Eric23

Jingui Golden Shield QiGong

Came across a flyer at my local coffee house/cafe advertising for Golden Shield QiGong. They seem to have a national network of teachers. Anybody have knowledge or experience with this system? Thanks.

Came across a flyer at my local coffee house/cafe advertising for Golden Shield QiGong. They seem to have a national network of teachers. Anybody have knowledge or experience with this system? Thanks.

I have an idea.

Why don't you go take a class and tell us what your experience is?

go for it.

does your intuition tell you your encounter with this flyer should bring you to check it out?

if so , go.

If not....

PS - golden sheild sounds like golden bell which is another name for shaolin iron body training.

just my bit of info.

Craig

If it is the Shaolin method, I'd jump on it. Network or no, this is a very rare and powerful Chi Kung that most teachers reserve for disciples. It's the highest level of iron body.

Edit: Found a link.

http://www.goldenshieldqigong.com/

I'd look into the classes. They are describing the real deal.

I wish I could attend.

Edited by nightwatchdog

A former roommate of mine was into this stuff. Last I talked to him he had done everything except the head training. After every part of the body is complete the "energy training" begins. Its some pretty intense stuff. He balanced it with 2 hours of Vipassana meditation daily.

He always had stories about strange things and weird people who were involved in the training. He dated a girl from his class and they would get into monster fights, but calm down after a while and blame it on all the "cleansing of the meridianss" they were going through.

In any case you could punch him or her in the belly and your fist would bounce off. They said it was their "chi firing". They had a bunch of tricks like that to demonstrate their chi. Cool stuff.

I did the same or a very similar Golden Shield QiGong style a few years ago. I enjoyed it. Very yang, a short visualization, rubbing herbal tincture on belly, hitting the belly in a a circular pattern then more tincture rubbing. As time went on you'd go from open hand to fist, hitting increasingly harder as time went on. Breathing out w/ hits ofcourse. The next step was an herbal cured wooden brick to hit your belly with. The advance students hit each other w/ pretty large sticks.

I liked it. Relatively simple. Not as masochistic as it sounds. Awakening and toughing the inner organs. Like Kunlun, serious students were expected to do 100 days of celibacy and get a transmission from the 'top man'. I was only in it for a few months so I didnt' do either.

I think the group is still around the Chicago area. It didn't meet every week which I didn't particularly like. I did get a great guided meditation from them, a Longevity Meditation that is great. I still do a quickie they taught of tapping from the breast bone out along the floating ribs.

Michael

• Like 1

I would love to take up this practice. I've been interested in it for awhile but I live in Providence and there aren't any instructors with an hour or two of my location. The last time I checked the closest instructor was in Philadelphia.

As I understand you're supposed to attend two classes per month once you start. I can travel for a seminar but getting to an instructor in Philadelphia twice a month would be difficult.

I'd love to hear more about Jingui Qigong.

You might be interested in hearing my experience with Jingui golden shield qigong. Well I was recently interested in jingui golden shield and went to watch a local class practice to see if it was for me. Well when I got there I met the teacher and he seemed just solid like a boulder and was very nice, when I shook his hand I could feel a powerful energy, but it also felt raw and kinda unstable. Before the actual practice began, I was allowed to participate in the warm up exercise which involved throwing small bean bags at each other to warm up and develop coordination. It was actually fun, but was weird was that after we stopped, I noticed my heart was beating very hard and fast and almost beating in an abnormal rhythm. At first I just set this aside as normal from having just done a cardio excerise, however this weird abnormal heart beat lasted way longer than it should have and my heart probably didn't even begin to start calming down for about five minutes. The practice began with people sucking in air as hard as they could through their mouth, which was probably an effort to force chi into their system. I guess the practice itself took me by surprise because I wasn't expecting the entire practice to be people hitting themselves as hard as they physically could in different locations to stimulate chi development. Let me also say that the entire time I was watching this, I felt very uncomfortable and had a lot of anxiety, (feelings of anxiety like this are very rare for me, as most the time I am a very calm centered person). This experience reminded me of how Bruce Frantzis describes hard qigongs, he says in his book Opening the Energy Gates that hard qigong can be very powerful and very addicting and very hard on the body to handle. Franztis says his experience with hard qigong made him psychotic for power and eventually he had to make himself stop practicing as it was causing harm to himself and others. Frantzis compared hard qigong to cocain in that it is very powerful and addicting, but eventually the body can't handle it anymore. When I was asking one of the practitioners about how they liked the practice, I actually remember them saying they love it and the power this practice gives becomes very addicting so your constantly trying to hit yourself harder to give that sense of chi power. One more thing that turned me off from this practice was talking to the teacher, I asked him how he got into Jingui qigong, and he said that he saw a demonstration of it and instantly knew that this was what higher human development was; I asked him what the demonstration was and he said it was someone bouncing bricks off their ribs. Hearing this I thought, wow I think there is so much more to higher human potential then the ability to bouce bricks off one's chest :lol: . I tend to have a pretty good intuition and things pretty much always work out for the best when I listen to it, and that day my intuition was going OFF the charts saying, Ben this is NOT for you do not do this, there are way better ways to practice qigong. Actually even after the class, it took me quite a while before that crazy anxiety feeling, (which the only time I ever felt this was at this class), finally passed.

