cheya

Beyond Ben Gay: Wan Hua Oil

The info below on Wan Hua oil is excerpted from an article by acupuncturist Dr. Harvey Kaltsas.

The entire article covers a number of Chinese liniments. I found the article researching Dupuytrens contracture for a client, and was surprised at how useful this particular liniment sounded, as Kaltsas mentioned it for a wide variety of ailments.

So I got some Wan Hua from Amazon, as it's not quite common enough for the local Asian stores to carry it. The other day I had an ache from an overstretch session at the chiro's, and after a few hours of annoyance, thought to rub a few drops of Wan Hua on the owie. To my total surprise, the ache just vanished! 

Anyway, thought some bums might find this useful, and be interested in an acupuncturist's experience with the other Chinese medicinal preparations Kaltsas covers. So here's what he says about Wan Hua:

"Wan Hua Oil

Wan Hua Oil is antiseptic, resolves pus, and is excellent for softening and removing hardened masses, especially after a traumatic injury. It is haemostatic, analgesic, anti- inflammatory, regenerates tissue, eliminates swelling and disperses stasis and relaxes tendons. It is effective in treating traumatic injuries, bleeding from cuts, and scalding. It is used for injuries from falls, hammer and wrench blows, for stanching bleeding, relieving pain, diminishing inflammation, engendering flesh, dispersing swelling, and dissipating stasis.

Because there is no alcohol in this formula, it can be applied to open wounds.3 Because it is used as an antiseptic to open wounds, be sure to maintain the purity of the bottle.

I have personally used it to with good results to dissolve sebaceous cysts and fatty tumors and tto treat Dupuytren's contractions of the palmar fascia. For these cases I have the patients soak a gauze pad which has a waterproof backing with Wan Hua Oil. I instruct them to place it on the afflicted area, and leave it on overnight, usually for several weeks.

Probably owing greatly to the influence of its carthamus (Hong Hua), the Wan Hua Oil moves the blood and brakes up blood stasis. The other plant oils in it also serve to provide added lubrication. This is especially helpful when treating Dupuytren’s contraction which occurs when the tendons in the palm stick to the tendon sheaths inside which they are supposed to slide smoothly. The Wan Hua Oil works to moisten these tendon sheaths, relieve the contractions, and allow the fingers to open and close without catching."

http://www.hkacup.com/uploads/4/5/1/0/45101541/beyond_ben_gay-a.pdf

• Like 8

i play with jows. the three i have on my shelf now are

http://seaofchi.com/Martial-Training-305/Dit-Da-Jows-Iron-Palm-311/Dit-Da-Jow-Bak-Fu-Pai%E2%80%99s-Coconut-Break-premade-iron-palm-N318oz

this is my third bottle from seaofchi. i like the formula and have also used the same formula brewed by other people too. i play with coconut and this seemed an obvious choice.

http://seaofchi.com/Martial-Training-305/Dit-Da-Jows-Iron-Palm-311/Dit-Da-Jow-Clouds-in-Heaven-Jow-premade-8oz-bottle-313

this feels wonderful on contact and hands/palms get all clouds in heavenly.

http://seaofchi.com/Martial-Training-305/Dit-Da-Jows-Iron-Palm-311/dit-da-jow-Big-Hand-premade-FOBH8OZ

this one when i put on my hands felt weird (especially at first) and i have slowly started using it more. today the weird feeling wasnt noticable. after play the hands do feel good and changed. i like that part of it. i can tell the hands are enhanced.

maybe i had the weird feeling becoz there are more than just herbs in this formula. "The inclusion of pit viper in this prescription makes for one powerful jow, as well as the addition of deer tendon, rou cong rong, xue jie, tu bei chong, pig bone, pipe fish, etc." the more i use it the more i like it

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2

Any use for this on neuropathy of the legs with burning hips?  Although I noticed on Zerostao's links it says not to rub the jows into the torso.  But it does mention anti-inflammatory, so maybe this would be a use?

