Marblehead

Introduction

Hi Folks,

This sub-forum was created for the purpose of helping the new members get their feet on the ground and get immediate feed-back from our members.

Dawei and Wilfred were discussing possibilities and asked me to join the discussion.

Reasoning:  When a person applies for membership some make very good posts and make worthy statements or ask good valid questions.

Not too many members read or respond to a Newcomer's initial post as oftentimes the statements/questions are lost in space.

It would be helpful to new members if they got immediate responses to their post.

There has been some recent help from others after I make my Welcoming post and I appreciate that.

Let's see if we can make the welcome process more effective and get the new members immediately involved in various discussions.

I don't know for sure how I will work this but I'm sure I will get some good guidance along the way.

Thanks,

Marblehead

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 8

It's not really clear what this forum is for, there is already a forum for "introducitons" of sort. Is this forum here for questions that were often asked in those introduciton but were never answered because they were not exposed?

• Like 2

Does this mean, that new members are encouraged to bring up questions or other topics worthy of discussion here rather than in their initial post in the welcome forum?

• Like 2

Does this mean, that new members are encouraged to bring up questions or other topics worthy of discussion here rather than in their initial post in the welcome forum?

Yes.  And I will even cut and paste some that I think might be cause for a good discussion, hopefully with the new member involved in the discussion.

• Like 3

yes the intro is supposed to be relatively brief with no real dialogue around it. if people want to share their full stories (as they often do) and get immediate input from other members, strike up discussion around it, this is the place to do it.

we hope this encourages new users to dive into more of a discussion before potentially hitting the other sections, extending their welcome so to speak. there are many posters who don't make it past the initial introduction, so this is designed to get newcomers more active and comfortable with the forum.

• Like 5

I would hope that the Moderation Team would enforce the rules and guiding principles more stringently here than in other sections.

• Like 2

Just thinking out loud. Maybe pm the terms and conditions so that the thread is just their intro and then Marblehead's response?

• Like 1

It could be possible to just give newcomers a special insignia on their posts when they post in the different discussion areas.

For example, people that are within 2 months or so, the heading of their threads could have a colorful symbol next to it

Edited by MooNiNite

the background to the idea comes from the fact that we have a high rate of members with less than 5 posts... and they disappear forever.  

So this was thought up to be a safe place for someone new... their threads wouldn't compete with the wide-openness of General or subject to Owner's Permission issues.

I'm not sure it's such a good idea but it is the best we came up with  :D

• Like 1

That comment was funny for me considering some of my past personal experiences.

• Like 1

Whoops, somehow I put this in the wrong spot.  sorry.

Where to start.. 

Start on your butt.  Sitting quietly, that tends to be a constant in most arts.  Gain the ability to quiet the mind.  Try to keep it quiet throughout the day, using thoughts as tools when needed, keeping it out of consciousnesses (that word made it past the spell checker!). 

As a beginner take time to explore whats out there.  You don't need to be too exotic, certainly not as a beginner.  See what connects to you.  Some systems are standing, some simple movements, some complex, other chant.. some are very cerebral others are all about awareness.  As with many arts, a great teacher is gold; better a great teacher on simple standing then a mediocre one with a complicated system.  Exceptional teaching transcends any particular art. 

Do some research but don't go too crazy, doing is more important then exploring.  There's a time to flirt and time to get serious. 

I mostly sit (influenced by Ya Mu's Stillness Movement practice), but I have bed practices- Wim Hof and yogic breathing, shower practice IHVH chanting, heck in the washroom I like Kap's Secret Smile when standing and Kunlun (occasionally) when sitting (particularly late at night) .. there are 2 or 3 chi gung forms I like.

Edited by thelerner

the background to the idea comes from the fact that we have a high rate of members with less than 5 posts... and they disappear forever.  

So this was thought up to be a safe place for someone new... their threads wouldn't compete with the wide-openness of General or subject to Owner's Permission issues.

Yeah, but what percentage of those new members just come here to anonymously promote something? and then leave forever, or maybe just get on their real account?

Yeah, but what percentage of those new members just come here to anonymously promote something? and then leave forever, or maybe just get on their real account?

The ones who come for the right purposes, will find interest and stay. I bet you guys are just looking at puppets.

We look at whether the 'introduction' post suggests they are here for the right reason...  Staff spends a tremendous amount of time on new registrations... filtering out puppets, trolls, spammers, etc.   We try to give the benefit of the doubt.

One legitimate reason why new members might post few times beyond their initial mandatory post is that they have joined not to participate is discussion but to gain access to the restricted sections of the forum. Another reason why new members may not choose to participate beyond their first few posts is that they may feel they are treated unnecessarily harshly by some of the frequent flyers here before they've even gotten their feet wet. This section is intended to help ameliorate the latter.

• Like 4

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. New members will either use "Newcomer Corner" or they will not.

I rather suspect that it will be the latter. All in all it is rather a Nanny State concept where the feeble hearted can test the water with their big toe before taking the plunge.

• Like 4

The ones who come for the right purposes, will find interest and stay. I bet you guys are just looking at puppets.

I'm not looking for puppets.  I have approved membership for a couple who I knew in my heart I shouldn't approve but I had no reason at the time to disapprove their membership request.

In my mind, everyone gets a first chance to be nice.  That's part of being an Anarchist.

I have no power here except for approving/disapproving new membership requests.  And that's good, I think, as there is no pressure for me as there would be for a Moderator doing that job.  If I mess up the Moderators get to clean up after me.

This forum would be boring if we didn't have our Flat Earthers.  How boring would life be without any challenges?

• Like 2

One legitimate reason why new members might post few times beyond their initial mandatory post is that they have joined not to participate is discussion but to gain access to the restricted sections of the forum. Another reason why new members may not choose to participate beyond their first few posts is that they may feel they are treated unnecessarily harshly by some of the frequent flyers here before they've even gotten their feet wet. This section is intended to help ameliorate the latter.

So should these so called frequent flyers not engage the newcomers in this forum, or should they simply be more lenient in this forum?

So should these so called frequent flyers not engage the newcomers in this forum, or should they simply be more lenient in this forum?

It really matters not as I cannot see this new section getting much use.

The idea of a paddling pool in which poor swimmers can test the water is well intentioned but that is all that can be said for it.

• Like 2

It really matters not as I cannot see this new section getting much use.

The idea of a paddling pool in which poor swimmers can test the water is well intentioned but that is all that can be said for it.

Please don't expect miracles.

This water hasn't even been tested yet.

We may want to bait it with some good thought provoking threads.

ie, Why did you join?

What do you hope to get out of it?

What would the perfect spiritual forum look like?

Do you have a special talent or skill?  Something you've worked on for decades?

What is the one important thing?

Da Bums Coffee (& Te) Clique Cafe, sit, gripe, write great thoughts, repeat.

• Like 2