In any event I personally would HIGHLY discourage anyone from practicing this form of qigong. However maybe this is exactly what some people are looking for in qigong, if so I would recommend someone find a very good teacher who can help them practice this as safely as possible, as if done incorrectly I believe these hard qigongs can really do harm to the body. I think I read somewhere that someone actually punctured a lung practicing a form of hard qigong. Well good luck to everyone's practice, if anyone is interested in what I am going to practice, I have found what I am looking for in Michael Lomax's stillness-movement practice, the complete opposite of a forced method and in my opinion an infinitely more effective qigong. Having done the Gift of the Tao DVD, I am very impressed and it is easily the best movement based qigong I have ever done.

Peace and Luck to everyone ^_^

• Like 2

You might be interested in hearing my experience with Jingui golden shield qigong. Well I was recently interested in jingui golden shield and went to watch a local class practice to see if it was for me. Well when I got there I met the teacher and he seemed just solid like a boulder and was very nice, when I shook his hand I could feel a powerful energy, but it also felt raw and kinda unstable. Before the actual practice began, I was allowed to participate in the warm up exercise which involved throwing small bean bags at each other to warm up and develop coordination. It was actually fun, but was weird was that after we stopped, I noticed my heart was beating very hard and fast and almost beating in an abnormal rhythm. At first I just set this aside as normal from having just done a cardio excerise, however this weird abnormal heart beat lasted way longer than it should have and my heart probably didn't even begin to start calming down for about five minutes.

Thanks for posting this!

That sounds like an odd way to warm up. Did they do anything in terms of movement (qigong) before they started sucking in air like that? Also I would expect them to warm up with the qigong itself and then move on to hitting. Weird.

The practice began with people sucking in air as hard as they could through their mouth, which was probably an effort to force chi into their system. I guess the practice itself took me by surprise because I wasn't expecting the entire practice to be people hitting themselves as hard as they physically could in different locations to stimulate chi development. Let me also say that the entire time I was watching this, I felt very uncomfortable and had a lot of anxiety, (feelings of anxiety like this are very rare for me, as most the time I am a very calm centered person). This experience reminded me of how Bruce Frantzis describes hard qigongs, he says in his book Opening the Energy Gates that hard qigong can be very powerful and very addicting and very hard on the body to handle. Franztis says his experience with hard qigong made him psychotic for power and eventually he had to make himself stop practicing as it was causing harm to himself and others. Frantzis compared hard qigong to cocain in that it is very powerful and addicting, but eventually the body can't handle it anymore. When I was asking one of the practitioners about how they liked the practice, I actually remember them saying they love it and the power this practice gives becomes very addicting so your constantly trying to hit yourself harder to give that sense of chi power. One more thing that turned me off from this practice was talking to the teacher, I asked him how he got into Jingui qigong, and he said that he saw a demonstration of it and instantly knew that this was what higher human development was; I asked him what the demonstration was and he said it was someone bouncing bricks off their ribs. Hearing this I thought, wow I think there is so much more to higher human potential then the ability to bouce bricks off one's chest :lol: . I tend to have a pretty good intuition and things pretty much always work out for the best when I listen to it, and that day my intuition was going OFF the charts saying, Ben this is NOT for you do not do this, there are way better ways to practice qigong. Actually even after the class, it took me quite a while before that crazy anxiety feeling, (which the only time I ever felt this was at this class), finally passed.

I appreciate your input. Did it seem like these people knew what they were doing? In other words was there a defined qigong form that went with the practice and did they finish up by gathering and storing the energy in the lower dantien? I'm wondering if maybe they didn't close the practice properly. From your account it sounds like they may not have.

