Brian

Gravity Waves

Thanks  to the OP  for this news item.   Applications of  advanced physics usually  comes about after many years.  I  imagine  a day,  when  people  can  design  a device  that can  use & oppose  the  gravity  waves  using  some clever mechanism.   Then,  we  would  not need  fossil  fuels.  I can imagine a use in  deep space travel, without  the need for enormous amounts of fuel - spaceship  would  simply  ride  the wave.   Sooner  or later,  we have to come up with  energy sources  other  than  fossil fuels.

Thanks to the OP for this news item. Applications of advanced physics usually comes about after many years. I imagine a day, when people can design a device that can use & oppose the gravity waves using some clever mechanism. Then, we would not need fossil fuels. I can imagine a use in deep space travel, without the need for enormous amounts of fuel - spaceship would simply ride the wave. Sooner or later, we have to come up with energy sources other than fossil fuels.

It took enormous amounts of fossil fuel to find those waves.

Edited by Karl

"NSF sold the idea to Congress with the help of powerful legislators from states with a vested interest in LIGO—in particular Louisiana, one of two states that would host the facility, and Massachusetts, which had teamed with the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena to design the project."

If you don't get that this is just pork barrel politics from the paragraph above from science magazine then you are hopelessly deluded.

There is a quote somewhere from Rockerfeller who was trying to obtain funding for his 'green project' which suggested the production of a massive machine to freeze carbon dioxide at the poles to stimulate the Government to provide tax funding.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

"NSF sold the idea to Congress with the help of powerful legislators from states with a vested interest in LIGO—in particular Louisiana, one of two states that would host the facility, and Massachusetts, which had teamed with the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena to design the project."

If you don't get that this is just pork barrel politics from the paragraph above from science magazine then you are hopelessly deluded.

There is a quote somewhere from Rockerfeller who was trying to obtain funding for his 'green project' which suggested the production of a massive machine to freeze carbon dioxide at the poles to stimulate the Government to provide tax funding.

I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation.

• Like 3

I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation.

I you saying I have gravitated to the wrong side or that my post does not have sufficient gravitas ?

Is Gravity derived from Gravy ? Does Bisto have waves ? Sometimes if I mix the gravy it has lumpy black bits which I think are black holes. I don't use a laser inferometer, I just bash 'em about with a spoon.

I you saying I have gravitated to the wrong side or that my post does not have sufficient gravitas ? Is Gravity derived from Gravy ? Does Bisto have waves ? Sometimes if I mix the gravy it has lumpy black bits which I think are black holes. I don't use a laser inferometer, I just bash 'em about with a spoon.

The density of your weighty text makes tons of avoirdupois.

• Like 1

There are all kinds of dogmatic headlines and statements in the newspaper.

In general, I think those statements are more a reflection of media and political interests and efforts to generate profit and power by those interests.

In my experience the folks actually doing the work tend to be enthusiastic and passionate while maintaining a healthy caution about the significance and longetivity of their findings.

Did you watch any of the official announcements? These are the top officials for the National Science Foundation making these statements, not some dogmatic newspaper. (see above post.)

They are claiming it as proof that gravity waves are detected.

They recorded a laser hitting a detector at a different time than normal. This image is everything.

gravity.png

Nothing but two giant black holes millions of miles away could have caused the laser to hit at a detector at different time than normal. right? Indisputable proof! (Nature Science Foundation). 

No, anything that we do know about or don't know about can cause this. This is not good scientific method. 

Edited by MooNiNite

aye, it wasn't the best animation to show the waves. there's certainly a whole bunch of issues that haven't been covered in their press conference or literature on the finding.. not surprising to find military interests attached to it.. thats where all the money goes.. what are they up to, i think $750b a year now. mental.

• Like 1

aye, it wasn't the best animation to show the waves. there's certainly a whole bunch of issues that haven't been covered in their press conference or literature on the finding.. not surprising to find military interests attached to it.. thats where all the money goes.. what are they up to, i think $750b a year now. mental.[/quote

It's just all so totally awesome isn't it ;-)

That last bit....we love the NSF, it's really just like a moonshot, where we go next..... (Give us more money)

I think this experiment is a useful step towards confirming our best theories about the nature of space/time.  

Odd that people communicating over the internet via computers cannot understand this - perhaps you should return to scratching on slates. :)

Why? 

The actual visuals aren't that much.  Its the same with super colliders.  Not much, but the implications are exciting because they expand our understanding of the fundamental forces of the universe.   Thats built into our genes, we are explorers we push boundaries.  Moonnite your video's assume we haven't explored Antarctic and there's a huge ice wall there holding in the water and pushing out outerspace.  But we have. 

Mankind needs to know.  Its not our strength or speed thats kept our species alive.  Its our curiosity, our exploration.  Without it we'd have gone extinct or at least stagnated.  Culture itself would not exist and we'd be back in the caves afraid of lightening and thunder.  Unable to protect ourselves from catastrophes. 

At the time fundamental science always seem wasteful.  Like why do we need to know what the heart looks like or why it operates?  It'll do it whether we know it not.  Same with germs, how we could we ever know what they do?  Or oxygen, who cares how if it exists and what properties it has?  In the 1700's what good is a battery? 

Whats cutting edge often ends up being engineered into our society.  Maybe it takes a few generations but it done. 

Here's what some envision uses for the discovery in the future- http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-future-of-gravitational-wave-astronomy/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScientificAmerican-News+%28Content%3A+News%29

synopsis:

“Imagine light having never been collected in a photograph,” says Janna Levin, an astrophysicist at Barnard College of Columbia University and author of a forthcoming book about LIGO. “The first thing people want to do is just to capture the recording, which is what LIGO has done.”

