LAOLONG

Is tao moral?

hmnnn, Yes, but don't expect morality at a human level

Phew, if the Dao is reading this, he won't be pissed off.

Now its time to walk the (straw) dogs.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Phew, if the Dao is reading this, he won't be pissed off.

Now its time to walk the (straw) dogs.

I challenge your answer "Yes".

Just look at what it has done to Mars and Venus.

I challenge your answer "Yes".

Just look at what it has done to Mars and Venus.

Mars and Venus seem pretty happy.

Mars has its warlike monsters, 

Venus has her beautiful woman.

Ttc ch5

Heaven and Earth are not kind: The ten thousand things are straw dogs to them.

The Sage is not kind: People are straw dogs to him.

We've discussed this in the DDJ sub-area... but I finally came to the opinion to take the words very literally:

Bu Ren:  Not Ren... thus, leaving Ren untranslated but which is a hallmark of Confucian thought as humanness or benevolence.

Thus:  Not [Enter anything you can conjure]

• Like 4

Mars and Venus seem pretty happy.

Mars has its warlike monsters, 

Venus has her beautiful woman.

But Venus is hot as hell and Mars is cold as heaven?  No, that didn't work out well.

Second try.

But both Venus and Mars are lifeless. Only a very small representation of the totality of Dao.

They could even be viewed as dualities of Dao even though I have suggested many times that Dao is beyond dualities.

Morality is the human level. What is it but what we say it is?

Is tao moral?

We created morals for our own benefit. We apply them when we feel it benefits us to, when we remember to, when it makes us feel warm inside.

The Big Whatsit has no gains, no losses; doesn't care whether things are warm or cold. Does not 'care' at all.

• Like 1

We've discussed this in the DDJ sub-area... but I finally came to the opinion to take the words very literally:

Bu Ren:  Not Ren... thus, leaving Ren untranslated but which is a hallmark of Confucian thought as humanness or benevolence.

Thus:  Not [Enter anything you can conjure]

I like this.

• Like 1

I like this.

I'm glad you like it... and I'll show you how it works:

NOT [

First off, we would have to define "moral".

]

:D

• Like 1

Perhaps Heaven and Earth aren't the Dao. Perhaps the Dao is the most benevolent "thing", because it permits Heaven and Earth to continue on as they are.

• Like 1

Morals = right wrong, good bad Thankfully Lao Tzu addresses this to help humanity heal from this mental illness and conditioning by the owners of such false perceptions  and points the way to true freedom. 

• Like 1

The Tao is neither moral nor immoral. It could be described as amoral but as it is above all of these man made concepts that would not be correct either.

• Like 3

it is good beyond human good and evil

Yes, one must conclude that.  Even with all the destruction that can be observed in the universe it must be concluded that the results are the processes that lead to something more balanced, more in harmony.

The general thought is that had it not been for the meteor that hit the Earth 65 million years ago man, and most mammals, would not have evolved.

• Like 2

on the other hand its easy to see why people might feel nihilistic, depressed, pissed off, negative and so forth unless they are close to and living in impartial natural world of bounty instead of in a soul crushing life as a suffering human being seemingly abandoned by Tao...

• Like 1

Yep.  Without a doubt.  Why me?

The rain falls.  Those in the area where it is raining get wet.  Those outside the area get no rain.

• Like 1

The Sun shines and rain falls on the good and wicked alike.

Tao plays no favorites and treats all as straw dogs.

Yet for me there is no doubt that a good man reaps greater benefit from the Tao, than the demonic.

• Like 4

since when does  a good Mother treat her children as "straw dogs" in an indifferent and "could care less" context....

thus that term straw dog is very often if not almost always misused and misunderstood

• Like 2

Children often think their parents (and/or the world) are being mean and cruel when things happen outside their own wisdom or understanding. This spirals outward as our awareness expands.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 2