Hi Manitou,

If you're asking me, the author's article linked above doesn't mention neuropathy for any of the herbal formulations he discusses, and I don't know of any myself. Perhaps Zerostao or Gerard know of something that might help. 

Is the neuropathy diabetes related?

i play with jows. the three i have on my shelf now are

http://seaofchi.com/Martial-Training-305/Dit-Da-Jows-Iron-Palm-311/Dit-Da-Jow-Bak-Fu-Pai’s-Coconut-Break-premade-iron-palm-N318oz

this is my third bottle from seaofchi. i like the formula and have also used the same formula brewed by other people too. i play with coconut and this seemed an obvious choice.

http://seaofchi.com/Martial-Training-305/Dit-Da-Jows-Iron-Palm-311/Dit-Da-Jow-Clouds-in-Heaven-Jow-premade-8oz-bottle-313

this feels wonderful on contact and hands/palms get all clouds in heavenly.

http://seaofchi.com/Martial-Training-305/Dit-Da-Jows-Iron-Palm-311/dit-da-jow-Big-Hand-premade-FOBH8OZ

this one when i put on my hands felt weird (especially at first) and i have slowly started using it more. today the weird feeling wasnt noticable. after play the hands do feel good and changed. i like that part of it. i can tell the hands are enhanced.

maybe i had the weird feeling becoz there are more than just herbs in this formula. "The inclusion of pit viper in this prescription makes for one powerful jow, as well as the addition of deer tendon, rou cong rong, xue jie, tu bei chong, pig bone, pipe fish, etc." the more i use it the more i like it

Pit Viper venom?

No, not diabetes related.  Very small openings through which the nerves pass, for which he's had laminectomies.  But the nerve damage has been done.

Hi Liminal,

This one might be worth a try:

Dr. Kaltsas, in the same article linked above, writes:

"Wu Yang Brand Plaster for Bruise and Analgesic

Wu Yang Brand Plaster for Bruise and Analgesic is analgesic. Its warm/cool effect clears the surface and promotes blood flow. It penetrates into the subcutaneous tissue to stimulate circulation and create an analgesic effect. It helps to cure inflamed muscles and to promote healing of bone fractures. It is used for bruises, fractures, sprains, swelling and pains, poor circulation of blood, injuries and wounds, rheumatic arthritis, neuralgia, and weak limbs.

This plaster saved my honeymoon after I broke two ribs skiing and was also of great solace after a car accident when I suffered from two herniated lumbar discs.

My elderly patients love it and contact me from all over the world to get more. They swear by it to treat their aches and pains. Fortunately it is mild enough so that it usually does not provoke skin rashes. However, some patients with sensitive skin do get rashes so be observant the first few times you or they apply it, I tell patients to leave it on for four to six hours at first to see if redness develops. If not, I tell them to wear it overnight. Otherwise they’ll be the center of attention where ever they go in the daytime as it does smell distinctly like Christmas.

For some reason, cats are quite puzzled and put off by the smell of this plaster. I think it is because they sense the pulverized fossilized mastodon bone within the formula, and this must trigger their innate, prehistoric fears of getting stepped on by woolly mammoths.

One great feature of this plaster is that you can cut it to size; another is that it is often self-adhering, depending upon to which body part you affix it.

Wu Yang Brand Plaster for Bruise and Analgesic contains the following ingredients: Fossilized Ossis Mastodi 10.42%

Eupolyphoasinesis Walker 10.42 Sanguis Draconis 4.17 Catechu 6.25 Myrrha 6.25 Rhizoma Drynariae 4.17 Rhizomi Dipsaci 4.17 Flos Carthami 9.17 Rhizomi Rhei 8.33 Herba Taraxaci 8.33

Mentholum 20.00 Methyl Salicylas 8.32

Wu Yang Brand Plaster for Bruise and Analgesic is made at the United Pharmaceutical Manufactory; Kwangchow, China "

• Like 2