Sign in to follow this  
3bob

how many days, weeks, months or years before you are broke....

how many days weeks, months, or years before you are broke and more or less living on the street if you lose your job?  (and don't get a new one)

...before or if then we will still have all of this far-out stuff to talk about, some percentage of which may pan out to reduce the suffering of billions of human and other types of beings. 

Seems a bit pessimistic.  Hopefully I'll always have Parents, wife, sisters, friends, cousins, nieces, nephews and one day successful children to sponge off of.

The simple bitter truth is I'm not going be able to change the fact of suffering.  Though I might question your number of billions.  Through Western eyes which too often equate $$ and things for happiness, yes, but through other eyes, the numbers might be much smaller.  I have no magic to change the life course of others, but I can give to charity, some ducats here and there, a flock of chickens through Heifer to some family each month.  We can all do something.  For example tomorrow my family will make a dozen or two brown bagged lunches for the local needy.  Maybe enough somethings adds up.

Today, the sky is blue, the sun is bright, the grass is green and air is crisp.   To not enjoy the blessings we've been given, seems to me, would be a horrible waste.  

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 5

As long as my government keeps having the banks print money I'll be fine.  That's where all my retirement pay comes from.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

the billions who don't know where their next meal is coming from, or a drink of clean water and breath of fresh air...or where they will sleep for the night and if they will wake up and see that bright sun and blue sky one more time - yet somehow they carry on...

thus a lot that transcendent bullshit needs a good kick in the ass to get down from its ivory tower and deal with us on the ground.

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 2

Yeah, most of us can live well with a lot less than we think we need. 

Sure, it's nice to help those more needy than we are but, really, no matter how much we help we will never solve the problems humanity has created for itself.

So we do what we feel we should do and let it go.  And there are some who will always be needy for whatever the reason.

Truthfully, I have never been in the condition of being needy.  Wanting more?  Sure.  So I worked for it.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

Watched this doco on an Indian family of rat catchers.

The family would usually cook their catch for dinner,with curry oh course.

They recieved small payment per rat,and they could sell the rats.

So when is enough enough,they always wanted to catch more rats.

• Like 1

how many days weeks, months, or years before you are broke and more or less living on the street if you lose your job?  (and don't get a new one)

...before or if then we will still have all of this far-out stuff to talk about, some percentage of which may pan out to reduce the suffering of billions of human and other types of beings. 

immaterial ... I have no job, I am not  broke or living on the street . 

• Like 1

As long as my government keeps having the banks print money I'll be fine.  That's where all my retirement pay comes from.

They should cut out the middle man and let you print your own. 

• Like 2

if things get bad in Florida there are a lot of gators and anacondas to fry up and eat...and sand that could be turned into glass coins.

• Like 1

the billions who don't know where their next meal is coming from, or a drink of clean water and breath of fresh air...or where they will sleep for the night and if they will wake up and see that bright sun and blue sky one more time - yet somehow they carry on...

thus a lot that transcendent bullshit needs a good kick in the ass to get down from its ivory tower and deal with us on the ground.

Not sure your complaining and belly aching does them a whole lot of good either.  Does it?  Are you helping anyone or just a fast furious typist on the net.  Expressing your feeelings.

Though if it makes you feel better, keep doing it, see how many problems you solve. 

• Like 1

who is "them"? they are us either today or tomorrow when we lose a decent job, and have no one sponge off of... :wacko:

who is "them"? they are us either today or tomorrow when we lose a decent job, and have no one sponge off of... :wacko:

Excellent point.  It could be us instead of them.  Fortune/misfortune is a funny game.  And it really never takes sides.

Hank Williams Sr as "Luke The Drifter" did a song that spoke to this.

And there is the old Taoist story about fortune/misfortune.  We never really know what any events in our life will eventually lead to.

• Like 3

Skillful means.. Live life in a way so that you have skills that can earn you a living.   Put away money, if you can, for the future. 

Shit happens and we can be prepared for it, sometimes. 

I was being slightly flippant when I used the word sponge, but its very important have good friends and good relations with your family, a powerful side affect is that they'll love and care enough about you to help you when you're down. 

Invest for a rainy day.  Invest in learning needed skills, invest part of every pay check (if you can), invest in knowing, helping and hanging out with family and friends.  It pays off during the rainy season. 

Enjoying the sun, the sky, the air isn't transcendental, its real and right now (a little more real yesterday).  Billions can step out right now, feel it, be thankful and smile.  It's good.   To take a vow of permanent sadness seems like a waste of life. 