I agree that hard qigongs are not the highest human attainment LOL but they can have their place as long as you have a seperate practice that is comprehensive (you can circulate qi in the microcosmic and macrocosmic orbits, you know how to balance energy in your internal organs, and you understand how to properly close a practice). Actually my teacher has several Emei hard qigongs including one for iron palm and another for iron body. I have yet to learn those but what interested me about Jingui was that there were supposed to be higher levels after you finish the Iron Torso, Legs, Arms, and Head. I thought it might get more internal at higher levels.

In any event I personally would HIGHLY discourage anyone from practicing this form of qigong. However maybe this is exactly what some people are looking for in qigong, if so I would recommend someone find a very good teacher who can help them practice this as safely as possible, as if done incorrectly I believe these hard qigongs can really do harm to the body. I think I read somewhere that someone actually punctured a lung practicing a form of hard qigong. Well good luck to everyone's practice, if anyone is interested in what I am going to practice, I have found what I am looking for in Michael Lomax's stillness-movement practice, the complete opposite of a forced method and in my opinion an infinitely more effective qigong. Having done the Gift of the Tao DVD, I am very impressed and it is easily the best movement based qigong I have ever done.

Peace and Luck to everyone ^_^

I agree that hard qigongs are inherently dangerous. They are just a side method - assuming you already have a comprehensive practice - and they have to be handled with care. I wouldn't be doing Jingui as my primary or only method of cultivation.

Thanks for posting this!

That sounds like an odd way to warm up. Did they do anything in terms of movement (qigong) before they started sucking in air like that? Also I would expect them to warm up with the qigong itself and then move on to hitting. Weird.

The first thing they did directly after the interesting warm up was the air sucking. There was no movement qigong of any kind, the sole practice was hitting themselves.

I appreciate your input. Did it seem like these people knew what they were doing? In other words was there a defined qigong form that went with the practice and did they finish up by gathering and storing the energy in the lower dantien? I'm wondering if maybe they didn't close the practice properly. From your account it sounds like they may not have.

It did seem like the people doing it knew what they were doing and had been doing it for some time, the teacher was only there to give input. There was no defined qigong form, only the the physical hitting, thats why I thought it was such a strange qigong. I had expected an actual qigong movement and maybe at certain points in development there would be some physical stimulation. I was asked to leave at the end of the class because the teacher was going to lead them through some kind of closing meditation, this probably was their closing.

I agree that hard qigongs are not the highest human attainment LOL but they can have their place as long as you have a seperate practice that is comprehensive (you can circulate qi in the microcosmic and macrocosmic orbits, you know how to balance energy in your internal organs, and you understand how to properly close a practice). Actually my teacher has several Emei hard qigongs including one for iron palm and another for iron body. I have yet to learn those but what interested me about Jingui was that there were supposed to be higher levels after you finish the Iron Torso, Legs, Arms, and Head. I thought it might get more internal at higher levels.

I asked the teacher what the higher level practice was and he did say it was more internal than the previous levels, he said more meditation. I would never even consider though pursuing this style of qigong, just my opinion though, I am sure some people can benefit from this practice.

I agree that hard qigongs are inherently dangerous. They are just a side method - assuming you already have a comprehensive practice - and they have to be handled with care. I wouldn't be doing Jingui as my primary or only method of cultivation.

If you did do jingui along with another form, I would make sure to ask your teacher if jingui would be compatible with the otehr form you would do because I think some hard forms don't mix to well with the softer ones, but I really don't know

• Like 1

This is interesting. The only iron body methods I knew had to do with the elements and were just asanas.

They didn't work tooo much on how much energy you had, rather how long you could hold that asana. It didn't take physical conditioning either.

Although if it were a wood asana someone could hit you with a wood bat and you'd be fine. If it were Metal, you'd have trouble.

The others asanas for other elements were taught to longer trained students.

If Jingui isn't golden bell and is more inner alchemy, then yea that sounds pretty awesome.

If you ever get a chance I say work towards it.

The first thing they did directly after the interesting warm up was the air sucking. There was no movement qigong of any kind, the sole practice was hitting themselves.

It did seem like the people doing it knew what they were doing and had been doing it for some time, the teacher was only there to give input. There was no defined qigong form, only the the physical hitting, thats why I thought it was such a strange qigong. I had expected an actual qigong movement and maybe at certain points in development there would be some physical stimulation. I was asked to leave at the end of the class because the teacher was going to lead them through some kind of closing meditation, this probably was their closing.

