Wells

books of rainbow body Dzogchen masters

All termas by nyala Pema duddul Him and may of his disciples manifested rainbowbody

All termas by dudjom lingpa especially his choed terma (13of his disciples attained rainbow body through practicing this terma)

Lineages connected with vimalamitra

Etc.

• Like 1

Keith is one of my teachers I'm very grateful to him for his guidance

But I have to say that I like Richard Barron's translation more

"The precious treasury of the basic space of phenomena"

Its closer to the Tibetan original in my view

Keith's translations are usually more "emotive" he tries to capture the feel of what is transmitted (that results in some deviations from the Tibetan sometimes)

Best just read both versions next to each other

Its a central text that combines essential points of semde longde mengagde

Its one of the text that is considered a dharmakaya guru (when one is ready for retreat - then this text can be the guide)

Best is of course to have transmission, but then those works are freely available so I guess just read them as you please ;)

• Like 2

Masters of the Zhang Zhung Nyengyud - Pith instructions of the 24 masters of the experiential transmission of the Zhang Zhung Nyengyud, all of whom are said to have manifested the jalus.

Heart Essence of the Khandro - Similar book presenting pith instructions of female lineage masters of the Bön. Don't recall specifically if any of them were said to manifest the jalus but their instructions are very similar to the male masters.

The Little Luminous Boy - Primarily historical description of Bönpo masters, some of whom manifested the jalus.

• Like 2

Did at least many of his students achieve rainbow body then?

If not, then his works have no reason to be listed here!

Of course.

And lol.

Edited by DiamondEyE

All Vima Nyingtik

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Vima_Nyingtik http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Tsik_Sum_N%C3%A9_Dek http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Six_Experiences_of_Meditation

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Seven_Nails

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Four_Means_of_Abiding

Vimalamitra spent thirteen years in Tibet, and then, promising to return to Tibet every hundred years as an emanation to further the Clear Light teaching of Dzogpachenpo, he left for the Wutai Shan mountain in China. There he remains, in the rainbow body, the ‘Body of Great Transference’, and there he will remain until all of the 1002 buddhas of this Fortunate Kalpa have appeared. When they have all done so, he will once again go to Vajrasana in India, where he will manifest the state of complete and perfect enlightenment.

I'm a big Vimalamitra fan so that's why I'm encouraged to try my best to do similar practice. Like meditating on the above final teachings of body of light compassion. You can find translations. Also anything by the Great Chetsun !!

http://www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia.com/en/index.php/Chetsun_Senge_Wangchuk

• Like 2

Yes chetsun nyingthik is a good terma to receive as well - but not easy to receive

Also nyala Pema dudduls termas and nyala changchub dorjes termas (CH

Namkhai norbus root master, who attained jalü)

Also I agree with diamond eye: the vima nyinghtik is essential as well as khandro nyingthik, lama yangtik etc.

These initiations are still available in an unbroken lineage and in India not too difficult to receive

Good luck with your study and practice

• Like 2

From "Mind in the Balance -Alan Wallace"

is said that thirteen of Düdjom Lingpa’s disciples manifested the rainbow body at their deaths, indicating what an extraordinarily effective teacher he must have been. More currently, in June 2000, I had the privilege of serving as the interpreter for Penor Rinpoche, the former head of the Nyingma order of Tibetan Buddhism, and on that occasion he commented that he personally knew of six Tibetan contemplatives during his lifetime who manifested the rainbow body when they died. All of these occurred in Tibet. Over the past decade, I’ve heard of several Tibetan adepts whose bodies diminished in size to only two or three feet in length when they died, with all the proportions of the body remaining the same. These include the late Panchen Lama, a lama named Geshe Lamrimpa who lived in Drepung monastery in Lhasa, and another lama who lived in Dzamthang monastery in eastern Tibet. A fourth lama who manifested this degree of the rainbow body outside of Tibet was Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, who lived in Kathmandu, Nepal.52 In all these cases, eyewitnesses reported that at death, these lamas’ bodies shrank down to the size of a small child but retained the proportions and features of an adult.

Bolding is mine.

Books by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche:

http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Painting-Collection-Miscellaneous-Development/dp/9627341223

http://www.amazon.com/Quintessential-Dzogchen-Confusion-Dawns-Wisdom/dp/9627341584

http://www.amazon.com/As-It-Is-Vol/dp/9627341355

http://www.amazon.com/As-It-Is-Vol-2/dp/9627341398

Some interesting quotes from some of those books:

Delusion dissolves the very moment you recognize the identity of that which is deluded.

Try to imagine what it’s like when this moment of empty cognizance suffused with awareness starts to last for a full hour, unbroken. The very first moment of empty cognizance already has the potential for full omniscience, as well as the potential for compassion and loving kindness—the potential ability to protect and help other beings, as well as to manifest the activity that functions for the welfare of all. All these qualities are present, but not fully manifest. The longer this duration lasts, the more the qualities become visible, actualized.

