Owledge

"Star Citizen" indie game project - grand scale love instead of fear

In case you haven't heard about it, Star Citizen is a first person universe space MMO game, and it is almost entirely crowdfunded. It started with the biggest crowdfunding campaign ever and currently has been funded with over 100 million dollars and has over a million registered people.

What I find so interesting and also fascinating, captivating and uplifting is how this project pretty much represents the antithesis to the much-cursed corporate business approach that boils down to greed and thus fear. Star Citizen on the other hand is rooted in the passionate ideas of one person who can call all the shots and has, together with people sharing his dream, gathered a team of very competent people to make it happen. And pretty much everything trickles down from that point.

This describes the basic mindset and approach: http://robertsspaceindustries.com/the-pledge

I am so excited about this because it is like pioneer work for a necessary turnaround if you will, fueling endeavors with love instead of abstract existential fear. I mean, if you look at the 'big business' world, it's pretty much a club of people with deep and severe issues who build a pampering zone for avoiding to resolve those issues, and thus they succeed in the environment they build and spread that fear via system design.

I come from a skeptic and hesitant stance, generally considering "Early Access" games a total "no", yet I found myself spending quite a lot on helping to make this game succeed, a game which is currently in alpha development phase. Not only that, but I very actively help finding bugs and writing reports about them so that others benefit from a better game earlier. This again reminds me of how being involved in something meaningful that helps shape a better future fills me with energy.
In my life situation, I should be all focused on taking, not giving, but I don't mind at all in this case, for I know this is worth it.

It is nice to see projects cropping up in various areas of life that live the solution instead of fiddling with the problem. You might have heard about things like urban farming initiatives and such, but here you see, even in game development changes are getting really big and indie gaming is no longer something you can associate exclusively to small-scale projects.

I'm curious to hear the thoughts from people in this spiritual community about it. Also feel free to ask any questions you might have. I have quickly become somewhat of an expert on this topic by now, mostly effortlessly. :-)

Before I keep turning this into a book... A link says more than a thousand words ... or how did the saying go? ^^
General game overview: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game/spaceflight
Current state of the game: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list

Edited by Owledge

Is it as good as Elite : Dangerous?

From what I know about ED, much better and very different, due to it being first-person based (= much better immersion - it's designed as an imagination of an actual future universe as detailed as possible), with much better graphics and it is going to be an MMO. Of course you can do amazing things with a much bigger budget.

The links contain some videos that should give a good impression.

P.S.: Did I say "much better" three times? ^^

Edited by Owledge

I used to follow the development of a crowdsource funded space procedural called Limit Theory - it looked like it was going to be really good - but for unknown reason the single developer stopped posting.