Enjoy life, do what you can to help others.

• Like 2

The problem of "the needy" is not really a problem that "humanity" created for itself.

Political, industrial, and financial systems were created by and for a small elite.

Who have actually by force denied other humans access to the Earth accordingly.

As a means of controlling and exploiting "humanity".

As an asset.

And the material (the Earth, natural resources, etc) that is traded to provide this illusion - who originally bought that?

Or is it originally simply "taken"?

And "humanity" held off by threat of force?

So the question seems - how many days weeks, months, or years before you are broke and more or less living on the street if you stop doing what these people want and cut yourself off from their stratified punishment/reward/control system?

Would you be helpless to conduct your own life on Earth without this false "support"?

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 2

so the answer seems that millions and billions can't do that realistically and logistically....a very tiny percentage now and then, here and there, maybe.

ok Nungali how are you getting by ?

Pension ....     and the black market. 

I was smart enough to secure some land over 20 years ago,  and move onto a community ( commune)  at the time, my place ( with cabin, outbuilding, 'patch'  - about 1/2 acre)  cost $8000 , the rest of the place is covered with a variety of food trees and sources, we have a small sprout, tofu and tempeh 'factory' , river, timber. my place has its own veggie garden. All non-personal expenses ( rates, repairs to machinery -  tractor, water pump etc -  electricity to common buildings, bath house / shower block / laundry , etc. are shared , my share is $30 a week. 

I used to work ... I would frolic on the commune  for a few months, float down  river, chase hippy chicks, go to the beach,, , garden, paint, do martial arts,  then go off and work 2 - 9 months stints in the film industry ( for big $$$$s )  .  Now I am retired. 

I am glad I made that decision back then to secure this place ... probably the smartest thing I have done . Rental and buy prices now ?   

Forget it !    No way I would be able to live the lifestyle  I believe I should be able to be accustomed to  .     ;)

• Like 3

Many of 'them' have stayed here until they got back on their feet ..... or wandered off somewhere else;  people living in the cracks between phases of their life, expectant mums ( a lot of babies been born here ) young people with kids,  older people cruising around in campervans,   'lost' , tourists , abandoned youth  (you are 16 now - get out !   :o  )  .... etc 

Ummmmm  ....   yes, they are still alive and kicking  ( thought I better add that   )  

• Like 1

Sponge off .  

It is true !        Thats why I got the good life !      Mostly from the land   ( resources  'theft' , exploitation' and mismanagement , on a national level )   and , on a personal level ,  global exploitation  ( eg. I can clothe myself and  do other stuff very cheaply due to exploitation of over seas workers .... and their people land and environment ) .

• Like 2

I've done some of the low cost, down home country things you mention Nungali but that was many years ago when I was much younger...(and when medical/dental issues were hardly a concern)  anyway good for you and I hope you meant more barter than you meant black market - being that "the man" sometimes uses radar on those off the grid.

• Like 1

Those were some good points Lerner and can't be argued against.  (although putting away money can to some degree since if it's in a computer file it can disappear into thin air in a second or two and if it's in cash it could end with a value like that of German Marks late in WWll, in other words good for starting fires if you have the firewood)

• Like 1

I've done some of the low cost, down home country things you mention Nungali but that was many years ago when I was much younger...(and when medical/dental issues were hardly a concern)  anyway good for you and I hope you meant more barter than you meant black market - being that "the man" sometimes uses radar on those off the grid.

and helicopters with 3 types of cameras , and  the whole taxpayer treasury , lawyers , solicitors and barristers, Supreme Court cases and appeals  .... been there done that  .... and won. 

What you say, (and I was saying ) eventually  came out :

Crown Solicitor (prosecutor) when she realised her case was going down the tube ....  " But Your Honour !  These people are living on pristine prime land, amidst National Parks and Forests, with magnificent outlooks, they dont even have a debts or a mortgage to pay off !  And it only costs them $30 a week !   "

Judge;  " I know  ..... they managed their company very well didnt they ? " 

( I liked that judge   :) )

My opinion is ; even if all shit breaks loose tomorrow  and I loose everything - I have already had such a great and fortunate life .... I am already a winner !   .... I have though that for a loooong time now .... but I am still alive, for reasons I cant fathom.  But who am I to judge .... apparently 'the universe' want me to be still here lapping it up .... okay then ...  I am not one to go against the  flow of ' the Dao '    ;)

Still here !  

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this