Frankly, I thought that many posts appearing today were unhappy posts and decided that a better way to spend the days was to celebrate Mozart's Birthday (Schubert's too oddly enough) instead, so to start off here is a favorite for almost fifty years, who would have thought that such an odd and ungainly instrument should be such fun?

Feel free to post away, I may post more.

• Like 4

A little "eye candy" for us Taoist Texts?

I feel Mozart is perfection. Also recalled my times in dreamy Vienna, walking daily by his house with a memorial plaque that says Mozart was born here. Somehow these bright souvenir candy really ties all these fond memories together for me so i decided to share. Thanks for the reminder that a heavenly genius was born today. Or at all.

• Like 1

Here are two Mozart Piano Sonatas that I used to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZep2PH0kHE

I love the beautiful series of variations that begins this one:

I consider myself one of the world's truely great fifth rate pianists.  I can however call myself a pianist and not a piano player, because i actually studied with a concert pianist, a remarkable Russian woman who had studied in the old days a the the Imperial Conservatory, who when I brought in a copy of a Debussy prelude to the lesson said, in her soft Russian accented English, "Oh, I remember when this was published", her "touch" was fading, but her soul was still bright and she taught me what playing the piano was really all about, a largely wordless communication.  I will never forget my afternoons with her, so many afternoons ago.

• Like 4

I feel Mozart is perfection. Also recalled my times in dreamy Vienna, walking daily by his house with a memorial plaque that says Mozart was born here. Somehow these bright souvenir candy really ties all these fond memories together for me so i decided to share. Thanks for the reminder that a heavenly genius was born today. Or at all.

You're certainly welcome!  Straight from the Fourth Heaven he came to us.

Mozart, Mozart...such a talented musician.

Operas: Don Giovanni, The Magic Flute, The Marriage of Figaro, Cosi fan tutte, Idomeneo, Zaide

Compositions: piano concertos 9, 17, 20, 22, 23 & 25; symphonies no. 40 in G Minor, no, 41 in C Major & no, 39 in E-flat Major; Requiem, etc.

Liturgic, Sacred, Chamber, Serenades, Church Sonatas, etc.

Here's one scene I like from the film Amadeus:

(pure genius)

(same)

2nd aria (pure horror!)

aria (heaven on Earth)

(same)

Liturgical and Sacred work:

Serenades:

Happy 260th. :)

• Like 1

Just a reminder for those who have forgotten.

My favorite Synphony:

and this wonderful piano piece whose first section, with its intense Sturm and Drang proto-Romanticism, anticipates everything that Chopin was to do, and finishes with a fugue which summarizes all that went before in a way that only Mozart could do:

While the YouTube page credits Rudolf Serkin, a great master in his own right, the picture is of his son Peter, and I am almost certain that it is Peter Serkin's performance, since it was Peter Serkin's recording of this which introduced me to this wonderful piece given to me as a birthday present a little closer to 50 years ago than I care to admit, and this sounds too much like that recording and it is difficult for me to believe that Peter Serkin would have imitated his Father as closely as the resemblance would require, but maybe he did.

ZYD

Edit: Added link to Sturm and Drang for those unfamiliar with the term.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this