Once more, it is not enough to recognize the nature of mind as being empty and cognizant. We have to train in perfecting its strength. The training is to recognize again and again. The moment we recognize undivided empty cognizance, that is rigpa itself. But it is not fully grown—it is not an adult state of rigpa. The level of recognition we are at now is called baby rigpa. It needs to grow up, because at present it is not capable of conducting itself or functioning fully. We need to grow to the level of a human who has “developed the strength,” who has reached the age of seventeen, eighteen, or nineteen, and has become independent and can take care of himself or herself. That is stability. For that to happen, we need to train repeatedly. That is essential!

Yes, honestly, there were more fake lamas in Tibet than authentic ones.

“In the moment of love, the nature of emptiness dawns nakedly.”

The first of these three statements instructs you to “Recognize your own nature” —buddha nature itself, which is “empty cognizance suffused with awareness.” This nature is empty in essence yet naturally cognizant. These two aspects are indivisible, and this unity is also called unconfined capacity. Recognizing your own nature for what it is, is the first of the three words of Garab Dorje.

Edited by Tibetan_Ice
  • Like 3

Since when is a dead body that is shrinking a rainbow? Are there lights emanating from the corpse? I wish the misuse of terms would stop. By incessantly repeating, many believe there are lights as opposed to a shrinking corpse.

• Like 1

Since when is a dead body that is shrinking a rainbow? Are there lights emanating from the corpse? I wish the misuse of terms would stop. By incessantly repeating, many believe there are lights as opposed to a shrinking corpse.

Can you tell me which terms are being misused, and by whose definition? And does it actually matter to you if people see lights as opposed to a rotting corpse? Why?

Can you tell me which terms are being misused, and by whose definition? And does it actually matter to you if people see ligis charts as opposed to a rotting corpse? Why?

I thought I was being obvious. Rainbows are colored lights on the spectrum of light. If there are colored lights, then a rainbow array of colors is appropriately characterized. If one is calling it rainbow with no visible light, therefor that is an improper use of the term.

Edited by ralis

From "Mind in the Balance - Alan Wallace"

Prahevajra allegedly manifested the rainbow body when he left this world, with his physical form dissolving into an orb of light. The mind of such a being who has achieved perfect enlightenment has already dissolved into primordial consciousness, and at death the material constituents of the body dissolve back into the absolute space of phenomena, while the life force dissolves into the energy of primordial consciousness. In rare cases, this complete transference into absolute ground takes place while one is still alive. The mind of one who has achieved the “great transference rainbow body” extends infinitely into all-pervasive primordial consciousness, like water merging with water or space merging with space. All the atoms of the body vanish into the absolute space of phenomena, but one still retains the appearance of a physical body, which can be seen and touched by others. At this point, there is no body or mind that can die—such enlightened beings simply manifest and withdraw the appearance of their bodies in the service of others, but they are no longer subject to either birth or death.

Padmasambhava and Vimalamitra, two great contemplatives in the eighth century who played major roles in bringing Buddhism to Tibet, are said to have manifested the great transference rainbow body. Later lamas said to have achieved this transformation include Chetsün Senge Wangchuk (eleventh to twelfth centuries), Nyenwen Tingdzin Zangpo, and Chetsün Senge Shora, but such accounts are very rare. More common is the realization of the “great rainbow body,” manifested by Prahevajra, in which one’s body vanishes at death like a rainbow disappearing into the sky. Even more common, according to Tibetan accounts, is the realization of the “small rainbow body.” When this occurs, the clear light awareness of the absolute ground arises, emanating the colors of the rainbow from this absolute space, and the material body of the contemplative decreases in size until it finally vanishes without leaving any trace of the body or mind behind. Alternatively, when the clear light of the ground arises at death, the material bodies of some adepts decrease in size for as long as seven days, finally leaving only the residue of their hair and nails behind.5

As the body shrinks it emanates rainbow lights..

Further, as seen from this quote and other writings, there are different classes of rainbow body.

• Like 1

From "Mind in the phenomenonnce - Alan Wallace"

As the body shrinks it emanates rainbow lights..

Further, as seen from this quote and other writings, there are different classes of rainbow body.

Since some are accomplishing it these days, are there photos? Have you seen this phenomenon?

• Like 2

I don't think this will satisfy ralis but anyway that was just recently

A nyinghtik Khenpo in tibet did shrink to the size of a child.

some wondrous signs like mild earthquake, sandal fragrance around the kudung and couple of rainbows in the sky

I saw one picture of a masters robes with no master left inside - that's of course hardly a proof

Anyway I did see and experience a master in tukdam after death - pretty far out already, but I never saw a rainbow body in the sense it is discussed here.

I was told that rainbow body is attained during life - and when the samaya between guru and disciple is pure then the adept will manifest outer signs of accomplishing the rainbowbody after death or during the death process

• Like 2

Don't know if anyone remembers this:

The rainbow which appeared surrounding the Guru Rinpoche temple (the holy body of His Holiness Penor Rinpoche is kept here), the day after the 49th day prayer ceremony - on 23rd May 2009.

• Like 1

I read here, that Longchenpa did not achieve rainbow body and some absurd justification for this.

