Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

How to Enhance Concentration? Urgend question!

I am practicing Chi Kung for over one year intensly and I observed, that I lost a huge aount of my ability to concentrate. (Measured by watching a second hand on a watch. Less than 14 sec., actually vs. 40 sec.one year ago). I also feel much more unconcentrated in my job! Okay, I am 49 yrs now; maybe it has to do with aging. But,whatever the reason for this loss is: I need and I want to enhance my ability to concentrate! But how?

The meditation (I don't  know the name) in which one observes his/her own breath would fit well in my program. Question: Does this kind of medtation enhance concentration? Or do you (I ask experienced meditators) recommend something else?

I read the book "Concentration" of Mouni Sadhu which deals with watching a second hand as a means for enhancing concentration, but....   really.... is there no other way? This is very dry stuff!

Thank you in advance!

I prefer to "concentrate" on things that are interesting to look at...like instead of a second hand on a clock, I would rather look into the distance at mountains, or look up close at the details of a leaf. When you find something that captivates you, then it's easy to pay attention. I think it's not good to have something too boring.

• Like 1

One solution from a different angle.

For concentration nothing beats the martial arts, particularly weapons training.  I wonder if there's a dojo near you?  If so, check it out, see if it clicks.  It may include some meditation and form work also.

I prefer to "concentrate" on things that are interesting to look at...like instead of a second hand on a clock, I would rather look into the distance at mountains, or look up close at the details of a leaf. When you find something that captivates you, then it's easy to pay attention. I think it's not good to have something too boring.

What you are developing is interest, not concentration.

And you are training your mind to follow interests, desires.

How boring is the breath? Mega boring. If you want to develop concentration you have to learn the components of attention, how to work with them and train them, regardless of whether the object is interesting or not.

• Like 1

at the most fundamental level the basis for concentration is virtue (right view). if there's still work to be done there, improvements will be manyfold greater than increasing any technical understanding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_Eightfold_Path

'I need and I want to enhance my ability to concentrate!'

could a clue there as to where things are going wrong.

edit: just noticed this was in the hindu discussion forum :lol: still very relevant though.

What you are developing is interest, not concentration.

And you are training your mind to follow interests, desires.

How boring is the breath? Mega boring. If you want to develop concentration you have to learn the components of attention, how to work with them and train them, regardless of whether the object is interesting or not.

That's one argument.

Sign in to follow this