible for most people to give up their favorite "comfort foods" and intake habits. This is why we do not Awaken. We are entirely addicted to our positions, morality, politics and judgements.

We would gladly sleep on a bed of nails rather than give them up.

In India fasting and other means are the way to do what you did - rid yourself of Diabetes - bravo to you!

• Like 4

Very timely for me too.   

From the title I wasn't sure it was going to be a happy story.

Thanks Aaron.

Very inspiring story, thank you Aaron.  Too many people just listen to the sentences given out glibly by the doctors and don't have the confidence to challenge them.  Well done to you!, and good luck with the rest of your diet plan.  There is something very empowering about losing weight, and the skills we learn can be transferred to so many different situations.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the kind words. My goal is to change my life in a way where I can be in harmony with my body, mind, and spirit. I don't have all the answers, but I believe it begins with looking within and then taking what I learn and effecting harmony with the world around me. If I can do that, I think I can be the wordless teacher, the guy who you see, who doesn't have to say a thing, but you want to live like them. There aren't many like that today. 

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this