In my experience the closing portion of any practice is the most important. If I were teaching qigong I would not want anyone to leave without doing the closing. If they didn't want to show you the closing then they shouldn't have had you there in the first place.

I asked the teacher what the higher level practice was and he did say it was more internal than the previous levels, he said more meditation. I would never even consider though pursuing this style of qigong, just my opinion though, I am sure some people can benefit from this practice.

I've heard that there are a few advanced moving forms later in the system. Not sure though.

If you did do jingui along with another form, I would make sure to ask your teacher if jingui would be compatible with the otehr form you would do because I think some hard forms don't mix to well with the softer ones, but I really don't know

I agree that not all practices are compatible. I would talk to my teacher about it first.

I do not know if it is at all similar, but the Steel Shirt training I used to do in Yang Mian was awesome. It made me very healthy and taught my body to get very soft.

It had lots of hitting the body within it.

It seemed to give my defensive/protective chi a massive boost and my stress tolerance went way up.

It was actually a great adjunct to the water method meditations I was doing at the time...

• Like 1

taught my body to get very soft.

The jingui I saw makes your body hard. One of the practitioners told he to hit him in the chest where he had trained and it felt like hitting a rock, even though he was an old man with a big belly and said he never did any chest exercises. The teacher at the class seemed solid like a boulder. If thats the results you want then Jingui is probably great for you, however I want more of an internal practice to generate energy at a safe and efficient manner.

• Like 1

Like Kunlun, serious students were expected to do 100 days of celibacy and get a transmission from the 'top man'. I was only in it for a few months so I didnt' do either.

100 days... I did two years. :excl:

Hwasang Mahayana how are the days in heaven?

Have you donned the inner armor of a monastic lifestyle?

Hwasang Mahayana The excellent robes of ordination await you and, once you have donned the inner armor how well can you guard the senses?

Currently in Shamabala Boulder Colorado talking about Nam Cho and flying craft from a different world.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2010 at 1:02 PM, surfingbudda said:

You might be interested in hearing my experience with Jingui golden shield qigong...

Came across this old post. Wanted to give my experience as a long-time practitioner of this lineage. I feel that this practice is largely misunderstood in the thread. The first few levels of JinGui are made to prepare the body-mind to hold a large reservoir or qi and clean out stagnation. I wouldn't consider the practice extremely mystical, though it has many mystical components. The results are permanent, and never go away once you seal each level. The biggest thing I tell folks who are new to the system is that we are not training to be able to bounce bricks off our ribs or smash tiles with our legs (though those things are definitely fun), we do those things to develop and optimize the way the cells work together. Also as you become more and more visually resilient it increases the feeling of winning in your everyday life which, with the optimized body, enables you to do whatever you want in life. The practice has been essential to my mid-20s. I was an anxious mess when I started, had no energy, no sex drive, and was stuck in my head. This practice first cleared me out, then made me a human. Back never hurts anymore, half my chronic injuries healed themselves, and I never get sick. Society values me as well, which is a nice plus. Every energy worker I go to says my energy body is extremely full. I still have things to work on, and there are some weakness of gaining a lot of power over a short time, but I feel the impact on health and longevity is worth it. 

To sum up my point, this is a FIRE practice. It's not a deep mystical tradition, it's more of a very effective intermediate practice to get your "vessel" in order so that you can actually compete in the realm of a deep WATER mystical tradition. Take this metaphor: lets say you were given a boat. It was an average boat and maybe it had some things wrong with it. You'd probably want to fix your boat and upgrade it before you put up big new sails right? Otherwise you'll just get thrown around by the wind.

• Like 6

On 25/10/2017 at 8:03 PM, wildebeestdingo said:

Came across this old post. Wanted to give my experience as a long-time practitioner of this lineage. I feel that this practice is largely misunderstood in the thread. The first few levels of JinGui are made to prepare the body-mind to hold a large reservoir or qi and clean out stagnation. I wouldn't consider the practice extremely mystical, though it has many mystical components. The results are permanent, and never go away once you seal each level. The biggest thing I tell folks who are new to the system is that we are not training to be able to bounce bricks off our ribs or smash tiles with our legs (though those things are definitely fun), we do those things to develop and optimize the way the cells work together. Also as you become more and more visually resilient it increases the feeling of winning in your everyday life which, with the optimized body, enables you to do whatever you want in life. The practice has been essential to my mid-20s. I was an anxious mess when I started, had no energy, no sex drive, and was stuck in my head. This practice first cleared me out, then made me a human. Back never hurts anymore, half my chronic injuries healed themselves, and I never get sick. Society values me as well, which is a nice plus. Every energy worker I go to says my energy body is extremely full. I still have things to work on, and there are some weakness of gaining a lot of power over a short time, but I feel the impact on health and longevity is worth it. 

