Sign in to follow this  
Oneironaut

Any sanshou/sanda practitioners? I have a quick question to ask.

Power grip is mostly in the lesser fingers (middle, ring, small) so these are the most important, along with the thumb of course.

• Like 1

You don't use any grip because you wear boxing gloves that don't allow to grip. So train with boxing gloves and you'll see how handy are taichi sweeps and throws that don't use grips, just elbows and shoulder "grips".

• Like 1

You don't use any grip because you wear boxing gloves that don't allow to grip. So train with boxing gloves and you'll see how handy are taichi sweeps and throws that don't use grips, just elbows and shoulder "grips".

That's awesome. They have some really neat throws and seamless transitions from striking and grappling. I'm going to have to look into it more and find a sanshou school that can teach me that.

Edited by Oneironaut

Yes in my opinion sanshou is the most complete art, because judo throws wouldn't work but on striking fists and kicks. Even in Muay Thay they don't allow throws so this is limiting. Also sambo which is very simular to sanshou but in sambo you still can have grips on the gi because of the gloves.

Edited by Andrei

Judo descends from Chinese/Mongolian shuaijiao. This doesn't look like judo, it looks like shuai techniques...

Judo actually descends from jujutsu. Jujutsu descends from Chinese/Mongolian shuaijiao and other Chinese grappling forms.  :)

Either way they all share a common foundation. That likely explains their resemblance (some of those throws look like a modified uchi mata). 

Edited by Oneironaut

Sign in to follow this