Marblehead

"Well" and Anarchy

Well, it looks like this is the only sub-forum I will be active in from now on.  All the other sub-forums are or have the potential for ownership and the power to remove anything anyone posts in them.

I really will miss talking about Taoism.

Have a great day.

• Like 2

Well, it looks like this is the only sub-forum I will be active in from now on.  All the other sub-forums are or have the potential for ownership and the power to remove anything anyone posts in them.

I really will miss talking about Taoism.

Have a great day.

You sound annoyed.

Personally, I see no upside and have no interest in playing that ownership game.

• Like 5

Personally, I see no upside and have no interest in playing that ownership game.

No fucking one has ownership of any thing I say.  Such controls are not allowed in my real life and will not be allowed here.

• Like 9

So this is the only forum where you can't dictate to others what they post? How long has it been like that? maybe we should all just start posting threads here instead then

So this is the only forum where you can't dictate to others what they post? How long has it been like that? maybe we should all just start posting threads here instead then

The way things are going it won't be long before this thread is hidden then there won't be anyplace you can post without what you have said being controlled by someone else.

• Like 1

This was very much dawei's brainchild and to be fair he saw it in a wholly positive light, the idea being that it would permit self- moderation via "ownership" of threads.

I never saw it as anything other than the wishy washy brainchild of intellectual incompetence.

On the bright side what has been done may yet be undone.

I respect your comments Chang.

Thoughts are sometimes horrible things and if the thoughts are put into action, well, what can I say?

Yes, we need a bright side.

• Like 3

This was very much dawei's brainchild and to be fair he saw it in a wholly positive light, the idea being that it would permit self- moderation via "ownership" of threads.

I never saw it as anything other than the wishy washy brainchild of intellectual incompetence.

On the bright side what has been done may yet be undone.

I saw it as well-intentioned but a bit naive in that it was predicated on players acting from collective interest rather than with personal objectives. Humans are human...

(That paragraph applies equally well to quite a few threads, actually.)

Edited by Brian
  • Like 3

Just like any tool, it may be used to help or harm.  I guess it is inevitable that some folks will see an opportunity and push its use for selfish and manipulative reasons, not being interested in open discussion, but rather desiring the illusion of control, or protecting personal feelings and beliefs.

I guess that is both fortunate and unfortunate simultaneously, depending on how I view the circumstances.

In my case, I'm just paying very close attention to who the OP of any thread is and then I choose refrain from joining in any conversations that are 'owned' by folks whose actions are not trustworthy of being fair and open to real discussion.  Let them talk to themselves... seems like that's what's often happening anyway, regardless if others are talking or not.

It hasn't really affected my posting as of yet, other than two instances.  For the most part, I find everyone here to be exceptionally lucid, open and wise.  I sincerely love this place.

• Like 6

Valid views. 

So I could start a thread about Taoist Philosophy and then insert only concepts from VooDoo and if anyone challenged what I was saying I could simply delete their post.  Great!!!

• Like 3

Yup, or as I noticed in my recent Dreaming with the Dead topic, Gatito chose to link his response to my topic, into his own thread of the same name, where he will maintain control over it and thus assure that no one else can influence his responses... rather clever.

Perhaps we will end up with a forum of linked responses, only posting in areas where we 'own control' over our words.  Although, it's still possible to just delete their link to their response, if it degrades the conversation.

I'm not entirely certain, but I feel I still favor forums moderated by mods, to the best of their abilities.  Mistakes are inevitable, in the end, the only real mistake in my world, is not trying anything.  So you tried something and it didn't work.  At least you engaged.  The only one who never fucks up, is the one who never contributes, but that to me, is the greatest fuck up of all.  Connections in life are what give it meaning to me.  And the time for me to control my words has always been when I'm about to release them from my big Nordic face.  And as for controlling others' words?  Yuck, no thanks, fuck that!  That's the realm of despots, fascists and dictators.  Say what you want to me, if I don't like it, or it offends me, I'll thank you for being honest so I know that I don't need to spend more of my energy and time around you.   

It's been interesting for me to watch this unfold as it brought the concept of owning things back to my mind.  For many years now, I have found the whole idea of ownership of anything patently absurd.   What can be owned? 

Not land, not objects, not our own bodies, not our thoughts, not our emotions, not our breath... in fact, I think breath is the ultimate form of recycling... but I digress... what was I talking abou...

• Like 4

Well, the owners permission have been removed for General Dis. so you can post there now.

• Like 3

i am so out of the loop i reckon,

let me get this straight,

if a teacher of some taoist system(or any other, ie voodoo, buddhism etc) starts a thread here now,

they can filter/censor the conversation?

like they could allow the positive remarks concerning their school

at the same time keep anyone from expressing concerns

or even hiding posts from anyone who has experience of that school

that does not bow down to the guru?

if a teacher of some taoist system(or any other, ie voodoo, buddhism etc) starts a thread here now,

If its in any of the subsections except general an doff topic - yes they could - but I guess the mods would deal with any abuse of this power ... possibly ... cos they are only granted if you use them responsibly.  However what I object to is commenting on a thread and then returning later to find your comment gone - especially if it is with no explanation at all.

• Like 4

so its intent is to curtail off topic disruptions, hijacks, and excessive trolling?

Yes, that's the intent.
  • Like 2

Well, the owners permission have been removed for General Dis. so you can post there now.

That's only a half truth.  All the sub-forums in that sub-forum are still Ownership sub-forums.

Yes!!!!!  That is my biggest objection.  Lies unbound with no one able to challenges the lies.

Exactly.  That is what the Ownership allows for.  The Mo Pie guys will love it!!!

• Like 1

If its in any of the subsections except general an doff topic - yes they could - but I guess the mods would deal with any abuse of this power ... possibly ... cos they are only granted if you use them responsibly.  However what I object to is commenting on a thread and then returning later to find your comment gone - especially if it is with no explanation at all.

More work for the Mods rather than less work for them.  They would have to verify the falseness within a post or a violation of forum rules before they could hide or move a false post.

And I agree totally about the disappearing posts.  Totally unacceptable.  And the Owners would likely never notify the poster that they had deleted one of their posts and why they did so.

• Like 1

so its intent is to curtail off topic disruptions, hijacks, and excessive trolling?

Ironically that is the only reason I would agree with such a policy.  But in the process you are allowing a much greater devil to come into life.

More work for the Mods rather than less work for them.  They would have to verify the falseness within a post or a violation of forum rules before they could hide or move a false post.

And I agree totally about the disappearing posts.  Totally unacceptable.  And the Owners would likely never notify the poster that they had deleted one of their posts and why they did so.

As far as I ma concerned I own every one of my posts.  If someone wants to remove them they have to give a reason.  By being a member I consent to the mods having these powers - but no-one else.  So I agree with you about not posting in those subs.  I suggest just start threads in General and Off Topic until this experiment is over.

• Like 2