To sum up my point, this is a FIRE practice. It's not a deep mystical tradition, it's more of a very effective intermediate practice to get your "vessel" in order so that you can actually compete in the realm of a deep WATER mystical tradition. Take this metaphor: lets say you were given a boat. It was an average boat and maybe it had some things wrong with it. You'd probably want to fix your boat and upgrade it before you put up big new sails right? Otherwise you'll just get thrown around by the wind.

Hi. Thank you for the info. i would like to know more about it.

Oh man, I love old DB threads. This one is fascinating stuff. My former teacher's brother used to do stuff like hitting himself with bricks, but used to make me quite squeamish. Interesting that there's whole systems out there dedicated to this sort of thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are some Golden Shield instructors here in Austin, TX. I mentioned to my instructor that this thread got bumped up again. He gave me clearance to post, so if anyone has any questions I might be able to answer them.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2020 at 7:43 PM, EFreethought said:

There are some Golden Shield instructors here in Austin, TX. I mentioned to my instructor that this thread got bumped up again. He gave me clearance to post, so if anyone has any questions I might be able to answer them.

I was trying to practice, but brazilian customs does not permited the entrance of the didatjow in the country!

5 hours ago, moreira Filho said:

I was trying to practice, but brazilian customs does not permited the entrance of the didatjow in the country!

My instructor actually mentioned a couple of times there was someone in Brazil who tried to join but could not get the herbs. Small world.

I don't know if any other systems require herbs.

On 9/16/2020 at 3:43 PM, EFreethought said:

Is Golded Shield 金鍾罩 in Chinese?

7 hours ago, moreira Filho said:

1 hour ago, EFreethought said:

My instructor actually mentioned a couple of times there was someone in Brazil who tried to join but could not get the herbs. Small world.

I am unaware it requires Didatjow(跌打酒) for any practice unless someone got hurt during the training. It acts as rubbing alcohol with the exception of herbs and a special Didapill(跌打丸) added submerged in drinking alcohol. It can be homemade and it is ready to be used after a few months.

Edited by Mango

5 hours ago, Mango said:

Is Golded Shield 金鍾罩 in Chinese?

I am unaware it requires Didatjow(跌打酒) for any practice unless someone got hurt during the training. It acts as rubbing alcohol with the exception of herbs and a special Didapill(跌打丸) added submerged in drinking alcohol. It can be homemade and it is ready to be used after a few months.

I do not know what characters are used to write "Golden Shield" in Chinese.

WRT didajow: there is a different herb used for all the physical levels. Some you rub onto your body, some you soak your feet or hands in, others you add to water. I do not think any of them are didajow in particular. The head master is also a Chinese herbalist.

I have only done two levels and I am not an instructor, so there are a lot of questions I do not know the answer to.

• Thanks 1

On 19/10/2022 at 4:18 PM, EFreethought said:

Yes. Here i am! i will try again soon. trying a differente form of sending things! I find the system in 2011 and since then tryied to have instructions on it, but can not afford the need to continuous going to USA to practice. If i can not send the herbs, i will try to go to USA (if the Brazilian  economics helps)  next year and brought it with me in the returning. 

What is your felling about the practice, as a long term student? 

On 19/10/2022 at 11:26 PM, EFreethought said:

I do not know what characters are used to write "Golden Shield" in Chinese.

WRT didajow: there is a different herb used for all the physical levels. Some you rub onto your body, some you soak your feet or hands in, others you add to water. I do not think any of them are didajow in particular. The head master is also a Chinese herbalist.

I have only done two levels and I am not an instructor, so there are a lot of questions I do not know the answer to.

How many months did you need to finish the first leve? 

17 hours ago, moreira Filho said:

How many months did you need to finish the first leve? 

Belly took about a year and a half. The instructor said that if COVID had not happened we would have been done sooner.

Next I did legs, and that also took a year and a half.