He seemingly left behind his complete body and therefore did not achieve rainbow body in life or at death.

https://books.google.de/books?id=ikM3BQAAQBAJ&pg=PT284&lpg=PT284&dq=Longchenpa+rainbow+body&source=bl&ots=HIdG2FInMd&sig=dHQ5eNbuX_xpAwSgkiRPpicmaOI&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih3eiV2oHLAhVDGg4KHdIJA0AQ6AEISTAG#v=onepage&q=Longchenpa%20rainbow%20body&f=false

Did at least many of his students achieve rainbow body then?

If not, then his works have no reason to be listed here!

Here is some interesting info on Longchenpa, and it says that he achieved rainbow body "with remainder"..

From Rainbow Painting - Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche

Another example of great accomplishment was Longchen Rabjam. Longchen Rabjam was called a “sky yogi,” as opposed to a “water yogi” or “earth yogi” or “wind yogi.” Sky yogi means that his realization knew no limits in any direction. It was immeasurable, totally inexpressible, beyond analysis or concepts. It is impossible to measure the realization of Longchenpa.

To really fathom the unfathomable wisdom mind of Longchen Rabjam, you would have to be someone like Jigmey Lingpa, or at least like his two chief disciples, the mahasiddhas Tra Drubchen and Do Drubchen. “Drubchen” means mahasiddha. Or, at the very least, you would have to be like their main disciples who lived in the last century during the time of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo, Jamgön Kongtrül, Chokgyur Lingpa, and Paltrül Rinpoche. Longchenpa’s full name was Samantabhadra Appearing in Human Form, the Victorious Sky-Yogi Longchen Rabjam. Longchen Rabjam literally means “all-encompassing vast expanse.” In the term “sky-yogi,” “space” means no center, no edge and no end. Space is not produced by causes and conditions; it has no beginning, no present and no end. “Yogi” literally means “connecting with the real,” in the sense of taking to heart and making it real in one’s experience.

If you want to know more about Longchenpa’s realization, you must read his Seven Treasuries that were all like tantras in themselves. They arose from the indestructible vajra sphere in the center of his heart through his indestructible vajra throat and onto his indestructible vajra tongue. Because of this, his words are indeed indestructible vajra words. When Jigmey Lingpa stayed in strict retreat at Samye Chimphu for three years and three fortnights, he had three consecutive visions of Longchen Rabjam. During these visions, he received from Longchenpa the complete Hearing Lineage, or oral transmission.

When Longchenpa passed away, the earth quaked six times in a row and there were six great claps of thunder. He passed away in the manner called “rainbow body with remainder,” as opposed to rainbow body without remainder. Rainbow body with remainder is more beneficial for other beings, because it leaves behind relics. Among his remains, his brain became one large relic. It was a particular type of relic, called shariram, that was one unbroken piece, white in color, with a design on it in a slightly yellowish hue resembling ivory. When great lamas visited the district of Lhodrak where the relic was kept, they would request a segment of it. Taking a hammer and chisel, they would chip off a piece. Within a year, the missing piece would be regenerated and the brain would resume its original form as a single intact relic.

At Tsurphu, a piece of this relic was kept in the “treasure-chest of sacraments.” My monastery at Dzong-go Ling had a piece of this relic abut the size of a finger-joint. However, at a certain point, the Tibetan government sealed up the treasure-chest and prohibited people from chipping off pieces of Longchenpa’s brain. Then the Chinese came and destroyed the temple where it was kept, so it was probably lost or destroyed. I have not yet heard of anyone having saved or hidden it. Thus, even his physical body was still able to benefit beings for a very long time.

There is nothing like reading longchenpas works and getting teachings on them - probably practicing them is great too but I'll keep that for another lifetime first I'm happy knowing this exists and is still thought to human beings and others

Amazing!! AhLaLaHo!!!

Also I request you to try to receive the nyingthik yabshi empowerments (I think I said that before)

Especially the lama yangtik

The heart of the heart essence teachings, incredible!!!

Those empowerments are among the most powerful formal dzogchen empowerments that still are given in public (in exile at least - in Tibet, very rare to get them, usually only for a select few disciples at a time), in exile like Nepal India Sikkim etc. its possible to receive them more openly

Why do I write about the nyingthik yabshi in the context of longchen rabjam? Well rigpawiki might help I'm too lazy

And concerning longchenpa and his enlightened mind and lineage of transmission - I can just bow down, I know you don't like that, but that's all I can do after all the love and kindness he and his lineage has given me

I'm turned dumb deaf and stupid so I can just bow down

A true Dharmakaya buddha in realisation, writings, words, lifestyle etc. In short a perfect being like shakyamuni buddha

I received teachings and transmissions for some of his resting texts (resting in illusion or "Maya yoga" tib:gyumai ngalso and resting in the nature of mind tib: semnyi ngalso)

And some of his 7 treasuries

Incredible! really incredible teachings and treatises - priceless (you can download them in Tibetan for free, or get them in a bound version for free from Taiwan or at the nyigma monlam in bodhgaya - that priceless they are for tibetans. Well many in the west still milk the dharma, thats how most of us approach it so then we gotta pay for wang, lung, tri in the wildwildwest ;) - sorry for looking down at the Occident + dharma once in a while, I try to get better)

• Like 2