Soon, astronomers say, LIGO will record and unveil far more than the birth cries of newborn black holes. LIGO and other operational observatories are already looking for ripples from the violent death throes of massive stars and from collisions of city-sized orbs of degenerate matter called neutron stars. Current observatories could also help reveal what makes spinning neutron stars called pulsars tick, mapping their starquake-shaken interiors and any centimeters-high “mountains” (which would weigh roughly the mass of a planet because of neutron stars’ extreme density) that could pop up on their surfaces.

Decades from now, new generations of space telescopes could capture the mergers of supermassive black holes and glimpse pulsars spiraling to doom down their maws, or see snapping “cosmic strings,” proton-thin intergalactic defects in spacetime that may have been stretched across the infant universe during an inflationary growth spurt. Tracked and timed by radio telescopes, rapidly spinning pulsars can themselves be transformed into galaxy-spanning detectors sensitive to spacetime ripples with wavelengths measured in light-years. Ultimately, the most ambitious gravitational wave observatories astronomers can presently conceive might someday record the hiss of waves emitted in the first fractions of a trillionth of a second after the Big Bang. Then, cosmologists could watch—could listen—as the first seeds of cosmic structure crystallized from a seething quantum fog.

What most excites scientists, though, is the unknown. “Are there things out there that we’ve never even wrapped our heads around with telescopes?” Levin wonders. “Seeing black holes collide is a golden discovery, but we expected that. What else is out there? I want to see something dark.”

“The skies will never be the same,” says Szabolcs Márka, a physicist and LIGO team member at Columbia University. “Imagine you can touch, smell, taste, and see, and one day you can hear. That day is a glorious day. This is what has happened to us, as humanity. From today, we can hear the cosmos. We can see the unseen.”

• Like 1

Why? 

It's a straw man. :-)

You don't agree with tax payer funded schools ......so you are against education for everyone ?

• Like 1

Why? 

Over a hundred years ago, a theory was proposed which built upon history in a logical fashion and which addressed several troubling discrepancies between the current theory and new observations. This theory seemed illogical to those who didn't understand it but it fit observational/experimental information better than the current theory and it made several bold predictions which could be observed and measured -- two essential characteristics of any meaningful new theory. One disconcerting detail was that this new theory placed a restriction on the frame of reference of the observer.

Several years later, this special-case theory was generalized to remove the restriction on the frame of reference of the observer. This expanded version was logically and mathematically consistent with both the previous version and with all relevant collected data. Additionally, it further broadened the weirdness & wonderfulness of our understanding of the behavior of reality as we observe it, and it introduced several additional predictions which could be observed and measured.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 2

In the U.S we needs more Science, Engineering and Math graduates.  There are more jobs available then people to fill them.  The country with the most of these will do the best, the country with the least will lag behind.

Without a strong educational push and respect, there will be people who don't know the basics (like the shape of the planet) and are much more likely to fall victim to any pseudo science that comes there way.   Because they can't distinguish real science from charlatans.  Hint, it takes serious study, way beyond watching internet videos.  Like any skill, you need to build a foundation, starting with basic math and history, following the how's and why's that led to progress.

• Like 2

In the U.S we needs more Science, Engineering and Math graduates.  There are more jobs available then people to fill them.  The country with the most of these will do the best, the country with the least will lag behind.

Without a strong educational push and respect, there will be people who don't know the basics (like the shape of the planet) and are much more likely to fall victim to any pseudo science that comes there way.   Because they can't distinguish real science from charlatans.  Hint, it takes serious study, way beyond watching internet videos.  Like any skill, you need to build a foundation, starting with basic math and history, following the how's and why's that led to progress.

There are plenty of scientists that spout pseudo science and fall for it.

You seem to confuse skill with education. A monkey can be taught a skill if he has the capacity, but education is very different. It isn't the passing on of a skill, it is the ability to turn experience into concepts and integrate those experiences with other concepts in a logical fashion.

It is philosophy that sets the stage for the science. Theory is not science, but conceptual integrations as a result of experience/observations that may well include previous scientific knowledge, or it might be observational. We create all the time in order to solve problems in order to improve our position. Science does not take place in a silo, it isn't necessary to grow scientists in a Petri dish.

Over a hundred years ago, a theory was proposed which built upon history in a logical fashion and which addressed several troubling discrepancies between the current theory and new observations.  

there is a theory that the new observations were fabricated to accommodate a new self-serving theory. At the interstice of the centuries there were new non-falsified theories of and on everything sprouting from the same source. Coincidence? I dont think so.

fall victim to any pseudo science that comes there way. 

You mean like validating without a doubt that supposed black holes are merging together and sending supposed subtle waves to earth because a laser hits a detector at a different time?

Edited by MooNiNite

Why?

Well, Brian has answered above why this is significant.  From your other posts you clearly don't understand how scientific experiments work.  It may help to read the science reports written on this experiment not just journalist articles.  Or if you are really interested take a course in astrophysics.

I think this experiment is a useful step towards confirming our best theories about the nature of space/time.  

You can't explain why?

Odd that people communicating over the internet via computers cannot understand this - perhaps you should return to scratching on slates. :)

The problem is that you are insulting people. Referring to them as having a lower understanding, but you can't even explain your own understanding when asked to. 

The problem is that you are insulting people. Referring to them as having a lower understanding, but you can't even explain your own understanding when asked to. 

You do have a lower understanding of that experiment and also you have posted many times about the earth being flat.  It's not that I can't explain it's that I refuse to do so.

Insulting? What about insulting others here by posting useless flat earth conspiracy BS as you have as of late.

• Like 1