Brian

Trees Have Social Networks

Wandering through the forest that grows all around where I live is vital for my sense of wellbeing. And the forest regeneration projects I've undertaken here over many years have taught me plenty about the complex processes of natural healing and hence the Dao. The feel of undisturbed old-growth forest is rich and full of invisible presences; nature spirits abound. Of course, scientific language cannot cope with such ineffable subtleties, but I imagine that's what captivates Peter Wohlleben. 

There's great mystery in wilderness of which this article presents a welcome taste. Thanks for the reference. 

"Reading up on the behavior of trees — a topic he learned little about in forestry school — he found that, in nature, trees operate less like individuals and more as communal beings. Working together in networks and sharing resources, they increase their resistance.

By artificially spacing out trees, the plantation forests that make up most of Germany’s woods ensure that trees get more sunlight and grow faster. But, naturalists say, creating too much space between trees can disconnect them from their networks, stymieing some of their inborn resilience mechanisms."

• Like 3

I'm going to share the time while working with a tree, whom incidentally I consider a friend, when it became energetically and tangibly apparent in the midst of the form that she was playing Qi Gong along with me...

This triggered a very gentle, but instantaneous and pervasive expansion of sense of self, into samadhi and a tangible awareness of the processes all interconnected through myself and the network of trees in the park around me.  It also triggered a flooding rush of sense memories of my innate love of and core experiential connection to trees throughout my entire life.  Like a flash of lightning in a clear blue sky... Unshakable and piercing to the core.

Indeed, it is now an apparent truth for me that trees in general are engaged in a life process of Qi and Nei Gong and such is one of the cornerstones of their existence.  I routinely high five their branches as I pass them by, caress their trunks and frequently chat with them and remind them that I am aware and grateful for what they embody and who they are...

• Like 6

I vividly remember watching two trees vying for a sun spot in a dense covered river creek.

A larger branch came over atop another and pushed down on it and broke it - then in a fairly swift motion it moved back to the open sun spot and closed it off.

It was an impressive and powerful day.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Took this earlier. I've known these trees since I was a little kid.

Thought the very visual representation of their connectedness was relevant to this topic.

untitled_by_dustybeijing-d9sfs2m.jpg

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 6

How naive,after more than twenty years working with trees,have only recently become aware of their brilliance.

They can and have physically healed and continue fine tuning,a rejuvenating process felt in all those past injuries.

Things are different,calm is everywhere,the little trees planted over twenty years ago are no longer juveniles,they have awoken.

They are a forest,communicating with them is new and constant sometimes not so subtle,my first experience was a surprise.

Unsure and feeling silly,standing under a manna gum tree,thinking well 'how does it work,talking to trees?'

"I thought I was well,physically well."

Within minutes of standing under this manna gum,since named Andromeda,left leg and left arm began buzzing,it felt as though I had taken a dose of ibuprofen,both these limbs had been injured left arm 12 months before was in a cast due to hyperflexion of elbow.

Left leg had been numb for many years and was healed,so I thought,before when walking,left foot would thump after placing heel to the ground,now have regained fine muscle control,both feet now balanced and walk softly.

Left arm has no longer any residual soreness as it had before.

As the trees are now big,flocks of galahs and cockatoos often fly wildly about,possums live in trees and their growl easily equals that

of the Tasmanian devil.

Still learning.

• Like 5