Sign in to follow this  
Oneironaut

What is the importance of certain times of year in the Taoist tradition?

I'm marveled by the deep connection that Taoists and practitioners of qigong have with nature, animals and the times of year. I see that the solstices, equinox, eclipses, moon phases etc. are given special importance. I want to learn more about this and the kinds of Taoist practices/meditations that take place during these times of year. I also want to hear about your experiences. Also, are there any sources that can assist me in familiarizing myself with this and eventually cultivating a deep connection with nature as well?

• Like 1

I think most of the teaching around this is lost, although it's probably one of the most important parts of ancient Taoist practice. The person who still seems to have some legit teaching around this is Wang Liping, he has a book with various meditations to be done at various times of the year depending on when certain energies are more prevailant, such as meditating on the energies of various stars etc.

The book The Yellow Emperors Classic also has generalised information about when Qi is rising and falling and the sort of exercise you should do at certain times of the year.

Edited by Jetsun

I was very interested because there were many Taoists doing their microcosmic orbit practice during last year's super moon. The super moon was quite a fascinating event and the fact that Taoists use natural events for cultivation was equally fascinating.

Thanks for the information. I'll look into those books.

Are your interests and practices during seasonal events and energy surges going to trump the cultivation opportunities in the moments of your daily life? :)

Good point.  It´s not that special meditations and practices at different times of the year don´t have value -- they do.  But that kind of information can not be put to good use without a consistent everyday practice.  My opinion.

• Like 1

There is a great deal that is available on the timing of meditation, ritual, etc., though regular meditation is always the basis of success, however just to give an example off the top of my head, every Thursday is connected with the Planet Jupiter and element wood, but there is also a larger four week cycle of the Lunar Constellations, in which each week corresponds to one of the Four Protective Animals, the Green Dragon, Red Phoenix, the White Tiger and the Black Tortoise, so during Black Tortoise week wood the liver is nourished on Thursday, in Green Dragon it Grows, in Red Phoenix it nourishes heart and other fire aspects and in White Tiger it is Controlled, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.  High level Doists mix and match these cycles and gather harvests in all seasons.

Are your interests and practices during seasonal events and energy surges going to trump the cultivation opportunities in the moments of your daily life? :)

Well that's a no brainer. But I can only imagine that tapping into nature and connecting with its energy field can only take you infinitely deeper so it's very important to know these things.

Jerry Alan Johnson goes into some good detail regarding this in his book on Internal Alchemy.

Daoist Internal Alchemy: Neigong and Weigong Training

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this